日本J-pop/Electro Music Production

Alska

Alska
Minna-san Konichiwa !

SO, I've been endlessly working on learning ableton and learning how to play piano, etc. I realized I should try to communicate with people who are into J-pop/Electro and maybe want to produce music related to the genre. My list of favorite Japanese musicians/Bands are:

(kz)Livetune MESHI SMILE

Dixie Flatline ClariS

Galilieo Galilei Utada HIkaru

Supercar

Yun Chi and many more..

With that being said, my goal is to make music similar to the following artist, mostly similar to Livetune and Meshi smile. The only problems I've personally been having with trying to get things going for me in Ableton live 9 is so far: Getting different types of synth sounds( Like where would I get them? OR do I have to make them with what I have in Ableton live 9 ? ), getting the right kind of kick, making melodies that give that " fluttering " effect ( ex:Link-> ゆうきまさみ×kz[livetune]Crosslight : 04. Panorama Future - YouTube I've managed to do something similar but it's not yet quite right in a way, practice practice x.x ). And thats pretty much if for me. I intend on working on Vocaloid's too ( Miku, Luka, etc ) in the future once I've working out my issues with Ableton. What have you all done towards making music similar to J-pop/Electro ? Any tips/solutions ? Feel free to post anything ! Thank you :3

I'm an amateur— really amateur, but I can help you. If you need more sounds google something along the lines of X sounds for ableton/X samples for ableton, I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of resources. (by X I mean synth and stuff, y'know.)

by the way, I digged your works! you've got lots of potential.

I'm an amateur— really amateur, but I can help you. If you need more sounds google something along the lines of X sounds for ableton/X samples for ableton, I'm pretty sure you'll find a lot of resources. (by X I mean synth and stuff, y'know.)

by the way, I digged your works! you've got lots of potential.

I'll do that ^_^ and thanks so much for saying that, it means so so so much to me more than you'll ever realize ^_^ I wish you the best on learning music production, don't be afraid to take your time with the basics, it helps to really take it nice and easy and make sure you understand things ^_^ Good luck! And hope I make songs you'll like !

Hey! wa wa wa.

I too love pop/electro. I plan to make it, by the way. Bless you.

So what do you need??? I don't know your bands and your desires, I haven't listened. But...

The synth that is elegant and and nice is Synthmaster2. I think it can be hard to work with but still has quite a bit of electro attitude to it. It also can get gritty with work on it's drive, and detune. Synthmaster has cool waveforms for sure making that grit wave sound or smooth or in between. It all starts with the oscillator (waveform thing). Such as square, sine, triangle, saw. For instance the SAW gets like a chain saw sound kinda.

Synthmaster has a juno type sound on some of its oscilators which is cool for electro mostly. ALso is has some Oberheim and Arp 2600 as well as many others. Really neat behavior on it's waveform oscillators (osc.)

Rapture is more of a Tiesto sound to me and I have it used on my soundcloud. Sylenth1 is like am Access Virus and I love adding analog behavior with a saturator. It really makes all the difference and can make it way more attitude (attitude). SO in other words with work and a saturator it can sound like an Andromeda by Alesis. It really depends on what you want to sound like. Please post a link to the sound you like and I will give better advice. Another alternative that sounds actually kinda metallic is Zeta2. While not fun to work with it does sound grey like it looks.

So basically probably Sylenth1 or Rapture but Rapture sounds more like a man and Sylenth1 like a combination (combo).

But mostly I plan on using Synthmaster2 for Electro. And although I have no Synthmaster stuff at soundcloud right now, Perhaps via your request I can make an electro song for you to listen what it sounds like. I definitely think Synthmaster2 sound like a middle of the road good choice to make electro pop and pretty sounds. While Sylenth1 is a lot more of strictly a trance and house synth it still can with added attitude turn into electro in some sorts of ways (sometimes).

Anata wa ai no yūjin yori motto motto hoshī

Faith Fox

now off to my homies like my shins and my name is Anthony (Tony) haha wa wa wa

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey! wa wa wa.

I too love pop/electro. I plan to make it, by the way. Bless you.

So what do you need??? I don't know your bands and your desires, I haven't listened. But...

The synth that is elegant and and nice is Synthmaster2. I think it can be hard to work with but still has quite a bit of electro attitude to it. It also can get gritty with work on it's drive, and detune. Synthmaster has cool waveforms for sure making that grit wave sound or smooth or in between. It all starts with the oscillator (waveform thing). Such as square, sine, triangle, saw. For instance the SAW gets like a chain saw sound kinda.

Synthmaster has a juno type sound on some of its oscilators which is cool for electro mostly. ALso is has some Oberheim and Arp 2600 as well as many others. Really neat behavior on it's waveform oscillators (osc.)

Rapture is more of a Tiesto sound to me and I have it used on my soundcloud. Sylenth1 is like am Access Virus and I love adding analog behavior with a saturator. It really makes all the difference and can make it way more attitude (attitude). SO in other words with work and a saturator it can sound like an Andromeda by Alesis. It really depends on what you want to sound like. Please post a link to the sound you like and I will give better advice. Another alternative that sounds actually kinda metallic is Zeta2. While not fun to work with it does sound grey like it looks.

So basically probably Sylenth1 or Rapture but Rapture sounds more like a man and Sylenth1 like a combination (combo).

