Loop Playing? Live Performing?

Daggett556

Hey guys, first post here!
Funny thing I've been playing around with music for about 4 years (3 learing guitar and 1 on DAW) and never got into a music forum.

So I'll start with something wich has been bugging me a bit. I've been using FL as my main DAW since I started with electronic music. I'm not a great producer but I find playing live real fun, so I want to start small and play for myself, at parties and such.
Problem is that my notebook ain't a great processing monster, and FL isn't helping with live performing, as it only supports patterns and not recorded loops AFAIK).
SO I'm looking for any good software for performing. I need something that can loop my samples, keep em in tempo, manage filters and such through midi controllers, etc.
I've read everywhere that Ableton's Live is great for this, but seems too cluttered and complex for what I'll be using it. I also thought about Presonus Studio 1, and might look into shifting to it.
If not, any of you might know about a work-around FL's Live mode that might work. I'm sporting ASIO4ALL drivers but processing everything on the move still scares me.

Thanks in advances y'all!

PD: I'm thinking about getting a "MIDI Fighter" if I can get live performing working. Any thoghts about it? Thanks again.

Live, it was (originally) made for this sort of thing. I use it live and it works great, especially if you take the time to learn it and set it up with some choice controllers to get things mapped intuitively how you want to use it.

I think that AISO4All might be your problem if you aren't using an interface proper...what are you using? If you get a good USB or firewire one, most of your problems will be resolved that way. Of course, if you are using one, then it is your computer specs that are your problem.

FL Studio isn't great for performing in any case.

If Live isn't for you, you may enjoy rolling only what you need in Reaktor, or using even Livemachine (PC only), or some other standalone instrument/effects product that can do similar tasks.

There is going to be a learning curve regardless of what you use. I don't think Live is terribly cluttered, and if you set up your midi controllers properly, you will barely have to look at it anyway while performing. The key to all this is to practice at home, and get everything prepared and set up how you want to work before performing.

Yes, I'm convinced already, I'll try it when I finish my final exams, and will tell you how it goes! Thanks!

---------- Post added 11-28-2010 at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-24-2010 at 10:48 PM ----------

Wow, I'm really liking it a lot! Thanks.
So what do you think about using a midifighter to launch clips? I was also thinking about a XSessionPro for filters and levels, but haven't done too much research. Any thoughts on that would be awesome =)

Back