Midi Outputs????

L

LesPado

What exactly are midi outputs, because it says I need to select my midi outputs or else I wont be able to hear anything. I'm supposed to select from a list of midi outputs, but i have nothing on my list execpt for microsoft midi mapper, but even when i click that it says I dont have anything selected. What do i need to do??? Do I need a better sound card?

Your asking what "MIDI ouputs" are like you dont have any idea of what a music workstation set-up is.

Did you just buy stuff and expect to be able to use it? Did you read any manuals on any software/hardware you bought.

The only thing I can tell you is that a "MIDI output" is just that! An output that transmits MIDI data. The reason why I cant explain it is because you didnt say what you are using? Software? What app? Hardware? What brand? All those things can have a slightly different way of setting them up to use MIDI.

well you're pretty much right.. I dont have experience at all. I'm using sonar producer edition. The manuals just tell me how to select a midi output from the list, but there is nothing on the list that pops up. And no I didn't expect to just be able to use it, but I figured i'd just dive in figure it out from there. I'm honestly not just asking because I'm too lazy to look it up and figure it out for myself, so I do appreciate any help. I just dont understand how to get a midi output, because there isn't anything on the list to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
LesPado said:
....And no I didn't expect to just be able to use it, but I figured i'd just dive in figure it out from there. I'm honestly not just asking because I'm too lazy to look it up and figure it out for myself, so I do appreciate any help. I just dont understand how to get a midi output, because there isn't anything on the list to choose from.

Being lazy isnt an excuse really, hooking up musical gear has no room for lazy people. Setting up a MIDI chain is like creating a small network of instruments. In order for you to use it you must first understand it.

I cant sit here and say "Oh yeah... plug this into that, and while your at it plug that into this.." it doesnt work that way.

More so the fact that you didnt mention if you have any external devices already. Are you using VST's or external modules? Do you have a MIDI interface and a controller? If so what brands? Most of all is the stuff you have compatible with each other.

Last edited:
Well up until yesterday I really didn't have any equiptment other than my computer and Sonar. I just wanted to try and mess around with some samples. I went out and got a Motu Traveler and a pair of edirol MA 20D monitors. I now have my midi input and output set to the traveler. I get sound through the monitors, but only when I'm actually playing something. I dont get anything when I record and play back through Sonar. This is my setup:
Laptop to Traveler via 4pin to 6pin firewire >> Traveler to monitors via 1/4" phone to RCA >> Microphone to travler

Like I said I get sound from the monitors, but not when I record and playback, but I do have my midi output set to the traveler, so I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Hello LesPado,

I have a Cakewalk HomeStudio 04. Not all for sure, but I think alot of it is similar to Sonar. These options should be there, though they might be organized to somewhat different places. I hope this will give you some Ideas.

If you haven't already, go into Sonar-Options-Audio Options-Drivers. Make sure Sonar has the Motu drivers selected, and not your PC soundcard. If there aren't any drivers listed for your Motu , click the Advanced tab. Then go to the Driver Mode box under Playback and Record. Set the driver mode to WDM/KS or ASIO. You might have to test each one to see which works best for you. You'll also have to restart the Sonar program for the changes to take place. Once you've done that, the drivers should be under Opitions-Audio Options-Drivers. Select the ones you want and deselect those that you don't. Then after all that use the Wave Profiler under Options-Audio Options- General. Also check to make sure the audio engiene button has been selected.

You could also go into Windows-Control Panel-Sound and Audio Devices-Audio, and select your Motu for all Windows programs to run through.

Best of Luck,
Brandon

I was just rereading your last post, and I came to the conclusion you might not know that much about what midi is. Please, Forgive me if I'm wrong. It almost sounds as if you were thinking MIDI is Audio. You may already know this, but MIDI is computer language, digital 1's and 0's. It is a communication standard for studio equipment to talk to each other. Although audio can be convertated to digital format, it does not transmit as MIDI. So, even though you may have your MIDI Output setup correctly, it doesn't transmit audio. See, the MIDI is for recording information that tells your studio equipment when and what patches it should setup, what the tempos time signatures should be, how the controllers should act, when and how long a note should be played, ect. Say you have a synth part and a sampler you just recorded as MIDI, you'll have to playback the MIDI as you record the audio comming out of the synth and sampler. That's how you get the audio. MIDI is great for composition and setting your studio equipment for on the fly transitions. I love MIDI.

Peace,
Brandon

You are absolutely correct. I was under the impression that midi was a form of audio. I am completely new at this whole thing and all of these terms are a little overwhelming. I think what I'm going to do is go out and buy a book, because for the most part my manuals dont really explain what anything is, only how to use it. Production equiptment is unlike any electronic equiptment I've ever dealt with. I expected it to be pretty straight forward, but I'm now realizing this is not the case. I greatly appreciate your help.

