Korg Pad Kontrol / M-Audio Trigger Finger / Akai MPD 16

T

tekara

hi everyone

Ive been faced with a dillema for the past month and im still not sure how to do this, but i make mainly techno music and im finding it very counter-intuitive and totally uncreative in making 4/4 drums by drawing notes in the key editor.

I've been suggested that making drums for all kinds of music are awesome with the MPC 2000xl, but for almost a grand 2nd hand its quite expensive i was also suggested in getting something like Native Instruments Battery and one of those 16 pad midi controllers that replicate the feel of the MPC.

My main question is which of the three controllers would you choose? Would you rather not buy any of them and get an actual MPC? If not, how easy is it to assign samples to the drum pads in Battery? Is it drag and drop?

Please keep in mind that im using mostly software right now and sequence all of my VST's and my Virus in Cubase SX3. I like the idea trying to keep things as simple as possible, hence im leaning a bit more towards the Battery route.

Any suggestions?

thanks for the long read :)

Korg Pad Kontrol would be the way to go in my opinion. I've got both the Trigger Finger (you'll find it on Ebay on Tuesday), and the Korg Pad Kontrol. I'd say the Pad Kontrol is the easiest to configure because you can configure it without having to go through any librarian, you can do it onboard. You might be able to do that with the Trigger Finger too, I dont know. I use Reason, and I was having the toughest time getting the Trigger Finger to configure with the Redrum. The Pad Kontrol on the other hand, was smooth as ice.

The Pad Kontrol also has a feature called X-Y (that you find on keyboards with the mod and pitch wheels) which I use alot. Other than that there is the Flam, Hold, and Roll buttons, which are also nice. You can do drum rolls in Battery, but its easier to control the speed of the roll with the Pad Kontrol, than with Battery. Just my opinion.

:sing:

I own various MPCs, so I can't find a viable need to get one of these units....though I've used both the TF and MPD, a bit. Out of those I prefer the TF. However. I've never really been on the PK to pass judgement. At any rate the whole motif of me posting here was just to say try them all, and also looking into the newer MPD24 from Akai as it's bound to improve upon the MPD and take a bit of guidance from the others.

Battery is almost too simple.

like hel said try them all at your local shop if your able to.i wish i would hve.last week i bought the mpd on a fri and returned it on sun afternoon. very disappointed.tried the pad kontrol it was awesome ididnt buy it cuz i still wanted to try the t/f.hopefully akai made major improvements whe they made the mpd 24

Battery is just want you want. You trully don't even need a drum pad anything. If you have a midi keyboard you can do it EASILY. Do samples do anything in battery that you can do in those pad controller. Get Battery. I have it and I would suggest it to anybody that wants to do drums professionaly. I also suggest you do ur "drum loops" or any other loop in 1 or 2 not 4 little sercert I got from some professional.

pads>>>>keys for drum programming.

I have the mpd16 BTW, i love it. I use it in Reason or in Cubase with Battery, no need for an mpc unless my drivers/midi crap out on me.

dmensah1 said:
pads>>>>keys for drum programming.

I have the mpd16 BTW, i love it. I use it in Reason or in Cubase with Battery, no need for an mpc unless my drivers/midi crap out on me.

me too, Battery or Reason, it's real cool.

Relevent Muzik said:
I also suggest you do ur "drum loops" or any other loop in 1 or 2 not 4 little sercert I got from some professional.

What do you mean by 1 or 2? You mean quarter note beats? Is that only when sequencing the midi or in a step sequencer?

Relevent Muzik said:
Battery is just want you want. You trully don't even need a drum pad anything. If you have a midi keyboard you can do it EASILY. Do samples do anything in battery that you can do in those pad controller. Get Battery. I have it and I would suggest it to anybody that wants to do drums professionaly. I also suggest you do ur "drum loops" or any other loop in 1 or 2 not 4 little sercert I got from some professional.

You can't be serious? Doing drums on a keyboard is nowhere near the same as on a drum pad. Drum pads exist for a reason.

I'll leave you with the following. You could make fire with some rocks but it's a hell of alot easier to do it with a lighter.

Tohtruck said:
What do you mean by 1 or 2? You mean quarter note beats? Is that only when sequencing the midi or in a step sequencer?

I meant bars. Do it in a 2 bar system. I've seen it done on a mpc by Rodney Jerkins.

DigitalTechnic said:
You can't be serious? Doing drums on a keyboard is nowhere near the same as on a drum pad. Drum pads exist for a reason.

I'll leave you with the following. You could make fire with some rocks but it's a hell of alot easier to do it with a lighter.

