I'm kind off confused help me please

kamby0

Hello guys. It's me again I'm about to upload my first beat 4 sale on youtube but I'm kind off confused I was listening to some beats and I saw a comment : "How much for exclusive rights? How much for lease? etc." Can someone explain me what's the difference between lease and exclusive? English in not my main language so maybe thats why I dont understand the differences :D

lease means they rent the track for a specified number of sales and no more

exclusive means they rent the track for an infinite number of sales (or the exclusive right to use for sales at a given fee per unit of sales (could be 100's, could be 1000's)

in both cases no other rights are sold or given away unless the seller chooses to do so - i.e. all royalties due to, and the right to be known as, the composer remain with the seller unless they choose to sell/give away those rights as well

Last edited:
The definition of exclusive rights that I've mostly encountered in the scene (not the beatmaking scene, but the template creation/samples scene), means that they buy the full rights of the material, meaning you're not allowed to sell it anymore and have to remove it once they've bought it. If you sell exclusive rights, make sure you require a lot of money (for instance the salesprice x 40), at least that's how it works for templates/samples, could be very different with beats.

^^^ I agree totally with your recommendations

- I usually add an extra 0 or even two 00's to the price if it becomes a case of exclusivity

- if they want to take all rights then we add at least another 0 if not two again to compensate for all foregone future income due to selling off all rights

^^^ I agree totally with your recommendations

- I usually add an extra 0 or even two 00's to the price if it becomes a case of exclusivity

- if they want to take all rights then we add at least another 0 if not two again to compensate for all foregone future income due to selling off all rights

Precisely my thought.
When you buy full rights, you are expected to compensate future income losses for the distributor, hence the major pricing increase.
However you should take some time and map the beatmaker market so you get an idea of how much you should charge for exclusive beats, I only know how it works for templates/samples/presets/etc.

Back