I think I'm gonna give up on producing

JeromeBeats

Been producing just over 3 years. I'm at the point where I have probably 150+ beats just sitting in a folder on my drive (that's not every beat I've made, just from last year or so when I started getting good) . I've started a youtube and soundcloud in recent months but no ones biting. I've sent out dozens upon dozens upon dozens of instrumental to artists big and small - nothing. I know Im just having a bad day, but I am very close to just giving up. Hell Im not even concerned with 'clout' or money or whatnot, just with having the opportunity to have ANY artist ride over ony of my instrumentals, but I now question why I put so much effort into this after my dead-end 9-5 office job if it's just a waste of time. This shits like a popularity contest.

Last edited:
Are you at Beatstars? If so, I'm in need of free tagless instrumentals for practice and I'll credit you in name for non commercial release. PM me for my handle.

Don't quit but reevaluate why you wanted to bother learning production and all it entails in the first place.

Last edited:
Are you at Beatstars? If so, I'm in need of free tagless instrumentals for practice and I'll credit you in name for non commercial release. PM me for my handle.

Don't quit but reevaluate why you wanted to bother learning production and all it entails in the first place.

I have a bit of a music background, having played piano and flute in high school band. I started producing mid-way through Uni when I struggled with depression. After a few years and gaining mentorship from engineers, I upped my mixes, and have been uploading to youtube and soundcloud consistently. Money doesn't even concern me much, just the validation from having rappers/artists enjoy my creative work so much that they're willing to hop on a track, but that just hasn't been the case. I've really been questioning myself, my future (I'm 24 and working a boring ass 9-5 office job), and what I should do with my life because this market is just too oversaturated too shine. Also don't even know if I'm making trash music or not....

Stay creative.

The #1 issue that folks like us run into is that no one knows we exist, lol ... So you gotta figure out how to let em know you exist.

If you can afford it, spend a few bucks a day advertising your youtube channel. I'm at the very beginnings of this strategy, and I'm still trying to figure out if it's worth it but I'm slowly starting to build a subscriber base.

The last thing you want to do is get discouraged. If you have a ton of music just sitting there, I would start to use it in editing together some videos to score. That will give you practice in another area of flexing that creative muscle. Use your music as a back catalog of film scores or licensing tracks like OGbama said.

Lol bruh if you're thinking of quitting just after 3 years than maybe its not what you really want to do. Some people been doing it 10 years plus still learning and trying to get on. You're saying recently just started putting them up on youtube and soundcloud, its gonna take time to build your brand. You can't just enjoy the vision you have of yourself on top of the mountain, you gotta enjoy the climb as well or when things don't go your way you're gonna feel like quitting.

Tbh, clout means nothing.
I'd say focus on making content people wanna listen to.
Spend days on songs instead of hours.
Learn more than the basics.
Consider a new platform that is convenient for xbox/ps/ pc users like Spotify.

Dont give up man it took Russ 9 years to get on but he stayed into his craft and build with him and his team. Never stop what you love doing.

it's tough, but i started in 2010 and have had doubts at times too. I've seen stuff happen for others with good marketing and others with just constant hard work at improving their sound.

You can always continue making beats for fun as a hobby, no need to have the pressure to sell them, when you do it for yourself is when it's the best.

Im so new to this proper, isnt it about networking? getting your beats infront of people just starting to feel that as an issue myself, im learning to rap so that will be interesting rapping over my beats, cause they weird lol.

I hope you find the enjoyment in it as a hobby and just enjoy growing and learning in and of itself :)

Man it's real sad to hear a fellow producer contemplating quitting. You are spot on with the popularity aspect though, i dont know what genre you produce but they all have favourites and uknown or lesser known artists dont get a look in. I have been producing for 3 years and i havent made an impact on SC or anywhere else. Exposure is the biggest and hardest battle us upcoming producers face. The best way to tackle this so im told is, networking... a lot. Thats why i've joined here, to network, make producer friends, collab etc. Please man, don't give up. Be a tragic waste of thousands of hours of hardwork to pack it in now. Keep doing what you love mate, network well and in time, you will get there!

I really appreciate this everyone. Been a real depressing couple weeks (haven't finished a beat in a month now) but I guess I gotta push on.

Back