How to tell the difference between Hi hat, Snare, Kick, etc

cybernaga595

Does anyone know of any good sites, where I can possibly hear the differences between all these types of drums [Drums, kicks, snares, hi hats, etc...]? Is there a general rule to how they sound? Does one suggest also that hip hop producers should know anything about real drums? I got an MPC2000XL and am trying ways to arrange my sounds more neatly; any help would be very much appreciated. Thanx in advance, and this is a great forum.....

If you are programming any instrument you have to know how its played in real life. For example, a drummer only has 2 arms and so there can only be 2 sounds heard at the same time. And it takes a bit of time to go from, say, a hi-hat to floor tom.

carnage...make that 3... you forgot the 3.

but i dont believe that we were given machiens and samplers so we could create beats that a live drummer can play

try to play with a sound software like Reason, Fruity loops or Cubase or whatever. I think you can probably download a demo version for free. Then you'll be able to hear what a Snare sounds like, a Kick drum, a Cymbal etc...

A drummer can have many hits at the same time.
1. Left foot - kick (possibiltiy of a double-kick)
2. Right foot - hi-hat (check out 95% of jazz, which is an open to closed hi-hat on beats 2 and 4)
3. right hand - cymbals or hi-hat or toms (usually)
4. left hand - snare (usually, sometimes toms or cymbals)
5. Many drummers put a shaker on their hi-hat, so they get an additional multi-sound instrument on top of that.

Then, many bands have an auxillary percussionist. They generally play 2 to 8 drums, usually congas, bongos, shakers, bells, etc.

So, I wouldn't worry about the number of drums if I were you. You should study a drumkit, though, so you can think of where to place things in your stereo field.

Excentric

Yes yes yes. I was wrong (because I was so very hungover), but the point I was making is that they only have 2 hands which you have to bear in mind when programming.

True, the good thing about samplers etc. is that we can make sounds that drummers cant physically play. But if you are programming because you dont have a drummer (which you want) then you have to take into considerartion how what you want to be played would be played.

Back