Macbook Air, FL Studio

eradcl1

So who uses a Macbook Air with FL Studio? How well does it run for you?

I am debating the Macbook Air or Pro. I love how tiny the Air is compared to my current HP laptop.
I will be using either Parrallels or Crossover to run FL Studio through Mac OS. (NOT Bootcamp!)

My main question: Since FL Studio has to run through Windows,
is 4GB enough since it has an SSD (Flash) Hard Drive, or will I need the upgrade to 8GB???

I use a bunch of VSTs in my tracks, like 3 or 4 Nexus's and maybe 1 or 2 Sylenths

I really dont want to hear about other DAW's. FL Studio is my favorite. And yes you CAN put it on a Mac.

Thanks if anybody knows anything about this.

you can't go wrong with 8 gigs of RAM
and make sure you can get the faster processor for your budget

why the move to a mac and not just get a super banging
i7,8 gig RAM PC laptop??

-Coach Antonio

im using a macbook pro that ive had since 2009, with only 4gb ram. Fl studio runs perfectly through bootcamp. I never tried parallels or any other software like that before though.

Ahh man, I could write for ages, I recommend the Pro because...

1.Why buy a Air when you can get a Pro for the same price? Yes the Air may be lighter, thinner etc...BUT depending from what computer your coming from the pro might already be thinner and lighter for you...and no way is the form factor a good exchange for the processor power of the air (only 1.8ghz i5, compared to the stock Pro which is 2.7ghz i5) If your buying a Air your buying it because its a work of art and is sexy as ****, but don't let apple suck you in, its more like a Facebook Machine.

2. If your using Fl Studio EXCLUSIVELY then build/buy yourself super nice PC for half the price, I believe Fl Studio would runner smoother and be more secure on Bootcamp compared to Parralles or Crossover, however, i'm more than sure they will work perfectly on these applications.

3. I would strongly recommend the Pro, but if you really want the Air then get the 8GB upgrade! It will help when using all those plugins and playing a large amount of instruments at once. The SSD will be great for starting up Fl Studio quickly (it will load up before you finish clicking lol) and loading those interments/plugins very fast.

4. You cant upgrade the Air (Without getting Kidnapped in a Black car on the way to work/school!), what you buy is what you get and what you will have to keep until you get a new computer! With the Pro you can remove the CD drive and put in a SSD, so then you would have a 500GB Hard Drive and a SSD of your choice for the perfect combination of space and power! (Apps on SSD and files on Hard Drive) and then you can throw in up to 16GB of Ram and you got your perfect computer!

I actually tried running FL studio on a Macbook Pro from 2010. First I tried it with Parallells but it worked like crap. Not only did Fl studio run like crap in parallells but my whole macbook started disfunctioning and became very slow while using Fl studio in it. (parallells only worked pretty ok) My advice is to either Run Fl studio on an original windows system or buy Logic for your Mac setup (as I did, very happy with it!). If you don't want to get stuck on using windows or Mac only, try ableton for example, wich can be used on either system, that way you can always switch from windows to mac or the other way around.

you can't go wrong with 8 gigs of RAM
and make sure you can get the faster processor for your budget

why the move to a mac and not just get a super banging
i7,8 gig RAM PC laptop??

-Coach Antonio

Why do you want to run FL studio on a Mac?

Honestly, I love PC’s, but my laptop has gotten so slow. Its an HP DV7, 17.5 inch monitor, Windows 7, good condition, 6GB RAM, extended battery life, and a ton of hard drive space, but it’s a regular hard drive with moving discs parts inside. And its too big and bulky. Im still going to use it at home, but i need something portable. That thing has broken bag after bag. And it takes up the whole desk. And the battery is like an hour,one and a half not doing too much.

The Macbook Pro and Macbook Air can be bought with a 128 or 256 GB SSD Hard Drive for only a little more than the windows computers with only 20-30GB SSD’s and the rest is on a regular old hard drive. I know that Apple’s products typically last longer with less crashes and way less viruses / malware, and they are known for being smooth with artsy stuff like audio and video production.

It was a hard decision, but I want to try something new. And now that I finally can afford it, the Macs are looking like a good option.

I cant stand typical attention seeking hipster rich snobby Apple cult people who are “better than everybody else”, but Im not gonna be just getting a $1500 facebook machine like them.
I am still not 100% sure, but I am really liking the Macbook AIR.

Thanks a lot for yall’s really useful feedback

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 PM ----------

im using a macbook pro that ive had since 2009, with only 4gb ram. Fl studio runs perfectly through bootcamp. I never tried parallels or any other software like that before though.

I only dont wanna do Boot Camp cuz you have to restart every time. I always have all kind of stuff open, like 20 tabs in Google Chrome and some notepads open. but if it is that good then I will. With that Solid State Drive, it restarts pretty quick.

