HOW is the YAMAHA 01v Mixer??!!!

KINOUX

I am about to purchase a Yamaha O1v mixer(not version 2) and just wanna have some final reviews of others. I hpersonally heard both good and bad reviews. More good though. but the bad ones say they make the sounds thinner and stuff like that. I definitely do not want that to happen.
so.... What do you guys think. Also if there is a better digital mixer ranging from 1500-2300, plezzzz let me know :)

Thnx guys appreciate it & respect

Everyone has a different view of what they want from a mixer. I want the same sound I put into it or better to come out of it and into a DAW. That being said I had a O1V for two years and never liked it. It's makes your sound very cold and brittle. The EQ was okay, and the compression was pretty good but when you compare it to other digital mixers it just can't compare. When it first came out it was the only game in town under $1,800, but times have changed. I do hear that the new version is great all though I've never mixed on it.

In that price range I would steer anyone to a Panasonic DA7. Hands down the best small format digital mixer the average person can afford. Excellent convertors, top end mic pres, and an EQ that you will not believe is digital. I've yet to hear a plug-in that sounds better than the compressors and EQ that come onboard the DA7. You can find them on Ebay for under $1,200 which is a steal since the board cost over $10,000 new w/options and the board runs at 24bit...the O1V is 20bit. Check here for more info: http://da7.com/

Last edited:
$10,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
man thats way out of my range. I also checked ebay but they didn't have it.
The mixer definitely looks amazing but wow 10,000....

So I guess Yamaha 01v is risky?

its sooo hard to choose what to get!!!!
anyothers you know about??....

Thnx!!!!

No! lol They were $10,000 with all the options when they came out. You can get them used for no more than $1,500 now. Just keep checking Ebay until you find one. Took me 4 months but it's well worth it. Most guys won't let go of them so it's not that easy to track one down.

I had the 02r which is the bigger brother of the 01v and 03d. I mentioned in a couple of different posts that I didn't like it for recording but based on the experience of others I would be willing to say that maybe it was something I was doing.

I was listening to a few things I tracked through an 02r and the sound wasn't bad really, it just didn't work for me.

As for the eq and dynamics processors I liked them very much and I was happy with the results that I would get when I took tracks from the computer to the 02r and back to the computer. This all in the digital domain.

The 01v would probably be similar in sound.

With that said, I would still recommend a yamaha digital mixer. Many people seem to talk about the Tascam digital console but those are either hit or miss with many people.

The panasonic da7 gets a lot of praise usually and there's still alot of information out there available for it.

If you want computer integration you may want to look at the Yamaha 01x. It will work as a mixer, audio interface, and control surface also.

I have had a 01V for about 5 years.
I love it. I use it Pro Tools via a Digi001. It was hot back in the day, now it's not considered high quality. Although I understand the comments of the other folks here. It ain't the best, but clearly it is better than a lot of cheap computer based digital audio interfaces. I think the 01V96 is a big improvement, but I have to ask myself if the improvement is worth the cost to me and if I can re-coop that expense.

That said, I think you can do better than the 01V. But if you are spending the kind of money hat I think you may for it, it's a hell of a deal.

Peace.

WOW, thnx to all of you
great, smart comments!!!!
I was looking around a bit more about the mixers and came across the Yamaha MG series mixers. MAN GREAT REVIEWS on these mixers. Only thing is its analogue. Then I came across an article regarding the comparison of digital and analogue mixers. My studio is strictly digital, no live instruments and wat not. So Digital mixer would probably be the choice( I think). Am I wrong?? (Sorry not too familiar with technical stuff). But im planning to get a whole set of outboard effect racks and I over heard that analogue is better when it comes to outboard effects. (Is that right?)
So what you guys think?. Should I look into analogue by any chance??

Love any answers
Full respect :)

For your price range, I would get one of the higher end Yamaha Digital workstations!

Either a AW2816 or AW4416

I have an AW2816, and it has the same mixing engine as the 01V. Plus its a Digital Recorder.

Check it out at www.yamaha.com

Are you sure about that????
In musicians friend and sweetwater, it is priced at $2199

Really, it is!! Where did u see the 1600??

Hmmm?
I can't think of where or actually if I saw it.
Maybe I was wrong and I'm thinking of another product. But I thought that $2,199 is the manufacturer's list price. If that is the price, then you should be able to get it for less than that. However, since the dollar is falling, those old rules don't really apply.

I would keep searching, before you buy.

Peace.

Back