Is a kick drum mic an upgrade from a Blue snowball?

KonKossKang

Ozagas
The one I'm interested in is the BETA 52A Kick Drum Microphone | Shure Americas at the moment, purely for drum designing.
Snowball's pretty decent but I am quite curious of the benefits of a kickdrum mic compared to a regular mic that is not labeled [kick drum mic]

Come to think of it is a kick drum mic [Even if it'll be used entirely for drum design] would make more sense than a regular mic?

Basically shure beta 52a vs the h6n.

What exactly do you mean with "drum designing" in this context? Kick/bass mics have a tailored frequency response towards the low end, are usually rugged & have a high SPL tolerance – but I'm not sure if they're especially handy in general recording of source sounds. The H6n is going to be much more versatile in this regard.

Sound design, but specifically drums cuz for synthesis I use reason for the digital, samples and vsts for melodic stuff but for foley and making kick drums with desks and stuff the snowball is lackin.

The h6n...I wonder if simply getting that for recording stuff like desk hittin and stuff and just using the Eq would be better than the shure mic, might go that route actually.
Doing that route on a snowball, results ain't pretty lol but maybe on a h6n that method would work

Last edited:
The Shure mike would be much better for recording low freq./bass instruments such as actual bass drums or bass guitar amp, etc. The Snowball is an a-ok general purpose/easy-to-use computer mike, but you already know there are better choices.

That being said, if you want to record all kinds of sounds (especially creating your own samples out of home/industrial sfx/Foley type sounds like desk hits, metal clinks, towel dispenser racks, etc.), you probably want a more "general purpose" workhorse. You can go with a condenser, which can be great for "crisp" recordings and things with a lot of detail (vocals, for instance), but you'll need phantom power and a few other accessory items. If you go with a nice dynamic, you will probably save money (at least to begin with), and be more comfortable taking it out and about and not worrying about it handling higher SPL's, as Krushing said. Plus, if you get a cardioid pattern, you can take advantage of mike placement/"pre-EQing" tricks like proximity effect.

But the H6N (I assume you're talking about the Zoom unit) is an all-in-one recording solution; record with on-board mikes (or plug-in your own), transfer to computer, and go to town... I think that might be your best bet. Portable, decent recording, and pretty easy to work with. I use a Zoom H1 for live and field recording all the time and love it. Now they have a firmware update (that probably comes standard on the H6?) that lets you use the Zoom as a USB microphone/simple audio interface directly, so you don't even have to transfer from the card (just record right to computer if you want). So I'd look into that, if I were you.

GJ

funnily enough I actually like using kick drum mics for close micing of woodwind and brass - all the benefits of high spl capacity and a roll-off in the extreme partials/overtones that makes the sound mellower - i.e. using the mic to "pre-eq" the sound - starting doing this with an AKG D112 (sadly discontinued) in '87

so depending on what you are trying to achieve, getting the shure may be useful

Well I've made a decision finally lol, shure 91a for drums but for really really serious sound design in the far future I might have to save up for a huge shotgun mic.

Last edited:
Back