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Ahh man, I could write for ages, I recommend the Pro because...

1.Why buy a Air when you can get a Pro for the same price? Yes the Air may be lighter, thinner etc...BUT depending from what computer your coming from the pro might already be thinner and lighter for you...and no way is the form factor a good exchange for the processor power of the air (only 1.8ghz i5, compared to the stock Pro which is 2.7ghz i5) If your buying a Air your buying it because its a work of art and is sexy as ****, but don't let apple suck you in, its more like a Facebook Machine.

2. If your using Fl Studio EXCLUSIVELY then build/buy yourself super nice PC for half the price, I believe Fl Studio would runner smoother and be more secure on Bootcamp compared to Parralles or Crossover, however, i'm more than sure they will work perfectly on these applications.

3. I would strongly recommend the Pro, but if you really want the Air then get the 8GB upgrade! It will help when using all those plugins and playing a large amount of instruments at once. The SSD will be great for starting up Fl Studio quickly (it will load up before you finish clicking lol) and loading those interments/plugins very fast.

4. You cant upgrade the Air (Without getting Kidnapped in a Black car on the way to work/school!), what you buy is what you get and what you will have to keep until you get a new computer! With the Pro you can remove the CD drive and put in a SSD, so then you would have a 500GB Hard Drive and a SSD of your choice for the perfect combination of space and power! (Apps on SSD and files on Hard Drive) and then you can throw in up to 16GB of Ram and you got your perfect computer!

1. Im buying because of the size, but you’re right- they’re not much different in size, and both are way smaller than my computer now. That Air is so sexy lol

2. Everything I do now, I can do on a PC. I don’t need a mac, but everybody has convinced me how good they are, and Im interested again after seeing . I used to want a mac, but I couldn’t afford it and I didn’t want a computer that couldn’t run Fruity Loops. I like Reason and Pro Tools n stuff, but my favorite is FL Studio. Its so easy to get an idea from your head to your ipod. If Bootcamp is the best option, then I will do Bootcamp.

3. Ok, nice!

4. True. You can preorder 4 or 8 GB, but the RAM is soldered in. I aint f’n with that.
Man this Mac or PC thing is wearing me out. They’re both cool!

Last edited:
Buying a Mac to run FL studio is a bit like buying a Lamborghini Murcielago when looking for an all-wheel drive vehicle so you can drive through rough terrain.

The fact that you are considering the Macbook Pro as an alternative to the Air demonstrates that you are not shopping for a system so much as you are shopping for a brand.

So strong is the perception that Macs are the best computers for music production, that you are somehow convinced that the myth can even be applied to software that isn't even compatible with the Mac's operating system.

Also keep in mind if you're running a windows environment on a Mac, that environment is just as vulnerable as it would be on a PC. I run a Mac for music, when I bought it, intended on still running FL. Could never find a setup to dual boot that worked with my workflow.

I lost use of tons of my favorite programs(SONAR, CD Architect, FL Studio) because I went in under the impression I'd just run Bootcamp or Parallels/Crossover/VMWare Fusion when i wanted to use them, and for me, it's just easier to do without the programs that to dual boot halfway into working or have to go back and forth while working and have drivers/hardware assigned to the wrong part of the OS when I need them.

It's not as easy for me as others made it out to be, but everyone works differently. It would be easier for me to just go grab my PC laptop if I need to run PC programs, I like changes in workflow, so I just used the time on Mac to get more into depth using Pro Tools and Reason(the only 2 PC programs I had that work on Mac). I want to someday get into Ableton or Logic, just haven't felt the urge to really make the push as of yet.

Being that this is probably gonna be my last music computer ever, I doubt I'll ever use FL Studio or Sonar primarily again. I just wish they made CD Architect for Mac, because Toast Sux. I just use my PC to arrange final CDs now.

I tell you this story as a warning. You want a Mac, you may just need to prepare yourself to give up FL. It's a waste of time and there's other stuff out there that will work for you within the OS that can replace it, but from my experience, NOTHING is exactly like FL. If you're really into it's functionality you're gonna sacrifice alot. I've yet to find easier time stretching. Found an identical step sequencer(with a few functions FL's doesn't have) in a program called Motu BPM, problem is, when you transfer everything to Midi, your Swing and off timed drums don't translate correctly in alot of environments, so it's better to run that standalone which gives you functions of an MPC(prehistoric sequnecer/sampler/drum Machine), but nothing close to a DAW.

I'll be here forever talking. But if you get a Mac, i'd suggest considering jumping to an OSX program. The headaches of cross platforms may get to you over time.

