Mpd 24 Is Crap?

P

philly_dwella

I was interested in getting an mpd-24, but someone told me that it would'nt be a wise investment. Okay....he told me it was a piece of shyt. I am going to the music store and play with it to find out for myself, but I would also like to know what you think. All feedback is appreciated, and I wanted to use it with Reason 3 for drum sequencing and sampling purposes (if it has the capabilities).

okay. first. It doesnt sample or sequence. It is solely a controller. Meaning that you have to connect it to a sequencer or sampler in order for it to do what you want it to do.

Now I've had one for two or three weeks and it perfectly rocks!

And I don't even say ROCKS!

Whoever told you it's crap is blowing smoke up your ass.

It's nice and hefty so you can tap hard or soft and get no rocking. Now, the MPD16 IMO was a piece of ****. It's sitting on the floor by the radiator right now. But I'm in love with the 24.

Well I meant that I will be connecting it to Reason, which is a sequencing program right? I would say a sampler too, but for some reason, people don't think it can be used to sample even though they have this little machine called the NN-XT advanced sampler. But whatever, thats another topic. Thanks for the input, anybody else think this thing "rocks"?

nah, it's pretty decent. I have one,and i use it with Fl7, and I heard that it works perfectly right out the box with Reason. whoever told you that either was just saying some foolishness just to be heard or probably had one for a short period of time, sucked ass on it, and just blamed it on the product instead of on themselves. It's a pretty sound investment.

Use it on my Alesis Fusion and MPC2500, love it. Does exactly what I need it to do. Plus its built just as solid as my MPC2500.

Wait.... you use it on a MPC2500. To do what control it? I thought they pretty much did the same thing a mpc could do, but just not as much. i need to research this thing a little more I see. Will it at least be able to do what I want it to do?

Oh and that fusion is a keyboard. Aren't all of those things (Alesis fusion, MPC, and MPD) midi controllers or have midi controlling capabilities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a piece of equipment like any other. It serves its purpose. In my eyes its just highly overpriced. Doesnt mean its crap.

I agree, its overly priced.

For what youre looking for, MPD24 is it.

I had a trigger finger, loved it. MPD is a step up though.

Yes, I use it on my MPC 2500. My MPC Pads seem to trigger eachother when struck; eg strike pad 1 it triggers 3&4.

So, had to get another controller. MPD24 does a great job with that.

brooklynmusic said:
1) Ass backwards design. Who puts pads to the left... oh wait Akai does. 2) Square pad-round hole design.
3) Some knobs on the device have been proven faulty for numerous(not a couple) people.

With that said I'm not knocking MPD24 but it's nothing spetacular either.

I have the MPD-16 and I use it with Reason 3.0 and it works fine. It actually serves as a midi controller so it can play using any synth module; you can most definitely use it with the NN-XT and every other device. I dont use it for the subtractor or malstrom or any other synths because I have a keyboard for that. I use it for sampling and drums.

Im extremely happy with the MPD-16. I didnt feel that the MPD-24 was necessary for me because I dont really need to be messing with all the knobs and faders on Redrum and NN-XT. And when I do I dont mind just clicking certain parameters.

Its definitely a good investment.

Also why don't u check out the Korg padkontrol.I was in the same boat as u with the MPD 24 went to the store the guy said before buying I should research the Korg...they do most of the same things but the korg has a xy pad that allows you to do drums rolls and it comes with sample tank and reasons 3 for the same price

brooklynmusic said:
okay. first. It doesnt sample or sequence. It is solely a controller. Meaning that you have to connect it to a sequencer or sampler in order for it to do what you want it to do.

Now I've had one for two or three weeks and it perfectly rocks!

And I don't even say ROCKS!

It's nice and hefty so you can tap hard or soft and get no rocking. Now, the MPD16 IMO was a piece of ****. It's sitting on the floor by the radiator right now. But I'm in love with the 24.
i prefer my mpd16 over the 24 actally as long as u dont deal with the usb port on it youll be straight.

What is the problem when you use the usb port please let me know

neverenoughfunk said:
why? i own both and the mpc24 is much nicer.
the extras on the 24 arent really important for me atleast i do everything i need to with just a set of pads. ive used both and to me the pads feel exactly the same the only difference is when u hook the 16 up to the pc via usb u run into nothing but problems when u hook it to the pc via a midi cable it runs perfectly fine ill save some cash and just get the 16

reggie the great said:
What is the problem when you use the usb port please let me know
for some reason its just not very good. it causes system crashes it causes these issues people have when they say that have to smack the crap out of the pads and missed notes dont happen when its connected via midi like it does via usb its a whole different controller basically it works how it was intended to work

Last edited:
Not trying to lead you off into the desert to die, but if you don't already have a keyboard also, the M-Audio Axiom series is an all in 1 with less technical issues. I'm just suggesting to check them out, if you really want an MPD, that's what you should get, but IMO the Axiom is more bang for buck in the same price range, no crashes, every knob and the transport works, plug and play, only 8 pads(MPD is 16) but you also get a keyboard. And everything works, that simple.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Axiom25-main.html You can find them for cheaper than the site says(around $150-180 for the 25-key)

Last edited:
i agree with deranged, i have an axiom25, and its great to use with reason. they keys are solid, and so are the pads.

the MPD16 causes system errors and crashes if used with a USB cable. Plus, the cable comes out and everything. I still like it but man, Akai. Use the MIDI OUT.

Back