I'm a VERY frustrated producer. At what point do you give up on your dreams?

I've been producing and mixing for about 7 years (House music). I've only had 1 gig, and despite some friendly comments, none of my tracks or mixes have really garnered much attention. I relocated and took 6 months off from music due to being frustrated. I'm once again inspired to make music and mix. The problem is, I'm 27 years old, competing for gigs with much younger talent, and a lot of the producers you see getting signed these days are also much younger. The gigs that I try to secure are usually given to much younger talent. It really takes down my confidence and makes me think my time has passed. It's kind of a scary thought. I've spent literally every penny I have on equipment, ruined relationships for this music, and have put so much time into it. I love producing but I'm starting to think I'm too old to compete with the younger generation. I'm also realizing that creatively, I'm "losing it". I'm not pushing the barrier as I did when I was younger. My tracks are becoming very generic and it's just frustrating. I feel like I've wasted a lot of my life making music. While my friends are getting married and having kids, I'm still sitting around the midi controllers, trying to make tracks. I've got nothing to show for all the years of producing.

I always believed that if you really want something, try and try again. Fail, fail, fail, and try again. I've wanted this more than anything in my life. LITERALLY. But I just couldn't breakthrough. I'm out in the middle of a snowstorm every weekend handing out my promos. I think I've given out about 5000 cds (They all include info for booking) without a SINGLE email or phone call. Soundcloud, Facebook, I've spent money on all of that stuff to get my name out there. My music IS of good quality, and my mixes are very nice. I'm a presentable guy, good communication skills, I just don't get why I can't make it. I'm 27, I survive on ramen noodles because I spend every single extra dollar on new equipment or buying music for my mixes, and I'm hating it about now.

Last edited:
Create some balance. Take a step back from music for a bit and take a look at the big picture. Focus on rekindling relationships and stop living off ramen because you feel that having brand new equipment will somehow get you ahead. Spend some of that extra money on things you need, not things that you want (a hint: shiny new equipment is not a need).

In short, make some time for things other than music, it sounds like you need it.

99.99% don't get paid (or not enough to live off music) consider it a hobby and love doing it instead of focusing on the money belive me plumbing, electricity and normal jobs make money these days not music , harder than making the NBA with the amount of competition compared to the slots available. The youth always get first nod in today's music culture it has to do with popularity, image and the fact 12 year olds control the market, to have a chance you'd have to go out to clubs 7 days a week and be a social alcoholic almost untill you find a friend with big connections and even then lots of the top dogs are falling off like flies. The only money left in the music buis is live shows, management and marketing for corporations. Maybe try youtube videos, start dropping crazy videos all over the place and go to every site dropping links, just grind it out. One things for sure just because some people are getting paid doesn't mean they are the best they just got lucky or knew somebody or in the rare case they are actually gifted.

hey man.... i'm 21 and and i'm starting to get the same feeling that you are. I wish i knew the answer. All i can say is that I'm glad to know that i'm not the only one feeling that way.

The scariest thought is telling everybody that you've given up... cuz you never thought you'd ever be "that guy".

I would say that I share your frustration. Music is a very difficult business to make a living in, but most musicians (wrongly) focus on music almost exclusively. It takes that kind of dedication to perfect your craft. What most musicians do not realize is that it takes more than talent to make it. It takes marketing. Yuk! I hate it, you hate it. Most of us do not know how to do it, but there are tools out there to make the process painless. I have a few listed on my site if you care to take a look.

Producer Toolz Review

Hope you find something helpful!

Dave

alright. heres what it is. don't ever ever give up. I know it's going to be hard to truly adapt the belief that one day you'll succeed, because of that annoying voice in the back of your head going "what if...." "maybe i just wasn't meant for this...." , but really fullout perserverence will win it all. And that would mean that if things arne't working out... you either change the way you do things, get some real feedback from masses of people (not just people you know) and if the musics fine, start working on your business side of things. If you don't want to, find a manager that really wants to push you out there! You'd be surprised what a manager can do for you.

If young people are intimidating you.... look on the bright side, you probably have been listening to your genre longer than them, thats a marketing outlet right there... market yourself as the dude who knows his shit. I don't know but you catch my drift right?

YOu only fail when you give up.

My mom came to me the other day and told me "i just want you to know that if you don't make it in music, me and your father won't consider you a failure..."

that shit just made me mad and now i'm trying harder.

Its shit times like these that make the success taste SOOO much sweeter than these "kids" who get lucky. Those who get lucky rarely stay in the game. Those that had to fight hard for it appreciate it so much they usually end up having longevity in the industry. Once you get your foot in the industry is when the true battle begins. ;)

I have a friend who makes electronic music just like you who is managed by this company here in vancouver www.livevision.ca they manage DJ's and producers from around the world so i'm sure they would take you too.

Good luck

Last edited:
I hear ya. And it can definitely wear on you. But look at some of the people killing it right now:

Dr. Luke is almost 40 and got his big break less than a year ago. Now he's the hottest producer in the world.

Katy Perry was signed and dropped two or three times, was couch surfing and living out of her car for a while, then finally got her break with "I kissed a girl."

I'm not saying it's going to happen for you (or that it's going to happen for me for that matter), but a lot of great talent takes time to blossom. Take a step back, recharge the batteries, and if you're still inspired to make music, keep going for it. It's only time to stop when you don't like making music anymore.

I was told on another forum that my stuff "was the whackest I've ever heard" and "your music sucks, leave now". But to me, those two are nobody's and I havent let that affect the fact that I love making music, no matter what others think.

LOL at too old.

This place never fails to make my shake my head at the stupidity I see.

Was Rick Rubin to old when he produced 99 Problems?

This isn't like performing out on stage, nobody cares who made the beat.

People still nodded their heads just the same to 99 Problems as if it were a Lex Luger track.

I'm tired of convincing people to keep at it though, if you don't want to anymore than don't.

Stop looking online like somebody is gonna give you the key to success.

You're a big boy, I'm sure you know what you're doing wrong and what you're doing right.

try sending your tracks to indie record labels google and send google and send ............that's my plan till my own label gets going in 2013 so for two years I'll be using that money to buy the equipment I need and save up my the $12,000 I need to launch my first complilation album w/all the bells and whistles of promo......I'm getting 20 very polished beats ready now

Back