I just had the craziest night of my life...Now I need some help!

ayaobriggsy30

So I just got back from Atlantic City...After playing blackjack for like 20 hours, I finally cashed out for a ton of money. I already have behringer monitors, a decent m-audio midi controller, and reason 3.0. I'm looking to spend 5k and would like some suggestions on what I should get. Help me out?!

Reason 4.0
Fl studio
A apogee interface
Acoutic treatment
Better monitors
A new comp.
Anything left over can be sent to obi.....just playing......unless you'll do it.

Get rid of the Behringer monitors...their quality has always been a bit suspect. I use their DJ Mixer for sampling but I'd never rely on their monitor sound quality. Just my opinion though.

Screw "the best monitors" man. Mix on what you're used to and then reference that on different systems that you're familiar with. I got a pair of monitors for $700 that I don't even use-I just stick with my old ass $300 Logitech 5.1 computer speakers cuz that's what I've been listening to music on for years.

I feel where you're coming from, but he asked what he should his spend some newfound cash on and IMO monitors are always a great investments. I'm not really one to be stuck on price at all, I personally use the M-Audio BX5A's (300 bucks).

get rid of the behringers and get sum krks then get reason4.0 tons of samples,get a neumann mic,avalon pre aand a good waves bundle oh yeah gut sum acoustic treatment hope this helps

I would not want to suggest something you do not need. My first question would be, what are you trying to do musically?

1. Are you just composing and making music? or do you plan to record?

2. If you plan to record, are you just doing vocals or are you recording a 5-person band, etc...?

3. If you are planning to record, how many people are you going to record simultaneously?

4. If you are not really going to be recording, and you plan to just make music, what kind of music are you focused on?

Some more questions to ask yourself, and then share with us...

Do I need drumloops? Do I need one-shot sounds?

Do I need an array of different synthesizers?

Do I need a virtual instruments that specializes and mimics a particular (retro)instrument?

Should I be looking for a all-in-one solution, or purchase things in pieces to suit my own needs?

Questions like that and more are essential to know in order for any of us to make a solid suggestion. I would not want to even suggest anything to someone without feeling confident that I am helping them get what they really want and need.

$5000.00 is a lot of money even to the wealthy, and even the wealthy have interest in maximizing their investment.

Many people on here do this as a hobby, or career or a learning experience, or some other reason...but to some degree, they all invest in music with time and usually money.

After I find out more, I will give you a detailed suggestion if you are still interested.

buy the "big three" racks
a power pc/mac
kontakt/sampletank/reason and some extended samples/refills
a good interface/soundcard
DAW/sequencer of choice
piano lessons

if you cant make hits.... give all it to me :)

neumann mic, definitely a neumann mic. anything else is optional. just get a neumann mic and pin it up on your wall so you can be like "yeah... i gots me a NEUMANN" ..... NEUMANN wtf i don't even have a neumann mic. In all seriousness, get some criticism of your music, and then what people think is lacking (mixing? lack of original sounds? too clean? too raw?), and of course, what you think is lacking, buy something that will assist that so you can progress as a musician and a producer. Or, by a kickass instrument, like a cello or a violin. Violins are sooo badass.

I reccommend that you research each pieces of equipment...from what type of program you use to what kind of monitors....etc...Its all about Engineering Know How....Straight Up...

All that What kind of this and that is really unneccessary money spunt....You dont gotta have the best equipment to make the best music....

Like for instance...A 3,000 dollar neumann mic is useless if you dont understand the cleverness of Mic Placement....also all montiors have flaws....so just choose a pair and master those....before upgrading to some better Monitors...

Take yo time....study up on shyt...resist following what every body else is using and find yo self in the Music Game...meaning be a leader not a follower....Real Talk..

This Music Shyt Is Only Hard As You Make It...Pimp...Stay Up...

BKster....

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr.Bytch Killa said:
I reccommend that you research each pieces of equipment...from what type of program you use to what kind of monitors....etc...Its all about Engineering Know How....Straight Up...

All that What kind of this and that is really unneccessary money spunt....You dont gotta have the best equipment to make the best music....

Like for instance...A 3,000 dollar neumann mic is useless if you dont understand the cleverness of Mic Placement....also all montiors have flaws....so just choose a pair and master those....before upgrading to some better Monitors...

Take yo time....study up on shyt...resist following what every body else is using and find yo self in the Music Game...meaning be a leader not a follower....Real Talk..

This Music Shyt Is Only Hard As You Make It...Pimp...Stay Up...

BKster....
Co-sign

Like I mentioned in my post up top, you need to know where you want to go, once you know where you want to go, you can start figuring out how to get there. The place you "get to" does not mean a physical location, but more like a point of success you have set for yourself.

"If you do not care where you are going, any road will get you there"

Obitheincredible said:
...Fl studio
A apogee interface

these dont mix well - apogee interfaces only work on macs and FL studio only works on PCs (unless you run windows on your mac)

Man.. you are lucky! Congratulations! :cheers:

Hmm.. i would buy
- a rompler (motif, fantom)
- a sampler (mv 8800, mpc 2500/4000)
- a analog synth (dave smith, moog)
- a control surface (mackie mcu pro, m-audio projectmix)
- some good preamp and outboard fx / filters
- very good headphones (akg, etc.. studio line)

But that's just me.. i am a composer.

What music do you want to make?

Given that you don't own any of those yet you are free to trial anything until you've found your weapon of choice. My top priority would be to find my centerpiece first.. then look for gear that compliments.

I would just spent the money on stuff that appeal to me and care later about the details. You can return the items within 30 days on most retailers (money back garranty). So just cop them, try them and then decide.

My shops here even suggest me to do so and offer that they will take it back, no matter what, if i am not happy with it.

have fun! :angel:

Grab a PS3 and GTA4 like I did last week. That will take care of some of that money.

Back