I try to make beats

flypaki

I try to make beats, and find it difficult to make a beat. Any advice, all i use is fruity looops and i have adobe which i rarley, could that be the problem, my lack of hardware?

Also i would like to know for those producers how do you make a drum pattern without using a keyboard or an mpc. Alos any producers who do not use an mpc or a keyboard to make a beat using fruity loops. How do you do it? I find it hard and at time i get frustrated.

I will have the whole summar of to make and improve on my beats. Any producers out there read any books?

thanks

Hey, In beat im guessing your talking about the drum seq. Well I have an mpc and keyboard but I do all my drums in reason. (another computer program) I use the redrum what this is, is a module that holds the drum sounds and has its own seqencer (the bit were you put your notes) in it... So its all self contained, what you want (because you have no mpc or k,board) is a vsti similair to that im trying to think of some you could use but cant right now. anyone else maybe able to add. Second you defiantly need a midi keyboard of sorts to connect to your computer and trigger sounds you can even use it to hit out your drum seq. something like a radium 49 will get you started (its what i started with) if not you will have to draw everything in. I dont personally use FL but can help with everything else.

Let me know

Dan

I have a yamaha keyboard, it can be connected by a midi lead but were can i get midi lead from. Or a lead that connects a keyboard to the computer. I think i need a midi controller i think, which are a bit expensive.

If you have a Yamaha keyboard, you probally have a MIDI controller as long as it has Midi connections on it. If it's the newer keyboards, It's probally a USB port on the back which is probally to be used for USB-MIDI. In this case You just could plug the keyboard into the computer using USB. If not, as long as you have a MIDI port on the back of your keyboard (meaning it's not too old), Look for a Gameport or MIDI port on the back of your computer, or purchase a USB-to-MIDI cable (If you have the round MIDI connections on the back of your keyboard) and jut plug in the cable to your computer and Keyboard following the instructions on your cable for In/Out...
Peace
S II
Peace
S II

Yeah I have absolutely no hardware. But I like to use my typing keyboard for stuff in FL lol. Im planning to get an mpc soon tho. But yeah, just keep making beats. It usually takes me a whole day just to make one beat, but I think it's worth it :).

Don't worry about the hardware stuff, a lot of people on this site just have a PC and a keyboard and do fine with that. Just familiarise yourself with the equipment/software you do have, take the time to read the manual briefly so you know what's what and where to refer to if you need clarification.

There are also plenty of tutorials around the web and on youtube focussing on FL, check them out.

theres not much you cant do in FL with the know how...and to learn the best methods of implementation you gotta experiment and learn it for yourself. if you really cant get into FL after a while, try something else...

but its all the same though just a sketchbook for musical ideas...some artist need different sized pencils or felt tips...depends on the person and their preferences.

Its good to have something where you can arrange and mix quickly in my opinion...thats why i still use Acid/FL, partly because I know them well and have developed mky own way of using them.

But I also like a lot of humanising so my recording setup and my ASR, s950 and other stuff...they all serve their own purpose.

use everything you can get your hands on...

neverenoughfunk said:
making beats is not for everyone.

What he said and it takes inspiration, which can be triggered by interacting...you don't absolutely have to finish the beat when you start it; stop, save, and go out or something: you'd be surprised how different a sound from a car driving towards you is, as opposed to when you are right there... it could influence you to add somethign to complete your sound... if it's samples, they are pretty much up to your imagination and what you want to hear come out of the monitors...

frenchidaurbanpoet said:
What he said and it takes inspiration, which can be triggered by interacting...you don't absolutely have to finish the beat when you start it; stop, save, and go out or something: you'd be surprised how different a sound from a car driving towards you is, as opposed to when you are right there... it could influence you to add somethign to complete your sound... if it's samples, they are pretty much up to your imagination and what you want to hear come out of the monitors...

i do not care what you say, making music takes skillz. anyone could take a sample, loop it in recycle and add drums (especially, in fl studio with the step sequncer) but making "good" music takes skillz.

why does everyone short change the skills aspect in making music.

another question, if individuals are so musical why start making music when 15, 16 or 17? i ask this because i can not remember when i did not make music.

making music is not for everyone. just like football, soccer, basketball, education (having study skillz), whatever is not for everyone.

so, i want to brake the world record in the 100 yard dash, what you are saying is that "inspiration" will do the job?

please.

p.s. i am not putting fl studio down but with music "some have it, some dont, some will get it and wont"

frenchidaurbanpoet said:
Nope, but i'm saying that if you willing to put in the time, then you do get somewhere

what does that mean?

if i put time into braking the worlds record in the 100 yard dash i will do it?

Spend more time listening to the music you like. Study it. If you cant make a halfway decent beat with what you have, no amount of hardware is gonna do you any better. I'd have to agree with the comment that not everyone can do it. Just keep trying man, I do believe that if you want it enough, you can make it happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
djba$$ay2k5 said:
could it be that you have producers block?

or do you really KNOW the software you are usin?

what is a producer block?

you can't write a beat, song, number 1 hit or what?

why not practice?

-lay down a simple groove and add a bassline.

-lay down a simple bassline and add a groove.

-practice scales and/or circle of fifths/founths.

-practice leading tone exercises.

-lay down drums, bass, key and jam/solo over it.

-practice chopping/manipalating samples.

the problem is that there is no glory in practicing. you can put it on myspace or soundclick. i am personally tired of individual given themselfs the title of "producer" when they do not have skills or do not work on them.

it is not a must that one has to make a banger everytime he/she sits down to make music.

in my opinion producers block is something when there is a due date for a project and nothing is coming out therefore no due date no producers block. work on skills chord, scales, jamming/solo, programming synth, understanding your "tools" better.

there is nothing magical about making music, it takes skills.

individuals always use these BS excuse for not having skillz or not willing to work on there skills.

neverenoughfunk said:
what is a producer block?

you can't write a beat, song, number 1 hit or what?

why not practice?

-lay down a simple groove and add a bassline.

-lay down a simple bassline and add a groove.

-practice scales and/or circle of fifths/founths.

-practice leading tone exercises.

-lay down drums, bass, key and jam/solo over it.

-practice chopping/manipalating samples.

the problem is that there is no glory in practicing. you can put it on myspace or soundclick. i am personally tired of individual given themselfs the title of "producer" when they do not have skills or do not work on them.

it is not a must that one has to make a banger everytime he/she sits down to make music.

in my opinion producers block is something when there is a due date for a project and nothing is coming out therefore no due date no producers block. work on skills chord, scales, jamming/solo, programming synth, understanding your "tools" better.

there is nothing magical about making music, it takes skills.

individuals always use these BS excuse for not having skillz or not willing to work on there skills.

now what the hell are you talking about?

Back