The more I read this, the more I forget why i wanted a Mac. I do really like the touchscreens on some of the new Windows "ultrabooks," and their size. Their prices are slightly less than the Apple computers, but the hard drives arent as good. However, the windows computers let you upgrade them yourself i believe. I am very much a Windows person and don't need a mac.

It's mainly the look, size, and weight of the Macbook Air.

It's so sexy.

---------- Post added 03-18-2013 at 07:56 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-17-2013 at 02:27 PM ----------

Buying a Mac to run FL studio is a bit like buying a Lamborghini Murcielago when looking for an all-wheel drive vehicle so you can drive through rough terrain.

The fact that you are considering the Macbook Pro as an alternative to the Air demonstrates that you are not shopping for a system so much as you are shopping for a brand.

So strong is the perception that Macs are the best computers for music production, that you are somehow convinced that the myth can even be applied to software that isn't even compatible with the Mac's operating system.

i already explained why I want it. Awesome size, look and style, solid hardware. The MacBook Air with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd isn't much different from the pro besides thickness, and lack of retina display and cd/DVD drive which I don't care about. The processor is barely faster when combined with that memory.

I never said it was only for FL Studio, that doesnt make any since. But heavy use of FL Studio before there was a workaround, and lack of funds are why I didn't get a Mac years ago.

the Ultrabooks that are comparable, like the Asus Zenbook, are the same price as a MacBook Pro or Air, which I can add windows 8 to. All of the ones under $1000 use a tiny (4-20GB) SSD hard drive connected to a big old-style hard drive, just to keep the name Ultrabook (Ultrabooks are required to have an SSD, but it doesn't say ONLY an SSD. What a scam.) so why get a pc if you can get both in one? Mac quality isn't just a myth.

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

Over the weekend I started to forget why I wanted a Mac.

then I went around playing in Best Buy and Online and I remembered that all the windows computers with good prices still don't have that fast SSD hard drive I want. I really liked the touchscreen. But that isn't really what I'm looking for in a new computer. So I'm back to that MacBook Air or pro.

Last edited:
i already explained why I want it. Awesome size, look and style, solid hardware. The MacBook Air with 8gb ram and 256gb ssd isn't much different from the pro besides thickness, and lack of retina display and cd/DVD drive which I don't care about. The processor is barely faster when combined with that memory.
By comparing the Air and the Pro you are disregarding the emphasis you placed on size to a certain degree, so in regard to Mac vs PC size the size of the Pro would be your top limit and not so much the size of the Air. Looks and style would be the same thing wouldn't they? The build quality of the Macbooks is definitely better than that of PC laptops, so it's only natural that you should want one. Having an optical drive is not that important so much so that I would be inclined to rip that shit out and replace it with a second hard drive just for streaming audio.

I never said it was only for FL Studio, that doesnt make any since. But heavy use of FL Studio before there was a workaround, and lack of funds are why I didn't get a Mac years ago..
You said you don't want to use any other DAW which means you are buying a Mac to run FL Studio, I did not imply that you wanted it "only" to run FL Studio, just that it's often a case of horses for courses and your horse runs best on a wet track.

Mac quality isn't just a myth..
I never said Mac quality is a myth, I was referring to the myth that Macs are better for music production than PCs, which has historical origins that don't hold true anymore, like just because big studios use old Mac Pro tower systems to host Pro Tools DSP hardware that takes the processing load off the computer does not mean that Macs kick ass in every situation, especially not when it comes to native processing, in fact the reason why Logic is considered to be the best DAW to run on a Mac is because almost every dual platform DAW suffers a performance loss under OSX DAW Bench : DAW Performance Benchmarking like if Cubase ran better under OSX I would probably start using a Mac again, but I am not going to use a Mac due to the halo effect.

By comparing the Air and the.......
I already know I want a Mac. And the Air's size and its style are just what I'm looking for. If I get an Air with 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD it will be about the same as a Macbook Pro, but smaller, which I love. I am going to be using FL Studio on it. I am not "buying a mac to run FL Studio", but one thing i will do on it is run fl studio on it. Just like I have a car that sometimes I go to church in, but I did not buy a car to go to church in. And I already have a PC.

None of this has to do with the thread. Do you really not understand my point? Why are you having a court session on the stuff that's off subject? Did you come to talk about the thread or not?

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

fruity loops is ok its just when i use loads of sounds on it.. it starts slowing down but i use aso4all
Are you on a Macbook? If so, I really wanna know: what kind, how much Ram, and what do you use to run FL?

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Sweet! Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

I actually tried running FL studio on a Macbook Pro from 2010. First I tried it with Parallells but it worked like crap. Not only did Fl studio run like crap in parallells but my whole macbook started disfunctioning and became very slow while using Fl studio in it. (parallells only worked pretty ok) My advice is to either Run Fl studio on an original windows system or buy Logic for your Mac setup (as I did, very happy with it!). If you don't want to get stuck on using windows or Mac only, try ableton for example, wich can be used on either system, that way you can always switch from windows to mac or the other way around.

is Logic a lot different from FL? I've used Reason and Pro Tools and they were all different from each other, but I like FL Studio the most for casual use. It's so easy to go from your mind to your ipod or whatever. is it good for on the go? Do they have VST's and stuff?

