New Dj Station

B

bla8765

Which is the best DJ set for a newbie and is uder $500? I want like 2 turntables and a good mixer...THanx

Everyone is going to say stanton.....so that'z what I'm supposed to say, right????

Wrong.

Numark. Battle Pak 2 - $500 Good setup, see the review on the home page.
Phat Pak - $600 Better setup, with the same mixer as above just in fancy-pants chrome.

I agree on the battlepak.........its cheap and direct drive which is very good......for more info u should read the review on onlinedj its pretty helpful......

Multiple Parts

I checked that one out and it looks great...If i was going to buy all different parts, what would i need and what should i get?

Well, for $500, all u really CAN get is a bundle package. Cuz a decent pair of direct drive turntables will run u $400, a decent mixer will run u about $110, carteridges about $60/pair, and a pair of decent headphones at least $30....and then tax or shipping. That all comes to about $650 (including shipping/tax), and u still haven't even begun to think about vinyl yet.

So if you are starting out, and that'z your budget, a package will be your best bet.

The Numark Battle-Pak 2, Stanton Skratch-Pak (which is still over $500), and Gemini Scratchmaster (around $400) are all good packages with decent equipment that will last u a while, at least until u want to upgrade. I just prefer the Battle-Pak 2 cuz it comes with a far superior mixer to either the Stanton or the Gemini. And the Gemini doesn't even give u felt slipmats; they give u rubber, and these are useless. They try to make up for it with some stupid gimmick dj video and a (cheap) gemini hat.

This is an expensive hobby, and u will find that u spend MUCH more on vinyl than u do on gear. Especially if u are like me, who is hooked on buying vinyl like a junkie gets hooked on crack. I would venture to say I spend $200/month on vinyl.

guess what :)?

You all know what pack im gonna say, of course the Numark Battle Pack 2. It is a great pack for a great price. So I would say go for that one.

<marqueeI have no clue about any of this Dj mixing stuff!</marquee>

Definitions

CAn someone give me definitions here? I have no clue what beatmatching is... Please help me out...

OK.... BEATMATCHING:

you have 2 SONGS. One plays at a certain speed. One plays at another speed that'z completely different. Your job as the DJ is to keep a dancefloor dancing. If you just run one song into another, the people will have to shuffle-step between songs. Then they get sick of that and leave. Then they don't buy any more alcohol. Then the club owner gets pissed. Then you get fired. So the idea is to make it so that 2 songs are playing at the same speed. That'z where an accurate pitch adjust comes in.

song 1 = 135 Beats Per Minute
song 2 = 140 Beats Per Minute

Mathematically, song 2 is 3% faster than song 1. Therefore, in order for song 2 to flow into the mix, it must be slowed by 3% on the pitch fader, or song 1 must be sped up by 3%. But you don't want to touch the record that is playing for the crowd, or they will notice, think you suck, and leave. So you always adjust the track that is playing in your headphones, or the CUED TRACK. You bring the songs so they are playing at the same speed, and then, hold the CUED TRACK on it's first beat. When the time is right, you let the second track go, and make fine adjustments until they come into line with one another. And since they are (THEORETICALLY) playing at the same speed, the beats from both records should be totally synchronized. Now you can crossfade the song 1 to song 2.

Now, for the DISCLAIMERS:

1) No matter how good you are, it is IMPOSSIBLE to PERFECTLY beatmatch 2 songs. After a certain amount of time, the 2 WILL DRIFT APART. The idea is to make that time as long as possible, long enough for you to execute the mix.

2) Most of the time, you WON'T know the Beats Per Minute (BPM) of the records you are playing. So all you can do is just LISTEN to which record is playing faster, and make the adjustments. And THIS IS WHERE PRACTICE COMES IN.

3) Don't bring a calculator to do your sets. You will look dumb. I only gave the above example to explain a theory.

4) DJ'ing is not EASY, nor is it CHEAP. If it were, everyone would be doing it.

any more questions, further explanation, e-mail me at:

dj_matrix2001@yahoo.com

not right now. learn that. it will keep you busy longer than you think.

2 new(er) vinyls that i have that flow really well for beginning beatmatching are

Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 4000 (getting a bit overplayed though) and Aquagen - Tanz for Mich (dance for me i think in english)

they are both approximately the same bpm (approx. 138bpm), flow well together and are rather clean tracks (not alot going on throughout the track) so it will give you pretty good practice at beatmatching.

/.v

Back