MAC or PC?

JR-GR8

HIS GR8NESS
Which do yall think is better for production purposes?
Why do yall feel that way?
-Slim Junior

The one you like the best. Both are perfectly adequate for any kind of production purposes; it's just down to preference. For me - I've been using Macs professionally (for graphic design) for almost 15 years, so it's pretty natural that music, which is still a hobby, follows the same path. So - personally I do like OSX more but then again I haven't even really used Windows since the heyday of XP. Personal preference, no real technical advantage on either platform.

Mac for actually recording and running Pro Tools... I've noticed Windows generally isn't as stable as Mac when it comes to multi-tracking

oh ok. what about building a custom computer? would yall recommend that as the ultimate choice? since your putting it together your self with whatever parts you want. Im guessing with that you should be able to make something better than both right?

Mac for actually recording and running Pro Tools... I've noticed Windows generally isn't as stable as Mac when it comes to multi-tracking
That's not quite so true. Mac was the first computer company to make an OS stable enough to do music which is why most people making music took to it many years ago and it has since stuck. Fast forward to 2012 I feel that Pc is better equipped for making music because they are so customizable where macs are not. I have a pc bias personally. I don't think Macs are bad computers just a bit over priced for what you get imo. Hell I almost got a Mac Book Pro this year because OSX is amazing but the lack of usb ports really turned me off.

Ok dog, look. I have a Macbook Pro, so ofcourse I say "Mac" but listen...

In my opinion, theres no real difference. Mac is "better" because it is "simpler" and that makes it faster. PC's fk up a lot, but the OS (windows) is way more advanced than osx, honestly... OSX is just eye candy that Apple charges at 3x the cost of a similar PC. Just make sure if you do use PC, use it only for production, don't get on the internet with that computer...it will extend the life of it by bounds, trust.

no USB on macpro....that's a no go for most producers who need

that for their MIDI keyboards/Pad controllers

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

no USB on macpro....that's a no go for most producers who need

that for their MIDI keyboards/Pad controllers

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

That's not quite so true. Mac was the first computer company to make an OS stable enough to do music which is why most people making music took to it many years ago and it has since stuck. Fast forward to 2012 I feel that Pc is better equipped for making music because they are so customizable where macs are not. I have a pc bias personally. I don't think Macs are bad computers just a bit over priced for what you get imo. Hell I almost got a Mac Book Pro this year because OSX is amazing but the lack of usb ports really turned me off.

Actually the Atari ST was the standard music computer back in the day, then the Mac and you can forget about IBM computers that ran DOS back then.

The Mac became a studio standard because it was coupled with expensive hardware that did most of the heavy lifting and studios still use Pro Tools today and due to that fact both Macs and Pro Tools invoke a halo effect where people assume the brand is more important than the configuration, so people base the components of their cheap native system on the brands that make up systems that use expensive DSP hardware rather than just raw computing power.

Wait, wait, wait....it is 2012, going on 2013. While the history of computer generated music is fascinating, thats not what the topic even was...

Thats a flat out lie my dude lol. I have 2 usb ports and a firewire port on my Macbook Pro...

good to hear someone posted that up in this thread about no USB ports
I heard this before that they are moving away from USB ports????

myth or fact????

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

While I agree Pro Tools is more stable(from my experience)on OSX, FL(from my experience) and Cubase(from wayyyyy too many experienced sources telling me) are more stable on a PC. My point is, it all comes down to the software you choose to use and what you want in your operating system.

It's like asking "what's better, blondes or brunettes", "BMWs or Acuras", "Lucky Charms or Cinnamon Toast Crunch"...

I don't know... just out of personal experiences I've only known of one person who can run and operate Pro Tools on a Windows OS without a lot of latency or general PT crashing ... that's just personal experiences though.

Wait, wait, wait....it is 2012, going on 2013. While the history of computer generated music is fascinating, thats not what the topic even was...

It's relevant because history often forms the basis of peoples opinions, for example many people held the opinion that FL Studio was crap purely based on a historical perspective way after the program had evolved beyond being crap and people associate Macs with being the best computer for music based on a history that is intertwined with it's use to run powerful Pro Tools hardware in big studios....something that does not necessarily apply to running native software.

I don't get the answers saying "it depends on what you want to do". No, it doesn't, unless it involves using a platform-specific program. Other than that, both platforms are perfectly usable for everything music.

Back