Is Logic Pro X worth the upgrade from 9?

DavidStarz

Been comfortable with using 9 since I've gotten it, but lately I've been contemplating upgrading. There's nothing lacking out of using 9, but the idea of trying something new is pretty intriguing. My main concerns though...

1. 32 bit plugin support. They dropped the 32 bit bridge that came with 9 so I would have to use a 3rd party bridge. Does anyone know if it's as reliable and easy to set up?

2. Learning curve. I have a pretty good handle on Logic 9, but with the new interface and new features, I would assume that the updates come with a new learning curve.

Does anyone have any insight on this? And if anyone has their own opinions or thoughts, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I like the upgrade. You can always go back to 9 if you don't like it and you can always write off the upgrade price.

Did it take a while for you to get accustomed to the new interface and changes?

had it for 2 weeks now and cant complain at all.. to me LPX is better, cleaner interface and fresher looking. I can spend hours working on LPX with no probs, some of the key command short cuts were changed (you can use LP9 settings if you like) but i kept it to the new LPX settings AND i have almost got my head around the ones I use the most.

Track stacks are amazing and makes the mixing process that much easier.
Smart controls for easy access to certain plugin affects is dope and handy to have
Arp FX - loving it + lots more.

the 32bit plugin issue I was also concerned about because I used to use Sylenth a lot BUT oh well its gone... i cant be bothered with setting up the 32bit plugin bridge thing and to be honest I dont miss Sylenth, LPX Retro synth is amazing at creating your own sounds if you need to.

Go for it!

I haven't updated yet, not sure i'll bother but i'm wondering, is there more keyboard navigation available than in 9? For example, can you navigate and select options in the dialogue boxes, such as new track, factory processes etc., with the keyboard arrows, tab and space? Have they implemented an i/o hotkey that brings up the menu? ..and another that open and closes plugins and instruments? Not V because that's irksome and not CMD-W because that can be troublesome... a specific hotkey for the job.

How are the controller assignments? Do they still seem to develop a mind of their own every once in a while?

Back