An idea for fun and knowledge

F

fitz

I am sitting here being particularly lazy and uncreative at the moment and had a great idea. Or at least I think it's great :)

Let's pick a song either by one of the artists on this site or even a top40 song and have a bunch of us remix it. Not just for the fun of remixing but as each producer goes through the process of remixing he or she can post to a thread on this board with what he is exactly doing (with audio examples). This way we all benefit from each other's knowledge, tricks, and production tricks. Not to mention we get to see what different pieces of hardware do. Kind of like a "Diary of a Remix".

I can provide webspace if needed to house filesand such.

So if even one or two people besides me volunteer to do it I think it would be great. We just need to decide on a song.

Lame idea or no?

peace,

fitz

Last edited by a moderator:
i am in and i will provide server for everyone to do this on :) i have 1.2 megs sec adsl line up and down so speed id there....

Excellent Astral!

The more I think about it this is a good idea and I am looking forward to it.

Any ideas on a song? I'd kinda like to pull something from the top40 and then have each remixer mash it up into their fave genre.

We need something easy to remix as well with some exposed loops and vocals if possible.

I'm open to anything though.

fitz

the new jennifer lopez song is sooooooooo lush.
do that. i'd join in.. but i still havent set-up my studio although i finished decorating yesterday =).

Madonna's new single is ripe for a remix too. I think it's called "What it's like for girls" or something like that. Very "remixable"!

Any other takers? Any other idea's for songs?

I am going to strat remixing the Madonna song. If you want to do the same song or a different one it's no big deal. Will post more today...

later,

fitz

Haven't had much time in the last few days to remix anything. Here are some loops from the Madonna track. I have 20 more variations on these loops that I made using recycle and some made with the Yamaha A4000's "loop remix" feature. I will upload the rest after I get home from work.

3 loops

On a side note I went into the music store last night with the intention of getting an MPC2000xl but instead walked out with a Triton Rack. I needed a "bread and butter" unit and this thing is packed with features and is expandable as hell (8 slots). It even functions as a fairly well specified sampler. Anyway, maybe I'll post a review of it once I have explored it a bit.

peace,

fitz

No deadlines, no restrictions. The only rule will be to explain how you are doing everything so people can learn. You don't have to stick to the Madonna song either but I thought it would be cool to all remix the same song and see how many ideas we can come up with.

peace,
fitz

OK here are some variations on drmloop1.wav that was in the previously mentioned zip file.

11 Loop variations created with the A4000 sampler

I am putting together a webpage at

www.nex-level.com/fitz

I will put all the files and document how I am doing certain the things you are listening to.

P.S.

I am no awesome remixer so don't complain if the song sounds like ***. hehe

i just want people to realize how different equipment is used and what techniques people use to remix.

I gotta go make a bassline...........

peace,

fitz

Back