MIDI MPC or MIDI keyboard?

P

Pauliofish

as the question says, which one would you guys find more useful? i'm using FL Studio to produce my beats/instrumentals.

im a student with a- well, tight student budget. still in that age for clothes, fun, food, gifts, school, haha... so im not sure how much i can spend.

But i have no hardware, only FL and some plugins. i find it really difficult to make any progress tho.

I really think i need equipment. as im still a newbie, i only know two equipments: mpc and keyboard. i play drums and piano, so i cant really decide between the two. can you recommend what i shud get first and recommend a model?

please do inform me of hardware equipments. thank you!

an m-aduio oxygen 8 is a good keyboard to start with, costs about £70

tbh if your on a tight budget i wouldn't jump straight into getting an mpc they're a lot of money and you may not even like it.
if you want to use some pads id suggest the mpd series, cheaper but only works as a controller but will work wil FL studio.
even cheaper behringer probably do some piece of shit thing with some pads

personally i use my drum machine a lot more than my keyboard but it depends what you do most. i use my keyboard for playing in bass lines and synth chords.

i use the drum machine for drums lol, and playing in chopped samples.

I hate to say it but I don't think MPC's are worth the money nowadays with all the other options available. You can get a axiom 61 and use the drum pads with something like groove agent and its really just as effective for less money. But for people who really prefer the feel and workflow of an MPC, I understand..

I have a feeling that by "MIDI MPC" the OP actually did refer to the MPD series instead of the "real thing".

I hate to say it but I don't think MPC's are worth the money nowadays with all the other options available. You can get a axiom 61 and use the drum pads with something like groove agent and its really just as effective for less money. But for people who really prefer the feel and workflow of an MPC, I understand..
Depends on what you need but for the most part I would say that about a lot of hardware. At the same time mpcs are a lot of fun.

If you don't sample definitely go with a midi keyboard.You can't make melodies on mpd/mpc pads.I first got a midi keyboard and recently I've been doing some sampled beats and got the MPD18 for like 100$ .I don't think you need more. It really depends on which type of music you produce but I recommend you get both.It shouldn't cost you more than 250$ to get both.

Yeah i agree for just starting out a midi keyboard is going to be a lot more useful to you. An mpd or something of that nature kind of limits you to sampling or laying down drum patterns but you still have to click in melodies, with a midi controller you can do both so its a much better investment for you right now i think.

When you're talkin MIDI, you can do everything on a keyboard that you can do on an MPD (the midi MPC, w/ not as great pads.. that need to be manually upgraded to be sensitive).

You can't convince me that an MPD > midi keyboard for someone who has neither. You have a wider range of control on your keyboard, and if you want the added feel of pads, you can always grab a 2nd hand unit later.

Orrr.... you can get a keyboard that has pads on it, and essentially get both. Something like an MAudio Axiom or a Novation Nocturn (depending on price of course).

Keyboard all the way! It's way easier to play drums on a keyboard then it is to play keys on a drumpad, haha. Trying playing a bass line on drumpads, let alone any chords or piano lines.

Don't get me wrong... you can hit some nice basslines and chords on a pad controller. I sometimes hit rhythms on my pads that I wouldn't have thought of creating on my keyboard.

But essentially, you can do technically that & more on a keyboard.

It's kind like a car.... leather seats and air conditioning are awesome and I personally can't live without anymore, but I bought the car first so I could drive. I didn't buy the leather seats & a/c first. Get a good base first... then add on top of it to improve it. I see the midi keyboard as a base for computer production, moreso than a pad controller.

Back