I did everything you suggested, but I'm still not getting any sound into or out of sonar. I have the traveler drivers selected in the sonar audio drivers screen. In that screen I also deselected the realtek audio drivers(My internal soundcard). I ran the wave profiler. Then I also have the traveler selected for all windows audio. I do get all the windows audio through my traveler, but still nothing out of sonar. Although I do get the Metronome sound before it starts recording. For this individual track I have the input set to Traveler- Midi Omni, but it gives me the choice of Traveler-Midi Omni or Individual Midi Tracks 1-16. I'm not really sure what that means. Omni was what it had selected by default. For the output I also have the travler selected. This is my only choice other than New Drum Map and Drum Map Manager, which I dont really understand why thats there, because they dont sound like outputs to me. On the traveler itself I have a mic plugged into input 1 and I have the input gain all the way up. I'm really sorry to be a pain and ask all these "newbie questions", but I've been playing with this for a week and as far as I can see I have everything set up correctly. So I'm stumped..

Thanks for the link! I've only read the first page and already I can see its going to be really informative. Whether it will help with my current situation or not, who knows? But either way it will help me in the long run, so I thank you Baggysound.

Sorry for this long thread, it was needed.

I do get all the windows audio through my traveler, but still nothing out of sonar. Although I do get the Metronome sound before it starts recording. For this individual track I have the input set to Traveler- Midi Omni, but it gives me the choice of Traveler-Midi Omni or Individual Midi Tracks 1-16. I'm not really sure what that means.
From reading this statement, I believe the reason you aren't getting audio from Sonar,now, is because you have a MIDI track setup instead of an audio track. You can tell the two apart several ways. The options in the track are different, the audio track has a green to red dB meter and the MIDI track doesn't, also the audio track has a picture in the top left corner of the track that looks like two audio signals and the MIDI track has a picture of a MIDI connector. Still you have to have them setup right in order to get audio.

For this individual track I have the input set to Traveler- Midi Omni, but it gives me the choice of Traveler-Midi Omni or Individual Midi Tracks 1-16. I'm not really sure what that means.
MIDI is usualy transmitted over 16 channels a MIDI cable. MIDI Omni means the MIDI device receives MIDI data from all 16 MIDI Channels. Setting the MIDI input for a specific channel, i.e. MIDI chanel 1, will tell the receiving MIDI device to only listen to data comming through MIDI chanel 1.

How to properly setup a MIDI track.
Before you record make sure the "In" is set to the MIDI channel your synth is sending on. Make sure the "Out" is set to your Traveler MIDI. Set the "Channel" to the MIDI channel your synth should recieve the MIDI information, usualy the same as whats set for "In". Set the "Bank" and "Patch". The "Patch" number is the number your soundpatch is located at in your synth. The "Bank" number is the same as the bank number the soundpatch you want is in. Example, I want Sonar, on channel one, to tell the synth to play soundpatch starynights, which is patch#125 in bank#2 on the synth. Now you are setup to receive and send MIDI.

Now to setup an audio track. If one isn't already up, go to "Insert" and select "Audio Track". Set the "Input" and "Output" accordingly; make sure its your Traveler's audio, not MIDI. That's just about it. Now, make sure the Audio Engine button has been selected. Otherwise Sonar won't transmit or receive audio. Also, having to many programs running at the same time may automatically turn the audio engine off. It happens to me when I'm online. Once the Inputs and Outputs are setup and the audio engine is on, you should see the dB meter jumping around when you run audio through it. If you do you are ready to record.

In order to record MIDI or Audio you must arm the tracks for recording by pressing the "R" located at the top right of each track.

If you recorded right, you should get spikey lines for audio and horizontal bars for MIDI to the right of the track.

If your audio outputs are setup correctly and the audio engine is turned on you should get sound from Sonar when played back.

If your MIDI tracks are setup right, when played back, you should get sound comming from your synthesizer.

I hope this sheads some light on the subject. It can get confusing sometimes, but don't get discouraged. If you have anyother questions, feel free to ask me. You can also check out some of the tutorals in the help section that came with Sonar.

Peace,
Brandon

I got it figured it out. I'm going to be honest with you. The sonar version I was using was downloaded using a bit torrent, BUT dont get the wrong idea. I ONLY wanted to test it out before buying it because $500 is alot to drop on something I dont even understand how to use or what I'm paying for. Trust me I'm a firm believer of buying rather than pirating. The money is well worth the effort and knowledge it takes to make these programs and if nobody buys them then they aren't going to put the time, effort, and money into making them. So.. I decided that producer edition was way to advanced for me. I decided to go out and get home studio instead. I brought it home, popped it in, configured all the inputs/outputs and everything i attempted to do on producer edition and it worked first try. I think you're right though, I must have been trying to use a midi track when it should've been an audio track. Thank you so much for all your help brandon, you seriously put some time and thought into my situation. I seriously seriously appreciate it man. You said you use home studio correct? Do you think its worth the extra $50 for home studio xl? My local music shop only had the standard home studio version 4, but you can purchase the upgrade from the cakewalk website.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're Welcome LesPado. I am glad I could help. As far as Home Studio 4XL being worth the extra $50, I think its more of a personal preference. Really, the two aren't that different. Both get the job done. I guess it just depends on if you want the software synth, drum machine, sampler, and loops (not something you really need if recording a live band). I already have a drum machine and synthesizer. So, I propably wouldn't spend the extra fifty. But if I didn't have any studio equipment, I'd be better off getting the XL version for the extra fifty.

I'm out, Peace
Brandon

Back