I think I'm gonna give up on producing

Make beats as a hobby. Keep putting your stuff out there and if it happens it happens. I had one guy play a throwaway beat on sound cloud over 50 times (I assume he was free styling) and that to me was crazy. Don't stress too much, use it as a release from your day job.

Last edited:
Dont quit man.. But I would say instead of just sending beats to people, try finding local rappers around your area and work with them. Experiment in how how make beats and find new things that make the process exciting. Music is such a collaborative thing and you can't succeed on your own, so when nothing is happening go make something happen! There are so many people that do what you do so what can you do to be different?

I wouldn't say give up at all just look for some producers whose doing what you would like to do or where you would like to be, I am becoming more active on youtube and am not that big yet, so my content is relatable and will show you the process of growing but 3 years is nothing, I know people that have been at it for 10-20 years.

Yea 3 years is nothing I have been producing much longer than that, but I am not giving up. It is never supposed to be easy, just try a different route. Not terribly too different to your style though.

Usually takes self taught producers a year to get good.
Some universities will require you to study for 3 months.
If it takes longer, you simply had a lot of things to do.
Learning 2 daws at professional level should take you 2 years of full concentration.

I also recommend Ebook readers, they do a very good job of helping you along the way.
Kobo, nook color or Kindle paperwhite.

Last edited:
A cool place to hang out, online that is, is metapop.com. It is place where they host remix competition but it a good place to try and make connection and try and get your music out and about and ask advice. Worth trying.

Back