It is the same when you are using Battery. I have seen it done. They have the same usage. the velocity and everything is all the same. People like using those beefy pads cuz they think you can tell the difference but you cant. You can do all the thing u can do on a mpc as u can on a computer. U can do 16 levels on mpc and where do u think they got that idea from? using a keyboard...

Relevent Muzik said:
I meant bars. Do it in a 2 bar system. I've seen it done on a mpc by Rodney Jerkins.

It only takes common-sense, not a system....and even if you did use a "system" it's definitely not the only possible way of working, nor the worst or best. It's okay to toss pointers, but let's also promote freedom to explore, as opposed to hard pressed "do it, as such" commands. :D

People like using those beefy pads cuz they think you can tell the difference but you cant.
What? And people like using keys and strings because they imagine some kind of moot difference, too. *pause* Okay....I disagree. It doesn't workout great for everyone, just like not everyone want's to play an upright bass or a flute, but it's definitely not about thinking there's a difference. It's about feeling a difference. Just like you use keys for playing chords or such, for some, pads feel more natural and closer to a design oriented around drums as opposed to keys or such. That's like saying people should start buying Epiphone clones of Gibson guitars, because there's no difference -- or that everyone should use the same MTR software, because there's no difference -- or that people should use a huge gong instead of a Pearl drum kit. I'm confused, maybe I should just go beat on pots and pans, totally tossing both keys and pads? I mean, since there's no difference in ergonomics and workflow between....well anything. Note: I'm not referring to quality, I'm moreover illustrating differences. "The best tool, is the tool that gives the best results" -- proverb from a Kungfu Movie. Exactly how much gear have you really been on (hopefully you don't just name software and a M-Audio controller)? :rolleyes:

U can do 16 levels on mpc and where do u think they got that idea from? using a keyboard...
Not really. No, really, that made no sense, at all. :cheers:

Oh, and to the original poster, let's no forget that Battery is not your only option -- there are other software that rival or simply overshadows Battery altogether.

Realize216 said:
I'd suggest Battery 2 myself if it wasnt so damned buggy.

I'll trade you Kontakt's bugs for Battery's anyday. I don't really get many hiccups, if any, in Battery 2. Version 1 was buggy though. The newest update to Kontakt made me rollback to the previous, until the next update *shudders*.

Speaking of, I need to see if there's a newer one (Kontakt), because hopefully NI fixes it quick. Good thing the new features and enhancements aren't dire :victory:

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn get off my dick. Ur looking through every thing i said and tryna make me look stupid.

The bar comment wasn't a command it was pointer I learned from rodney.

You tried to make that long statement and it had nothing to do what i was talking about. I'm talking using drums on either a drum pad or keys not brass or nothing else.

You obivously don't kno what 16 levels are otherwise you would know what I meant.

I'm trying to make you look stupid? Actually, you made yourself look stupid. First of all I'd already assumed you were an idiot when your username was spelled Relevent. It's Relevant. I can understand the hip reasoning behind Muzik, as such foolery is common (Musick, Muzak), but a word of wisdom -- when you misspell an adjective a word usually loses it's meaning, especially when it's only one letter. I'm not really here to step on your wrists, son, I commented not because I'm "on your dick", but because your ideas were biased, misinformed and absolutely misleading. Let's keep your sexual preferences out of this though, I don't want the wifey to get jealous of internet hoochies. :D

You say Rodney, as if I'm supposed to know who he is. No offense to whomever it is, but my view is still the same.

You tried to make that long statement and it had nothing to do what i was talking about. I'm talking using drums on either a drum pad or keys not brass or nothing else.

I....can...type.....more....than....three....words....per...minute....ass, which means that wasn't much effort. Honestly, it only appears long because of your quoted meandering. Get off the internet, especially a forum, if you don't want to read.

I won't even address the rest of it, because you pretty much exposed your own ignorance. Didn't really mean to hurt your feelings though, buddy -- if I really wanted to try and crush your ideas I would've approached it alot differently.

edit: Now let's go back to the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:
WTF? At one point this is a perfectly helpful thread with the utmost relevance to what will likely be my next purchase, and the next... Sigh... Oh well, those posts have information to be found in them too, I guess...

So, to get back on topic, can someone tell me how the whole 'getting your drums into your sequencer' thing works? I use ACID Pro 5.

What is the actual use of Battery? Is it a plugin or stand alone software? Is it only used to change the samples that the drum pad plays? Can I sequence midi in it? Can I put ANY sound I want in it, or do I have to buy special kits? Is this where I'd assign the controls for any faders or knobs?

How do I get the audio for my drums into its own track, Do I just record it like it's another instrument? If i want to edit it after the fact, will it take considerable effort?

Is it possible to set different pads to 'on/off', for, say, automatically playing a hi hat hit on every 16th?

