Just a couple of questions

Vendro

Hi guys !
So im trying to make house music and i'm wondering do the drums .. so snare,clap,kick,hats, and percussion like cowbells...
do they have to be all in the same key ?
Does it have anything to do with triads ? Lets say c major triad that has 3 keys ( 0bviously xD) ( C , E , G ) and lets say my kick is in C. So now i can combine with e and g with all the other elements or only c ? why not lets say in f if it sounds good ? or can i ? someone just explain this please
I'm really struggling here cuz i just want it to sound right and its really stopping me from making music cuz i think its wrong ..
TNX IN ADVANCE Broducers

Last edited by a moderator:
Drums (live percussion/"in real life") are generally considered un-pitched instruments. But in certain cases, snare drums and bass drums can be tuned "in key." It is also fairly common for conga drums as well, and of course timpani are pitched. In certain electronic music circles, it may be common to insist that kick drums are tuned to specific notes. Your question is somewhat nuanced and has several layers to its answer.

That is the short answer. An even shorter one would be "No, right now, don't even think about that." Just make your rhythm track.

It would be nearly unheard of to approach percussion programming in the way that you describe; creating "chords" out of drumset parts because they happen to fall on a specific key on your MIDI keyboard or on a particular note on a piano-roll screen. They are just convenient reference points for the most part.

What are you using to make your percussion tracks and how are you making them?

GJ

The answer above is perfect.

Elements that have a defined and sustained fundamental should be tuned to the root note scale. Exemples: Synths, sub bass, kick sub frequency (sometimes it can be not tuned, depends on how long the sub is and how it appears in the mixdown), vocals.

Elements that are unpitched are free to be whatever. Exemples: Hats, White Noise, Claps (sometimes), Snares (sometimes).

Some snares and claps will have a defined (and very fast) fundamental, you can test in the mixdown to tune them to the root note scale, you may find that it can fit better. Or not, really depends on the context.

Best regards,
-4ngus

Back