MPCs

S

Slow_Down

Im thinking about getting an MPC, i just started producin usin FL so i dont know too much and get some questions. What is an average price and good model to get? Can you chop up samples in it? Does it do anything other that drums? How easy is it to learn? Thanks

From the sound of your question... you need to do a search...

but in a nutshell... Yes, it can chop (any model)... yes it can do more than drums...

I have a 1k and love it... probably the best value... if you have the cake, get a 4k, if not get the 1k

If I were to buy a mpc Id get the 1k but I would only use it for drums anyway kuz im taht way I prefer keyboards for actual sampling

I'm getting an MPC3000, but I'm sold on the MPC2500, too. Much better build quality than the 1K and the 2KXL.

Decide what features you'd want, what sound you want, and get the one that matches your criteria.

If you don't need time stretch, then the MPC60, MPC3000, or MPC2K might be good choices. (If you do, the MPC2KXL, MPC1000, MPC2500, and MPC4000 are the ones)

Is build quality important to you? If so, the MPC60, MPC3K, MPC2500, and MPC4000 are the ones.

How much are you willing to spend? Do you want it new or used?

Go look around on ebay and some other webstores to get an idea of the usual price range.

As Kid has said, you need to research a lot.

You need to make some decisions on whether you need sequencing from your MPC or you want to use it as a beat creator along with another sequencing package.

You need to decide on it's sampling time and editing power.

You need to decide...

You see how easy it is to just keep going?

I think a kit list and a wish list from you might help us a bit more.

I bought the 2000xl without knowing much about it... and I'm still very pleased with it.
You need to consider the following:
If you want to completely replace reason (or whatever) then you probably need to invest in a lot more than just the MPC - Mixer, trackrecorder etc (unless you buy the MPC4000, which i believe has it all)...
If you want to add to your software based studio, then I think the MPC1000 is a great choise - That thing is basicly made to work with a computer...
But I'm sure others at this board are more qualified to answer this than me.

Last edited:
Like i said im new to producin and i dont know much of the terms yet. Price range isnt a problem, ima get a job or somethin and save up. The kind of sound i want is lke Heatmakers or 9th Wonder. I saw a a heatmakers video and they were usin an MPC2000 i think. Is that one good? Ima google up some info. Thanks

Edit : I also would want one that can chop up samples and time stretch

Last edited by a moderator:
u can get different sounds from learnin ur gear not from usin what someone else has. u should really do some research.

Xabiton said:
u can get different sounds from learnin ur gear not from usin what someone else has. u should really do some research.

So true and yet so many fall for artiste endorsements.

that's the main reason why i don't like mpc people think there hott because they saw, dre or pharrell or heatmakers using it. homie up top said want to make music like 9th wonder well 9th wonder use fruity loops no mpc no triton just fruity loops, a turntable and cool edit. that says alot right there. learn your gear then decide if the hardware route would be your best option.

mrgibbs said:
that's the main reason why i don't like mpc people think there hott because they saw, dre or pharrell or heatmakers using it. homie up top said want to make music like 9th wonder well 9th wonder use fruity loops no mpc no triton just fruity loops, a turntable and cool edit. that says alot right there. learn your gear then decide if the hardware route would be your best option.

I got a MPC because I felt that my drums- specifically my buildups were lacking... and it servest he purpose and more... I now use the MPC as a standalone up until tracking... now if I know I making some large chops... I'll throw it into AA just to see what I'm doing a little easier...but just normal chops... 1k all the way..

yea the 1k sound interesting and i want to try it out later in my life as a producer/beatmaker but now i'm fine with a software only studio

Yeah i read some info on it, Sounds good. So i can combine this with ACID or Soundforge and load it on to it, right? And it can chop up samples? Wheres a reliable place to order from? Ima order one as soon as i get the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
i love my mpc 1k im about to nickname it but anyway i really want that damn 4k its callin me everytime i see it i wanted it so bad but until i master my 1k it aint goin if i got signed i would buy the 4k and KEEP my damn 1k

I know you said mpc, but ever thought of the MV-8000? Just got mine in yesterday!!

Back