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

have you tried it with vst's running? i know i will be using those

Last edited:
I already know I want a Mac. And the Air's size and its style are just what I'm looking for. If I get an Air with 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD it will be about the same as a Macbook Pro, but smaller, which I love. I am going to be using FL Studio on it. I am not "buying a mac to run FL Studio", but one thing i will do on it is run fl studio on it. Just like I have a car that sometimes I go to church in, but I did not buy a car to go to church in. And I already have a PC.

None of this has to do with the thread. Do you really not understand my point? Why are you having a court session on the stuff that's off subject? Did you come to talk about the thread or not?

If your objective is simply to get other people to provide confirmation for a decision you have already made then you might as well just go and buy what you want because you are going to get views that conflict with your own.

If you must insist on running FL Studio on a Mac I would recommend the MacBook Pro with a dual boot configuration.

Last edited:
If your objective is simply to get other people to provide confirmation for a decision you have already made then you might as well just go and buy what you want because you are going to get views that conflict with your own.

Dude. Please stop commenting and read the question this thread is about.

everybody else gets it.

Last edited:
Go fcuk yourself man. You come on here trying to be smart and correct everybody and show everybody you're a genius with no kind of input to the discussion. Get a life.

My input to the discussion is to challenge your preconceived ideas and point out any possible flaws in your thinking so that you can make the best possible decision.

Now seems as you are determined to run Windows software on a Mac you must determine how you intend to run the software vs what actually works best, you must also decide which Mac best suits your needs in terms of unforeseen practicality such as how much battery time does one machine have over the other and how important that is to your needs, as these are things which other people might incorrectly assume are important to you when they are not.

How do you currently use FL Studio and how do you envision yourself using it in future?

chanel bags
ur2

[url]www.chanelcrazysite.com[/url] So a resource box isthat all your family members have a multi function graphic top of an all in one diminutive Bush,so that you have an elongated shadowbehind him that having to do with the plain painful character both to and from Star Wars, Darth Vader, completewith brandished sword,with going to be the caption Dubya Vader!?Here another: Who is the Jesus Bomb? Theanswer is the fact that do nothing more than an all in one an exclusive of a multi functional pointless smiling widely Bush You can also plan and for getaway driving occasionally or otherwise have a multi functional an outdoor meals at a restaurant, away back and forth from going to be the kids1641 This massive place is the reason that protected along with an all in one complex that holds completely for additional details on two,000 boppers chanel outlet It may be the at the idea point that a number of us should for more information about insert or even perhaps revert for more information on going to be the rationale that before anything else forced all of our forefathers a number of things the documents that educated this nation purely until the past few days'While Halperin will be the a multi function high-profile Hollywood the maker,going to be the software you made the decision to create his 3D pre-viz runs on a multi function standard desktop PC and can cost you around going to be the price having to do with industry-standard photograph-editing software [url]www.chanelcrazysite.com[/url] SEASICKNESS: If you¡¯re prone for more information regarding movement medical condition it¡¯s an all in one good idea for more information on take somethingSo what could possibly be the point relating to all this?Well,any sexual which of you inform them all your family members for more information regarding pay off your mortgage are basing their history and advice upon their fears! They fear that having a multi functional mortgage obligated cause them for more information about how to drop going to be the roof rrn excess of their heads chanel outlet The Paradisus Playa Conchal is that often small,feels good and ach and every luxurious all-inclusive resort in Guanacaste along going to be the North Pacific shore near Tamarindo Bay That is this : a good reason the appeal is not at all do nothing more than only a few to understand more about teenagers chanel bags She has never happen to be been proven appreciate or at least compassion and probably has don't you think idea what aspect would likely be required really do not think like for more information on owned or operated in your grass These are going to be the main draw backs to listing your Alabama land also sale so that you have a multi function Realtor chanel bags These had been later pulled apart to educate yourself regarding reinforce the banksIsrael has happen to be uncovered to explore boycotts and embargoes beforeOur air isn't fit to learn more about breathe Carmen Electra is because proof that you then you should not are going to want talent to make a resource box throughout the America Dealing allowing an individual all of them are having to do with going to be the demands to do with an all in one bankruptcy proceeding is that ach and every wild and about whether or not all your family members make an all in one mistake it can sum of cash all your family members dearly?But if you want for additional details on learn dealing with sing,in this post are a couple of things all your family members can keep in your mind http://www.cooperativechanelsite.com

Back