Mic Shootout RE20/RE27/RE320/SM57/MK4/At4040/AT2035/ND767a

D

Dreamcaseal

Hopefully this will prevent you guys from making the same mistake i did wasting a thousand dollars buying and selling mics. I learned a lot and believe myself to be a real audiophile who can judge both dynamics and condensers very well based on their flaws and characteristics mainly for spoken word not singing.

keep in mind these were just all personal random halfassed tests and yes i used eq and a compressor
first part is a nt1-a second part is a at4040:

main difference between the mics is the nt1-a sounds way more bright scooped and sibilant as well as thin

first part is a at4040 (same as above but this has less bass removed) second part is a at2035:

main difference between the mics is the at4040 has more body to it is more smooth and flat than the at2035

first part is a sm7b second is a sennheiser mk4

sm7b is a lot quieter rounded less detailed. mk4 is very harsh and warm and i dont like the overall sound. the sm7b is a little honky with the preamp i use. overall hate both these mics. no eq used on either mic

sm7b as above but this time with eq

sennheiser mk4 as above but this time with eq

electrovoice mics first nd767a then a sm57 for comparison then a re320 i dont remember if eq or not prob not

re series mics first sm57 then re320 then re20 then re27

like i said these arent professional tests and i was not consistent at all. these were just random files i forgot about that i uploaded and dont give much on the mics overall characteristics sometimes im mumbling sometimes im loud sometimes i just dont care lol.

i will say the following though

my favorites were the re20 and at4040 for studio recording

the nd767a, re320, re27 are useless unnatural sounding mics.

the sm7b is ok but i see why they say its for screamers and radio.

would rather have a sm57 than most other handheld dynamics by any brand.

mk4 is not to my liking at all.

the nt1-a is a garbage overly bright and sibilant mic. you cant get close to it because it sounds so scooped it sounds like youre swallowing your tongue. i think its a horrible mic. but hey its the first time i ever got to use a pop filter. the mic is also very light and cheap feeling. piece of crap mic. it gives ok results at the right distance but too thin for my liking.

out of all the mics i liked the at4040 the most. i think its a extremely usable mic but in the records above you may hear some room reverb i was being pretty loud. i have other recordings of it where it performs very nicely in good environment. i sold my audio interface and mics and lost at least a thousand dollars buying and selling mics.

if youre curious i recently bought a pg27usb, blue yeti, AND a snowball ice now lol. i no longer try to produce music or do voice acting. i bought the blue yeti mainly for its stereo recording ability to do weird thing similar to "ASMR" videos. I bought the PG27 because its a cheap flat sounding mic and i was hoping it would remind me of the at4040 i liked. i dont have either mic yet but i will maybe sell the pg27 and keep the blue yeti for all my weird recording needs. im getting the snowball ice because when i had a blue snowball once it was fairly good at cutting out background noise sometimes it doesnt pay to spend so much when you arent a real musician with a real studio and real ability to make music and movie quality 3d animations that need professional voice acting!

i also downgraded from a dslr camera to a point and shoot camera. im very humble these days lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back