Looking to start recording vocals with an 8-track. Have a question though. Help!

D. Rodriguez

I'm not to heavy with recording through software such as Record, Cubase, etc. because my computer is a piece of sh*t, so I'm looking to buy the TASCAM DP-008, a cool little 8-track recorder. I researched the product online & found out it is quick & simple to use, but I have a question that I could not find the answer to. How would I be able to import the instrumental I am gonna use into the 8-track so I can hear it through headphones when I am recording?

I have a brand new mic that fits the 8-track's input so all that remains is the question of how to get beats I am making to play through the headphones when I press record on the 8-track. I would gladly appreciate any feedback! Peace.

you'll have to record the instrumental first on a track (you can track out different parts separately if you like: drums, synth, ext.) then record your vocals in on another.

you'll have to record the instrumental first on a track (you can track out different parts separately if you like: drums, synth, ext.) then record your vocals in on another.

So I would have to record the instrumental through my microphone? Do you think that would take away any of its sound quality? Tracking out different parts of the beat separately does make a lot of sense though.

Also thank you for the quick reply, really appreciate it fam!

It's got two 1/4 input jacks, hook those from the outputs of whatever is making the music into your recorder, hit record on your multitrack, hit play on your sequencer, then when it's done unplug it, then plug in your mic and sing.

rtfm

Chapter 11 Exchanging Data With A Computer
  • Track Import and Export
    • Pages 74-75 for Import
    • Pages 76-77 for Export

^that's actually a way better method if you are using a computer to generate your instrumental, go with that

you'll have to use my method if you ever use an old 8 track or if you instrumental comes from a synth or hardware sequencer.

Back