Idk what I’m doing

James89

Hi I’m James. I started wanting to be a producer when I saw an Instagram ad about LA recording school. It looked fun. I’ve always been really into music. It’s my life. But instead of spending an arm and a leg going to a trade school, (already did that) I wanted to teach myself music production. So I got a midi keyboard and a daw. But idk how to tweak sounds to get them how I want them to sound. I also don’t know how to compose a whole beat. I just do little riffs. Any advice? Sorry in advance if there’s already a thread on this; I’m a newbie.

Just stick around and keep reading. Ask (specific) questions as they come up.

Search through the various production-oriented threads. Listen to a lot of music.

I'm not sure if you have any background as a musician, but it would help. I will suggest a couple of books though. I'm not sure if they're both still in-print; you'll have to do a search.

* The Synthesizer Cookbook

https://www.amazon.com/Welshs-Synthesizer-Cookbook-Programming-Universal/dp/B000ERHA4S

* Rock Arranging (don't worry about the "Rock" title; the principles apply across the board)

https://www.amazon.com/Billboard-Book-Rock-Arranging/dp/0823075370

(I guess you can still get them one way or the other, as evidenced by the links above; search already done for you!).

Enjoy the journey...

GJ

theres a lot to learn buddy. but thats okay we have all been there. there really isnt a best place to start. you kind of just have to dive in to tutorials and forums and take baby steps. dont go to a school, all the knowledge you need is on the internet. i learned that the hard way. but maybe thats just my preference.

some great advice i was given at first was quantity over quality. and that seems strange and counter intuitive but it really is the best thing at first. i would say try and make 5 beats a day. even if its just a 4 bar loop, thats okay. take baby step. then start a whole new song entirely, but this time maybe add a bass or a melody. the point is to flex this new creative muscle you are now developing. i promise this will help you.

also have fun and experiment. dont be afraid to fail, because trust me you will here and there. A master is someone who has made every mistake. try and make some weird wonky nonsense music just for the sake of experimenting. then its no stress at all and its okay to fail and you will more then likely learn a lot from that one session alone. i sure did.
I really enjoy this synthesizer called Serum its pretty popular and for good reason. its the perfect starter synth and many of the pros today use it. its fucking great! it costs a bit of coin, but if you are serious about wanting to make music, its a good starting point. and you can make payments.

i hope this helped a little, good luck my dude.

Love - Calectic

Hi I’m James. I started wanting to be a producer when I saw an Instagram ad about LA recording school. It looked fun. I’ve always been really into music. It’s my life. But instead of spending an arm and a leg going to a trade school, (already did that) I wanted to teach myself music production. So I got a midi keyboard and a daw. But idk how to tweak sounds to get them how I want them to sound. I also don’t know how to compose a whole beat. I just do little riffs. Any advice? Sorry in advance if there’s already a thread on this; I’m a newbie.

It would help to know more about the type of sounds or sound files your working with. Tell us more about your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). What are you using? What kind of music do you hope to producer? I don't blame you for not wanting to go to trade school. It's expensive and beat making is something you learn on your own. It would be easier if you could find a people to make music with, who wither live near by or can with with you from a distance.

theres a lot to learn buddy. but thats okay we have all been there. there really isnt a best place to start. you kind of just have to dive in to tutorials and forums and take baby steps. dont go to a school, all the knowledge you need is on the internet. i learned that the hard way. but maybe thats just my preference.

some great advice i was given at first was quantity over quality. and that seems strange and counter intuitive but it really is the best thing at first. i would say try and make 5 beats a day. even if its just a 4 bar loop, thats okay. take baby step. then start a whole new song entirely, but this time maybe add a bass or a melody. the point is to flex this new creative muscle you are now developing. i promise this will help you.

Note: Sorry not trying to troll you here, but this strange to me, why do you keep saying it? I would this is most important to complete the works you start, all off them; even the ones you don't like. I here it often, although I can't recall where I first heard this, but couldn't grasp it's concept. Completing your work forces you to develop a solid workflow and strategy. Rushing through the process causes you to overlook vital areas in production fundamentals. Attention to detail has always served us well.

The number of beats your make and store are a drect result of your complete, store and display your works.Why does the number of beats you have matter over the quality you put into the? I jusst don't get this, please help me understand. I may need to change my perspective on this, but need to understand where this idea comes from first. Everything else I can understand and agree with, especially Serum.

also have fun and experiment. dont be afraid to fail, because trust me you will here and there. A master is someone who has made every mistake. try and make some weird wonky nonsense music just for the sake of experimenting. then its no stress at all and its okay to fail and you will more then likely learn a lot from that one session alone. i sure did.
I really enjoy this synthesizer called Serum its pretty popular and for good reason. its the perfect starter synth and many of the pros today use it. its fucking great! it costs a bit of coin, but if you are serious about wanting to make music, its a good starting point. and you can make payments.

i hope this helped a little, good luck my dude.

Love - Calectic

I find when it comes to being a successful producer you have to focus on time and structure of a beat. You should know who or what you are producing for.
For example, if you are producing for a rapper, you should know the music artist needs a section in the beat for a verse or 2, give them a sound for their hook, and perhaps a bridge within the mix.

Some artist might not have a hook for their vocal recording, but a lot of times, that depends on how FIRE the producers loop is.
if your making the right riffs, then you are more then likely creating original melodies or samples. I would say your on the right path.
Look on youtube for EQ and Compressing tips and tricks. With this online community of builders, you can not go astray so long as you look to educate yourself and your consistently creating new sounds!

I hope this made sense.

Back