But mostly I plan on using Synthmaster2 for Electro. And although I have no Synthmaster stuff at soundcloud right now, Perhaps via your request I can make an electro song for you to listen what it sounds like. I definitely think Synthmaster2 sound like a middle of the road good choice to make electro pop and pretty sounds. While Sylenth1 is a lot more of strictly a trance and house synth it still can with added attitude turn into electro in some sorts of ways (sometimes).

Anata wa ai no yūjin yori motto motto hoshī

Faith Fox

now off to my homies like my shins and my name is Anthony (Tony) haha wa wa wa

Wow thats really awesome :) Thanks for the helpful reply haha it's been a while since I posted this but believe it or not I've learn A LOT since then in such a short amount of time, I"m still learning though. I've mostly been trying to figure out how to get really electro harmonic like basses similar to this in a lot of Kzlivetune's songs/remixes :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DK5NhcXEps#t=216

Something that has a bit of grittiness and if you do an octave jump then play down the to lower octava ( say for example you're playing on C3, then jump up to C4 then play all the C4 major notes going down back to C3) I really want that harmonic gritty bass of his. I've been tryting to get it but failed countless times :/ If you need more references to his basses let me know ^^

Also, love the synth recommendations I"ll definately be trying some of them out, I don't like sylenth much x.x I've been practicing doing the bass above in Fm8 so far, Fm8 is pretty fun to me ^^

Thanks again for the help :)

hhehhehe... I see. not to make you embarrassed but I think you are a bit off track :)

To make the grit that I heard for the shortwhile I listened you do it like this. You really detune it. You find the gritty area of the synth so ironically it is in the middle to upper cutoff frequency for grit. Use and EQ to desired flavor and grit as well.

Sorry I don't know of a synth that sounds like "that". It sounds really great and good. It sounds like a combo between sylenth1 (which can do that grit sound just like-that) and a Synthmaster or Omnisphere combonation.

I have onlt heard a bit of the demoes on Omnisphere but it sounds quite like that in a way. One thing I don't know is... does Omnisphere make normal sounds or just mostly wacko sounds like pianos on fire. Othere than that I think Omnisphere has sounded a lot like that in demos. Sad though, it is very expensive. Perhaps you get a place like Sweetwater to give advice and have listen to that song as well. Ask for someone who does synths a lot or knows Omnisphere well.

What are all the synths you have may I ask. I personally don't use Kontakt or NI but FM8 is pretty cool.

Also one place to check out is Waves.com for Element synth. Sad though it doesn't have many different waveforms but it does sound poppish and pure. It is additive but it sounds really pretty cool from the demo it gives pretty well.

Omnisphere, Synthmaster2, Element. and with EQ I think you can get results you would really like with work put into it with sylenth1 if you have that already, but it sure doesn't sound as popish as that song so maybe not. One thing you can do is add a saturator to cream it up and thicken it in ABleton Live. So keep in mind you can really improve synths,

I can't wait to hear what Synths you have. I demoed Fm8 before. It was actually pretty cool!

Oh by the way. KVRAUdio.com has lots of info on synths. You can find tons of synths there to search. but the prices it list about them are off (different).

PS

If you could get ahold of it maybe call Cakewalk.com and see if they still carry Second Coming. It is pink and probably sounds for a girl. I have Rapture and it's blue. Sounds boy.

hhehhehe... I see. not to make you embarrassed but I think you are a bit off track :)

To make the grit that I heard for the shortwhile I listened you do it like this. You really detune it. You find the gritty area of the synth so ironically it is in the middle to upper cutoff frequency for grit. Use and EQ to desired flavor and grit as well.

Sorry I don't know of a synth that sounds like "that". It sounds really great and good. It sounds like a combo between sylenth1 (which can do that grit sound just like-that) and a Synthmaster or Omnisphere combonation.

I have onlt heard a bit of the demoes on Omnisphere but it sounds quite like that in a way. One thing I don't know is... does Omnisphere make normal sounds or just mostly wacko sounds like pianos on fire. Othere than that I think Omnisphere has sounded a lot like that in demos. Sad though, it is very expensive. Perhaps you get a place like Sweetwater to give advice and have listen to that song as well. Ask for someone who does synths a lot or knows Omnisphere well.

What are all the synths you have may I ask. I personally don't use Kontakt or NI but FM8 is pretty cool.

Also one place to check out is Waves.com for Element synth. Sad though it doesn't have many different waveforms but it does sound poppish and pure. It is additive but it sounds really pretty cool from the demo it gives pretty well.

Omnisphere, Synthmaster2, Element. and with EQ I think you can get results you would really like with work put into it with sylenth1 if you have that already, but it sure doesn't sound as popish as that song so maybe not. One thing you can do is add a saturator to cream it up and thicken it in ABleton Live. So keep in mind you can really improve synths,

I can't wait to hear what Synths you have. I demoed Fm8 before. It was actually pretty cool!

Well so far I use FabFilter one, FM8, and Nexus mainly. I do have massive, MDA, sylenth1, and Harmless, but still learning them :)

Here is something finally for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

U-he’s Zebra 2 Presets, EDM Synth Sounds, Progressive House Presets, Electro House Chords, Trance Leads, Bass & Sequence Sounds

A bank of presets for Zebra 2. Sounds cool like you wanted. Well, I think!?

Thanks so much xD I'll check it out haha ^_^

Back