How Old is TOO OLD ? ( answer for both producer and mc )

i don't think there is an age limit on producers, I mean, Dr Dre is almost 40, and Premo is turning 40 this year, it all comes down to the music, and if you are able to realte to both the ever-constant changing trends and fanbase. Look at emcees such as Busta, Snoop Dog, Devin the Dude,Dre, jay, Em, Common, Scarface, Rev. Run, Three 6 mafia, David banner, UGk, 8ball & MJG, Bone Thugs, and so on who have managed to stay relevant despite their respective ages. simply put, as long as the music's banging, who the f--- cares?!:victory:

In my opinion, a producer should call it quits at about the retirement age. He can produce for fun, but his job title should be "retired" or "veteran". Rappers... Since I'm just a teen, I don't wanna hear somebody rapping who is old enough to be my great-grandpa. The legends like Africa Bambatta (did I spell that right?: you get the point)... Now... I like to hear them rap, but if you just starting off. HELL NAW! You should have tried that fifty years ago. A fifty plus rapper is not going to be able to relate to me unless he was one of the founders of rap... Real talk. People coming out of retirement... I don't know about that. I was kind of funny when Jay-Z popped up saying he was coming out of retirement to make another CD. If you are going to retire, retire. That's what the word means. Get cha ass out and stay out. Real talk. Don't be popping up like daisies like it's another season. Your season passed when you decided to retire. Am I right?

Their is never an age limit for Creating Music its the person and the Vibe he feels i think that somone that is 90 could make killer beats if he had a passion and a Vibe to do it.

That is sooooo sad - hip hop used to be about what was happening in the world and now it seems it is about an image . It is really sad to see something with so much potential has become about as relevant as pop music .

I am sure people will be still listening to modern hip pop like they isten to the RnB and such of old like Smokey , Marvin , The Manhattans , etc . (sarcasm)

The response to this thread sums up the sad current state of hip "hop" and its bleak future .

erbium said:
That is sooooo sad - hip hop used to be about what was happening in the world and now it seems it is about an image.
It doesn't just *seem* to be about image, that's everything it IS about right now.
I can't identify myself with modern (popular) Hiphop nomore, unlike back in the days. Maybe I'm just too old though. ^^

Last edited:
evolution - to evolve, to change , to advance

hip hop - is and will always be evolving

you can roll with the punches, or go the way of the dinosaur

with that being said as long as you can make good music your never too old!

[edited out for the sake of avoiding flamewars in this thread]

Last edited:
I think you can keep going as long as you keep updating your material so that you are relevant to your fan base - your fans grow older every year too.

It depends on how big you want to get.

Honestly, if you're over 30, you're never going to come out of nowhere and sell multi-platinum top-40/mainstream **** - the audience just won't buy it.

theres no limit as far as producers. you learn new things everyday. by the time dr dre hits 50 he should be even better.

i am looking into the future when i can tell my kids and grandkids in 40 years that aesop rock and qwel are still performing from time to time when im like 60-70 even if it's there old music that would be a huge thing in hip hop that in 50 years/ we probably wont even notice........

it is about attracting fans
i would listen to whomever i choose as long as they keep putting out fresh lyrics and fresh beats even over the course of fiddy years.
there are cats in jazz and rock that continuously make **** into there 60's 70's willie nelson, crosby stills nash young, BB the Kang
hip hop will be there soon, its only a matter of time

Last edited:
I Dont Think Their Should Be An Age Cutoff, Cuz Honestly If Their Was An Old Man Like 50 Something, He Would Probably Have Some Good Stories To Spit(if He Was Good)

Cuz Really...wouldnt You Still Listen To 2pac If He Was Around Til He Was 50?

ameoba said:
It depends on how big you want to get.

Honestly, if you're over 30, you're never going to come out of nowhere and sell multi-platinum top-40/mainstream **** - the audience just won't buy it.

Good Point. If the biggest buyers are in their teens and early twenties and you're old enough to be a parent, your audience is going to be wondering why that old fossil (that would be you at the ancient age of 31!) is talking about teen issues and not age appropriate issues. That's why I think you have to hang on to your fans and grow up as they do. Then you'll be looking at a long career.

trezza said:
Good Point. If the biggest buyers are in their teens and early twenties and you're old enough to be a parent, your audience is going to be wondering why that old fossil (that would be you at the ancient age of 31!) is talking about teen issues and not age appropriate issues. That's why I think you have to hang on to your fans and grow up as they do. Then you'll be looking at a long career.

Fortunately this means that Barbara Streisand isn't making new records - just putting on $500/seat concerts. ;)

Ghost produce for a kid...

make him a myspace page and everything...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back