Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help, beginner

Thanks

Need help, beginner

Sign in to disable this ad
    I wanna start producing music, and I was wondering what should be the essentials for starting off?? (equipment, keyboards, drumpads) i wanna eventually create boom bap, or neo soul type hip hop if that matters, Also any knowledge that would be helpful (books, videos, whatever)
    Last edited by darriusX; 09-20-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Learning music theory is extremely important. If you don't know about the basics then you will end up just putting random sounds together and hope it comes out ok. Versus if you know the theory of it all, you will be able to go into a piece of work knowing exactly what sound you want to achieve and how to achieve it. By no means am I professional, but for me music theory has definitely been the most important foundation

Thanks
    You have a few options... Do you want to go the software, software with hardware controller (hybrid) or hardware route?

i make boombap now and my (main) weapons of choice are Native Instruments 'Maschine' (software with a dedicated hardware controller) and a turntable.
    The other software/hardware combo worth looking at is the Akai 'MPC Renaissance'

On a budget I'd look at the Maschine Mikro (same software - smaller controller)

Lots of videos for both NI & Akai on YouTube.

If you want to go straight hardware (no computer) then the Akai MPC1000/2500 or the Roland MV8800 would be my choices.

If on a budget you could get going with a Roland SP555 and a turntable.

Software DAW would depend on you OS (Win or Mac?) and workflow preferences but plenty of try before you buy versions around...

On a budget then look at 'Reaper'...

midi keyboards - literally hundreds to pick from - I'd go basic if you get Maschine/Ren etc but if just using a DAW something with more knobs/faders etc

Soundcard (audio interface - ignore if going full hardware - essential if using a computer/laptop) 2in/2out and some monitors (monitors are good) and you're pretty much set
    Last edited by I'mNoGuru; 09-20-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    I'm all about that boombap.

Thanks
    yeah i think im gonna go with the maschine mikro, what midi keyboard would you recommend with that? i was looking at an akai lpk25 and you mentioned a turntable, what use will that be for?
    Last edited by darriusX; 09-20-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Turntable: sampling vinyl...

you could use a YouTube converter and audacity... We've all been there...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darriusX View Post
    yeah i think im gonna go with the maschine mikro, what midi keyboard would you recommend with that? i was looking at an akai lpk25
    That'll work.. I went Korg for my mini keyboard. No regrets.

the Mikro is a steal IMO.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by I'mNoGuru View Post
    That'll work.. I went Korg for my mini keyboard. No regrets.

the Mikro is a steal IMO.
    Which one would be best to get before one another? Because I'll have to save a little more to get both, also could I scratch vinyls on a usb turntable?
    Last edited by darriusX; 09-21-2015 at 12:51 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darriusX View Post
    Which one would be best to get before one another? Because I'll have to save a little more to get both, also could I scratch vinyls on a usb turntable?
    The Maschine (Mikro) would get you a more or less complete production environment that you can learn the ropes in, so I'd definitely get that first. The keyboard is just a means of controlling things & inputting notes - probably the most usual way for most people, and certainly worth getting into at some point, but not completely essential in the beginning, imo (in this situation). And yes, you can scratch on USB 'tables, they're just regular turntables with an USB audio interface built into them.

Thanks
    who cares bout music theory play by ear and youll still be better than most who practice .cause they cant improvise. an just keep it simple an dont blow all of your money only on equipment trust me , or youll end up broke trying to afford that new roland ,or fantom or korg, newest mpc etc .. keep it simple ..
    Last edited by BlazenHotTracks; 09-21-2015 at 08:38 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazenHotTracks View Post
    who cares bout music theory play by ear and youll still be better than most who practice .cause they cant improvise.
    you confuse lack of will with lack of skill
    - the knowledge acquired can take years to actually produce results if the person learning does not explore, extemporise and revise on a daily basis
    - i.e. practice and application is the key to improving a skill no matter what discipline you pursue: just think about why the jocks are so good at what they do or the geeks/nerds who program computers - they practice their skills every day
    BC: I've been making music since Before Computers were common in music
    Abnormal thoughts and insights available here
    Tutorials and other ideas available here
    My SoundCloud

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bandcoach For This Useful Post:

Thread Information