Learn how to listen and follow directions.

JMD_Music

One thing I've noticed since I joined this site is that a lot of people here can't seem to follow directions. This mainly happens in the collaboration section but I want to post it here since it's a general topic. When someone asks you do to do something, don't change it up to your liking. I'm mainly referring to people requesting that others PM them or email them. But in the responses, so many people tell the OP to email them instead, blatantly disregarding what the OP requested. If an industry executive says "call me" or "email me," are you gonna respond and say the same thing back to them. I hope not; because if you do, they'll most likely never contact you and just move on to the next producer/artist.

Just something I wanted to share because I see it here and on twitter a lot.

Challenging the status quo makes the most sense.

Following directions is for people that are too dumb to make decisions for themselves. Besides, if an executive is giving out orders to follow like that, you aren't respected by that executive. Any job above McDonalds or Walmart allows some leeway for independent thinking.

Stay in school if you do not want to be treated like a mindless moron by people in power.

Always trolling I see...

Ignoring what people with clout and experience say will get you nowhere. Thinking you know it all right out of the gate isn't good for you.

You're completely Right.
And There's a huge difference Between "Taking Initiative" and Just being Plain Stubborn.

Worse enough , If Your Ability Does not Warrant that caliber or arrogance , Executives will not put up with your childishness or incompetence.

Last edited:
You're completely Right.
And There's a huge difference Between "Taking Initiative" and Just being Plain Stubborn.

Worst enough , If Your Ability Does not Warrant that caliber or arrogance , Executives will not put up with your childishness or incompetence.

The problem with a lot of people.

One thing I've noticed since I joined this site is that a lot of people here can't seem to follow directions. This mainly happens in the collaboration section but I want to post it here since it's a general topic. When someone asks you do to do something, don't change it up to your liking. I'm mainly referring to people requesting that others PM them or email them. But in the responses, so many people tell the OP to email them instead, blatantly disregarding what the OP requested. If an industry executive says "call me" or "email me," are you gonna respond and say the same thing back to them. I hope not; because if you do, they'll most likely never contact you and just move on to the next producer/artist.

Just something I wanted to share because I see it here and on twitter a lot.

Ignoring what people with clout and experience say will get you nowhere. Thinking you know it all right out of the gate isn't good for you.

You're completely Right.

Worst enough , If Your Ability Does not Warrant that caliber or arrogance , Executives will not put up with your childishness or incompetence.

For what it is worth I give this run of posts my stamp of approval:

if you cannot follow simple directions/instructions, how do you expect to have anyone do the same for you one day:

i.e. you don't get to be boss on day one unless you create the company on day one; in which case you better know what you are doing otherwise you will lose money fast and maybe even lose your company; treating people like dirt or, at best, worth less than you, is no way to make connections in this or any other industry.

Very interesting thread.

All I can say is... You gotta know when to hold em and when to fold em.

If you got enough authority then you can make up your own rules, until then follow the directions. they're there for a reason.

Nice post OP.

Back