MPC to Logic

AHerbs

Broken Records
I got a MPC 2500 and I am thinking about getting a Mac Book Pro w/ Logic so that I can record my beats into Logic and then mix them in there, but how would I do this? Is this even possible? Can you record into Logic via Firewire?

I was thinking about getting an Alesis MultiMix Firewire Mixer and then recording the audio into Logic if this is possible. If not then what's the best way to get my beats from the MPC onto a computer?

Mixing in Logic: Good.
Buying a firewire mixer to do it: Bad

I use two balanced 1/4 " cables to get sound from my mpc2000xl to Logic. Combine midi and you got yourself a decent midi controller.

its not that hard bro..i went through the same thing yu had to go through...get a fast track pro or soemthing with a midi interface...and just create audio tracks....make the mpc the slave and send midi clock thru logic...set the tempo in logic (same tempo as on the mpc) and hit record....do them track by track and yur good to go...logic really isisnt worth it if you going to be doing all your work on the mpc...just get something cheaper but if yu want the sounds in logic then get it...personally i like reasons and i still use logic also...but its all up to yu bro..and ps...dont do firewire...and YES YOU NEED A MIXER....anything with 8 tracks would do the trick..

Well, to the person above, if he wants to track his audio from the mpc to logic then he's going to need an interface, preferably one with the firewire 800 protocol... it's either that or send the signal directly from the mpc into the macbook's 1/8 inch line input (which is just a terrible idea).

if you just want to record the audio then you have no reason to get a MIDI interface. the alesis firewire mixer is just fine for getting your beats to logic because the alesis multimix functions as a multi-input audio interface.

Last edited:
Alright then what are my options here? Should I get an Alesis Firewire Mixer and run Firewire400 into the Mac? Can you even run Firewire400 into a Mac? Can I run straight audio cables into the Mac? I really appreciate the help.

Just a question...

^^^^ He doesn't need to worry about getting Firewire 800 on an Audio Interface, any normal Firewire 400 or USB 2.0 Audio interface will work just fine.

I have my MPC 5000 ran into my Presonus Firestudio and use Logic Studio and Ableton Live 8 and it works great with the normal Firewire 400 protocol.

Just my $.02

ONE

I notice that KCSherrell has a similar set up like I am trying to put together. Please help... I think I am close to what I need. I currently have MPC 2500, a Presonus Firebox, Logic 8 (iMac) and midi controller... tell me... how do I get it hooked up so I can record into logic (from the MPC), and add the sounds from Logic (i.e. basslines). I am just confused at this point. Do I need firewire to run from my Presonus to my iMac? Please help... any details would be helpful.

Last edited:
Thanks dude.... working to see if I can hook it up now. But I noticed that my midi controller only has one midi plug/socket and of course my MPC has the four.

No problem. Did that video help you out?

ONE

Well here's the deal... I looked the video at I understand what he is sayin, but I can't seem to get my setup to work like that. Could it be that he is using an Edirol and I have a Presonus Firebox? When I press play on Logic it starts the MPC but it will not record into Logic.

Your brand of Audio interface won't matter, but you may be having issues with the software and hardware communicating correctly? Go to the Eidrol website and make sure you have the latest updates Nx do the same with Logic.

if you sequence into Logic you are forfeiting the rawness of the MPC

then you pretty much just have a very expensive MIDI controller

now on the other hand you can sequence into the MPC then export all the tracks into Logic for mixing/ect.

if you sequence into Logic you are forfeiting the rawness of the MPC

then you pretty much just have a very expensive MIDI controller

now on the other hand you can sequence into the MPC then export all the tracks into Logic for mixing/ect.

Perhaps you could tell me how to do that... I think I just need to take a picture and show my setup and maybe someone could help a brother out LOL

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

check out the pics and maybe someone can help a brother out...

Back