Lastly, is this tool practical for use with producing drum and bass?

I'm sorry there are so many questions here, but these are all things I've been wondering and this seems to be the closest to an answer-all thread on pad controllers I've seen yet...

Also, for me it's down to the Korg PadKontrol (I'm debating on the effectiveness that the drum roll pad will have for me, though...) and the MPD24 (does anyone else find it odd that the knobs are on the right side of the pads?)

Thanks so much, I know there's a lot here to sift through... :)

-ADAM

EDIT: Found some Battery info here, but it's $200! Do these pad controllers come with their own software?

Last edited:
hel said:
I'm trying to make you look stupid? Actually, you made yourself look stupid. First of all I'd already assumed you were an idiot when your username was spelled Relevent. It's Relevant. I can understand the hip reasoning behind Muzik, as such foolery is common (Musick, Muzak), but a word of wisdom -- when you misspell an adjective a word usually loses it's meaning, especially when it's only one letter. I'm not really here to step on your wrists, son, I commented not because I'm "on your dick", but because your ideas were biased, misinformed and absolutely misleading. Let's keep your sexual preferences out of this though, I don't want the wifey to get jealous of internet hoochies. :D

You say Rodney, as if I'm supposed to know who he is. No offense to whomever it is, but my view is still the same.

I....can...type.....more....than....three....words....per...minute....ass, which means that wasn't much effort. Honestly, it only appears long because of your quoted meandering. Get off the internet, especially a forum, if you don't want to read.

I won't even address the rest of it, because you pretty much exposed your own ignorance. Didn't really mean to hurt your feelings though, buddy -- if I really wanted to try and crush your ideas I would've approached it alot differently.

edit: Now let's go back to the topic.

I know how to spell the word relevant. I picked to spell relevent this way it is because it gave the word a different look if you have a problem with it talk to my marketing director who said this way gives it a different look a attractive style. And each letter stands for something. so i got it this way. Rodney is for Rodney Jerkins. I suggested his way because he a known producer that has made more hits then you will EVER IN LIFE MAKE. Sorry to say. Do your research on him :-/

1. Is it a plugin or stand alone software? Both you can use it stand alone, and also as a plugin. It opens in just about every program that opens vsti's.2. Is it only used to change the samples that the drum pad plays? Not just drum pads keyboards also. And no you can load samples, beef them up, load drums add hi hats under them... so much more.3.Can I sequence midi in it? Can I put ANY sound I want in it, or do I have to buy special kits? In your progam you sequence midi or usb. Any sound u want, you can use your normal wav. It uses akai files it mostly any files.4.Is this where I'd assign the controls for any faders or knobs?I dont understand.5.How do I get the audio for my drums into its own track, Do I just record it like it's another instrument? If i want to edit it after the fact, will it take considerable effort?6.Well idk since your using acid. I have not used acid like that before. If it records like a step seq. it should be very easy to edit. 7.Is it possible to set different pads to 'on/off', for, say, automatically playing a hi hat hit on every 16th?Yes thats in Battery 2. Idk about 1.8.Lastly, is this tool practical for use with producing drum and bass?I never heard it being used for drum and bass.

Last edited:
Well, thank you for taking the time to answer all that =)

When i asked about 'assigning the knobs and faders', I'm referring to the knobs that are on the padKontrol or MPD24. Apparently they're assignable, but I don't know what you can assign to them. Effects or vol/pan, I presume... I was wondering if Battery is where I'd do the assigning, though...

Are there any alternatives to Battery? I mean, anything that's comparably equipped? Cost isn't really an issue if I get something I'm happy with...

Well, now I guess the big question is Akai or Korg... Since this is a subjective matter, I'd like to make my own decision, but is there anything I should take into consideration besides build quality, pad feel, and the faders/knobs?

Thanks again!

-ADAM

Last edited:
If you want a bunch of buttons and knobs, the MPD 16 is not for you.

The Akai MPD 16 is basic, just the pads, one slider (assignable), and mode switch buttons (3) each controlling different aspects, such as 16-level, bank, and full level.

Its simple, easy to install and works perfect.

Pad assignment is easy, just do it before you open your production software or remember the default (which is easier to do than what most would think).

-----

As for all this other discussion on off topic subjects, hel killed it, and RM really needs to not disrespect people for correcting an obvious error in what you said. The whole 16 level thing related to keyboards? I almost fell out my chair bro.

------

If you like knobs and faders, why not get a dedicated device for those, like the bcr & bcf 2000, but there are plenty.

The reason I suggest this, is that I like to have simple units, that do one task good, not half-assing 4 jobs.

That is my preference.

I do have to say that the Korg Pad looks impressive.

Research always helps, I think that should go for the original poster as much for RM.

Back