How to turn my room into a booth ?

O

OliverPractice

I'm getting a cheap vocal mic, tired of searchin online so I'll just get one somewhere localy, gonna spend about 130 $. It's purely for practice none songs recorded on it will be released.

But I don't want bad audi quality to kill my confidence so I'm aksing you to tell me what to do to my room to make it sound better, recently found out room is more important then the microphone itself, so what do I do to my room ? I got two options for rooms, as in the basement has a computer too or in my own room, what is better, how do I judge which room is better - do I need to check the type of walls or what ? Also can I really just plaster it with egg cartons or is that some myth I picked up wrongly ?

Last edited by a moderator:
there are all sorts of myths about using different types of materials for treatment - egg cartons were the big one in the 1970's and many a home practice room was decorated with them - did not do much, although you could argue that the dimples did act on diffusing high freq energy, though not much absorption is going on.

On to your main questions

room dimensions (H x W x L) and materials used on the walls floor and ceiling are good indicators of what else needs to be done: concrete/brick/cinder block walls will need diffusion treatment at points of first reflection more than most other types of materials, though all walls that are parallel should be treated for this. Bass traps can only be designed once dimensions are known and modes of resonance are identified:

Longtitudinal (along the mid axis of each dimension) - 3 modes of resonance one for each dimension H, W, L,

Tangential (along the meeting point of any two dimensions) - again 3 modes of resonance HW, HL, WL

Oblique (along the meeting point of all three dimensions - i.e corners) - 1 mode of resonance for each corner HWL

In total 7 modes of resonance that can impact on room frequency response and resonance at whole number multiples of the fundamental or bass resonances of each mode.

If you are referred to a vocal booth use the closet. Go to Wal-Mart and purchase a couple sheets of bed foam. Cover your closet with the foam to keeping the vocals from bounce around the closet. This will give a nice dry vocal and add the reverb in the mixing stage. That’s the best vocal booth on a budget.

If you are referred to a vocal booth use the closet. Go to Wal-Mart and purchase a couple sheets of bed foam. Cover your closet with the foam to keeping the vocals from bounce around the closet. This will give a nice dry vocal and add the reverb in the mixing stage. That’s the best vocal booth on a budget.

this is arrant nonsense - it will do nothing and probably end up being suffocating as well - bed foam aka mattress foam, has no absorptive or diffusive characteristics and will make for a ice padded cell, nothing more. this type of ghetto nonsense needs to be stamped out.

add to the above that you failed to recognise that the op was asking about treating the whole room and your answer is off-point as well.

---------- Post added at 01:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

some easy way to make some absorption panels

your heart is in the right place but making panels before we know what the problem frequencies are is pointless - you can't tune them once they are made (except to make them smaller thus addressing higher freqs only), you need to tune them as they are being made.

I suggest making a something like this

-Coach Antonio
My ebay Store

seems like I'll aks my uncle to help me make this. Skiming trough the video I couldn't comprehend it cause I ma a mega noob in things building a recording studio.

Looks like just making a box shaped construction and sticking on it "stuff" that well..... prevent the vocals to F up.

I'll first buy a mic, gave up on looking onilne, to annoying, I'll go to the city next to mine pic a vocal mic and preamp / audio interface and after that I'll make some type of vocal booth.

And thanks Bandcoach to for all your input.

I'll come back for more details when the time is right.

---------- Post added at 04:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:43 PM ----------

I'm setting this up to practice vocals, so it's not a live room or anything just for vocals.

dimensions? H x W x L then we can identify what needs fixing in terms of your room acoustic response

dimensions? H x W x L then we can identify what needs fixing in terms of your room acoustic response

If I construct the "box" above I don't think the rest of the room matters then ?

I suggest that you read this thread first and then come back and answer my questions

First I'm getting a vocal mic and interface then I'll coem back to read this information overload, simply cause I don't know much bout making a studio ect.

Back