I just don't get publishing..

PRboyz

It seem like the more I read about it the more confusing it get.
Can someone please help me understand what exactly is publishing, and how is shared in simple terms?

Your songs are published as soon as they are exploited and made available for public listening. If you put your song on a CD and give it to the radio station or night club and they play it, that will constitute publishing. You get publishing royalties from air play, tv play, club play etc. but you have to be registered with a performance rights organization (ASCAP, BMI etc.) it order to receive any royalties. You do not have to have a publisher to have your songs published. You can publish your own songs. All that a publisher does is getting people to sing your songs. If you can do that you can be a publisher. If you don't have a publisher and you register with BMI you can get your share of the publishing (writer usually gets 50%) and the publisher's share (50%). If you want to be a publisher for others you can register as a publisher for a one time sign up fee of about $150. If you do that and exploit other peoples songs you can set yourself up to have huge paydays down the road. Hope you understood.

Mr.Curlz said:
Your songs are published as soon as they are exploited...

heh. i think exploited is the most perfect word to describe this process in the music production business. kudos

:cheers:

Mr.Curlz said:
You do not have to have a publisher to have your songs published. You can publish your own songs. All that a publisher does is getting people to sing your songs. If you can do that you can be a publisher.
Publishers do more than this. A good publisher finds ways for your songs to generate income, through licensing. A good publisher will look for commercials, movies, and tv shows to license your songs to. If you are a songwriter, they will find people to perform your music, or buy your music. You, as an artist will 1. Not have access to the people that a publisher has access to, and 2. Won't have the time to track all these resources down, and still concentrate on making good music. So, don't sleep on the role of a "good" publisher.

So where do I find a publisher?

I dont know where to look. Most I have seen are focused on helping bands and artists. Do yu guys know any that work with tracks and intrumentals?

Holla back

Big Mercy

So, the songwriter get 50% and the publisher(ex.BMI)get 50% royalty?
So if I was to publish my own material, and I am the songwriter does that mean that I get 100%?

Last, but not least..how is the publishing royalty calculated, and does publishing only count for the songwriter?
What about the producer who composed the music?

PRboyz said:
So, the songwriter get 50% and the publisher(ex.BMI)get 50% royalty?
So if I was to publish my own material, and I am the songwriter does that mean that I get 100%?

Last, but not least..how is the publishing royalty calculated, and does publishing only count for the songwriter?
What about the producer who composed the music?

BMI is not a publisher. BMI is a performance rights organization that collects the money and pays it over to the publisher and artist.

With BMI, if you don't have a publisher, you can get the publishers share as well i.e 100%

Read here for info. on how royalties are calculated. The composer of the music is listed as co-writer of the song if he didn't work for hire or didn't give away his copyright. Thus, the composer of the music gets a portion of the publishing royalty.

so ur saying that composers/writers dont really need to have a publisher if we can get our songs played on certain mediums then we could still get royalties...right? but its good to have a publisher cause they are like the "salesman" that actually make u money... is that right?

FIX said:
so ur saying that composers/writers dont really need to have a publisher if we can get our songs played on certain mediums then we could still get royalties...right? but its good to have a publisher cause they are like the "salesman" that actually make u money... is that right?

They don't 'sell' your music to radio or t.v. They try to exploit your work i.e get people to sing it or license it for commercials and everything Ike said before. It's your label that gets it played on certain mediums. A lot of artists who write their own music do their own publishing. But you have to be registered with a P.R.O such as ASCAP to get your royalties.

Back