MIDI parameters [after touch]

I read that already. it sounds just like what the velocity parameter does

there is the choice to edit the velocity, modulation, pitch bend and after touch so it's obviously not the same thing.

I was just looking for someone to dumb it down for me.

You hit the key, the velocity parameter express how hard/soft the hit was.

If you hold the key all the way down = full aftertouch.

If you release the key a little bit, let's say half way, the aftertouch parameter expresses this.

But keep in mind that not every keyboard is able to send aftertouch messages to the (virtual) instrument and also not every (virtual) instrument use aftertouch.

A keyboard with after touch has an additional switch under the keys so that when you press the key hard at the end of it's stroke you can change the sound in some way.....it's usually a foil strip with felt over it so that you really have to be pressing the key down in order to trigger whatever you have assigned to that control.......for example lets say you are holing a key that is playing a sustained flute sample but you want to trigger a flute sample of the same note but with vibrato, well you can do that just by applying a bit more pressure to the key.

Aftertouch makes sense the second you try a keyboard that has it (and of course with a sound that's set up to use it) :) Not all implementations are great, of course, but it's a surprisingly effective extra layer of expressivity.

Back