Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am not good enough , I wonder will I ever be

Thanks

Unhappy I am not good enough , I wonder will I ever be

Sign in to disable this ad
    I love music , i love the whole concept , the idea , the concept of creating something new and extraordinary .
    i look around me and see thousands of talented producer each one more talented than the other , make you wonder . what is so special about you ?
    my kicks are meh , sounds are meh , arrangement is meh , creativity is meh , the overall feel is meh ,
    i guess ill just be a meh all my life :c

good luck to you all , you are all killing it !

Thanks
    Don't get discouraged! It's all down to learning skills and maturing. I'm 55 and still improving my skills and my musicality.

For sounds... a good way to improve kicks and, well, almost anything, is to apply some compression. It can really make sounds come forward in the mix, with more body and strength, without peaking. There are plenty of good, free, musical compressor plugins out there, such as TDR Kotelnikov. Other tools like transient shaping can help with drums. Also, watch some YouTube videos on EQ and train your ears to hear what EQ does and how it can help with sound. For example, if you use compression on too many things, it can get congested in the mix, so you'd use EQ to scoop some frequencies out of some of the sounds to create more space for other sounds in the mix. And an overall multi-band compressor on the mix bus can help your whole mix gel together and have some punch to it.

Arrangements are hard. But I've found that working on transitions can really drive an arrangement forward, such as a drum fill just before a transition point, or a swelling reverse cymbal or even just a single snare hit on beat 4 can work magic going into a section with drums.

As for creativity, in my experience it comes and goes naturally. I'm mostly a hobbyist for music creation, so I'm not required to slave over a DAW, Typically I find that I'll create several cool things, then there may be a whole year when I'm simply not feeling it.

Getting a feel for chords and harmonies is valuable too. There's an awful lot of electronic music around that does nothing more than cycle around 4 chords, or two chords, or even (yuck!) just stays on one chord. IMO, the ear gets tired of too long without harmonic interest.

But, in general, the more of it you do, the better your technical skills will become. And with better technical skills, the creative/expressive/musical flow is less hindered by figuring out how to do stuff.

Thanks
    Don't be so hard on yourself HellBellSounds,

The simplest music is celebrated.

I actually just started, but I found this app that helps me pick my scales and guide my creativity.

Thanks
    Take pride in the small things dude? Instead of looking at the negatives look at the positives, at least you're working on it?

Thanks
    U can do it!

Thanks
    Layer, compression, leave headroom, lp/hp filter EACH sample to cut out freqs you donít want, leave headroom, leave headroom.

Thanks
    And focus on one skill at a time in your learning. The compression aspect as suggested here is a good start point.

I find most bands / artists / DJs are known for that singular thing that's really good. The other stuff fills in the gaps so to speak. Focus on a thick kick that BOOMs and no one will notice (or care) that your hi-hats are a little predictable. Focus your learning on a few things and not feel overwhelmed and you'll get there! You WILL get there if you care which you obviously do.

Thanks
    Just keep working on the beats, its not really a race. Look at beat making like a career. I go through the same stuff, like one week I'll feel like my beats are fire and the next I'm like this is trash.

Just keep the grind up fam, keep getting feedback, listen to tons of music, take time off.

Thanks
    Take your time, but remember...it's never too early to go to school for music.
    Or at the very least, buy an ereader.

Thanks

Red face

Never say never, keep working and perhaps more importantly, keep seriously believing!

Thread Information