Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How you do music?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    You could also start by purchasing sample packs that come with license clearances; most do. Build your sample pack library instead of watch youtube. The funniest thing that happens when trying to learn from videos is that you are skipping around from video to video. It's essential to practice what you see. Therefore, start using Ableton sample packs from producers with more skill than you.

Brought to you by IndieHost

Thanks
    Yeah I got bored pretty quick with precice imitations and started adding my own little tweaks and details. So it really in the end starts feeling like creating your own original music.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Em Josh View Post
    Yeah I got bored pretty quick with precice imitations and started adding my own little tweaks and details. So it really in the end starts feeling like creating your own original music.
    This is the normal way of things. YouTube won't block you for using sample packs. Get your library up.

Brought to you by IndieHost

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Em Josh View Post
    Just want to add one thing that really helped me understand music production/composition on a totally new level, maybe not on your level just yet. But that is to copy. For almost a year, I went through a phase of just making precise copies of songs that I liked. DIY Karaoke versions one could say. Anyway, the results weren't very good, actually, they were terrible, but it taught me to listen to *every* little detail in a song. I started to hear elements I had never heard before, I also started to get an understanding of how a song should be arranged amongst other things. I can't recomend it enough to newer producers, it doesn't matter what the final product sounds like, as long as you try your very best and try new things every time, you're gonna improve.
    Another way if you a bit lazy is download a free midi file of the song your wish to emulate.
    Generally these are close but no cigar.
    The person who submits it may be terrible and the resulting track is nothing like the original.
    At best you will get something that sounds close enough but has glaring errors all the way through.

And this is why they are so good to work with.
    You have to start by trying to work out what sounds each part should be playing and then edit or rerecord the parts that are wrong. usually the drums are basically doing the right thing but lack finesse.
    But spending a day on one of these you have no excuse for it not to be 95% accurate of the original.

Thanks
    Do you play any instrument?

This is how I started: I used to sit in the piano and learn a few songs, whatever you like, Debussy or High School Musical, it doesnt matter. Then I started to change the songs like, I would prefer this one octave higher or add a little trill... then I learnt a few songs to sing along and this way I started to learn the chords and, eventually I was improvising different melodies. Lets say you stick to a chord progression (Am, F, C, G) and you start singing any pop song that you like. Then you can actually try to change the melody, create different voices for backing vocals is a good way to start improvising (if you don't sing just use your right hand or whatever in your instrument) This might sound stupid but that is how I actually learnt to create melodies and the basis of music theory.
    Once you learn the basis then start to record things in your daw. Finally learn some music theory (I just played the piano until my fingers knew where to go, I prefer this than the actual theory, but the theory is easy as well) Learn more chords to enrich your sounds (you will get bored from the Am, F, C, G quite fast), copy weird chord progressions from songs that you like, then learn a few scales, modes... (i really like dorian and lydian mode, I use them a lot for my soundtracks)... This is how I learnt.

I know there are some people that compose music as if it was lego with samples and loops, but I hate that because you will never be free and truly creative, that is just my opinion.

Thanks
    Books

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Liianna View Post
    Do you play any instrument?

This is how I started: I used to sit in the piano and learn a few songs, whatever you like, Debussy or High School Musical, it doesnt matter. Then I started to change the songs like, I would prefer this one octave higher or add a little trill... then I learnt a few songs to sing along and this way I started to learn the chords and, eventually I was improvising different melodies. Lets say you stick to a chord progression (Am, F, C, G) and you start singing any pop song that you like. Then you can actually try to change the melody, create different voices for backing vocals is a good way to start improvising (if you don't sing just use your right hand or whatever in your instrument) This might sound stupid but that is how I actually learnt to create melodies and the basis of music theory.
    Once you learn the basis then start to record things in your daw. Finally learn some music theory (I just played the piano until my fingers knew where to go, I prefer this than the actual theory, but the theory is easy as well) Learn more chords to enrich your sounds (you will get bored from the Am, F, C, G quite fast), copy weird chord progressions from songs that you like, then learn a few scales, modes... (i really like dorian and lydian mode, I use them a lot for my soundtracks)... This is how I learnt.

I know there are some people that compose music as if it was lego with samples and loops, but I hate that because you will never be free and truly creative, that is just my opinion.
    I play classical guitar (and synth a little bit), and make my own samples and play with them in FL
    Last edited by Erica_L; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:14 PM.

Thanks
    learn drums and/or music theory

understand how music is structured & arranged

tempos, time signatures, key signatures, chords etc.

everything begins to make more sense as you keep learning new things - which never stops!
    Last edited by Charade; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Get a piano and learn rhythm, don't watch tutorials unless its for a technical purpose. If you really want this you are going to spending many years doing this so don't rush, practice and have fun.

Thanks
    Hi!
    For answer you I'll just say that I make music by feel, I also watch tutorials but for the melodic and composing part I like to sit at the keyboard doing random stuff with everything plugged in ready to record, I do a little improvvisation and then if I like what I end up with I start arranging things.
    I think that is important to set some short-term goals about musical and technical knowledge and always experiment what you learn on the next track. After lots of tries you will see that everything starts to became more understandable and easier to manage.
    Good luck!

Thread Information