How much should I charge for studio time?

RizzyB

RizzyMac
So I have finally added a home made vocal booth. It is by all mean NOT a professional setting but does yield reasonably good vocals for any track.

My question is how much should I charge my local rappers/singers to lay there vocals down in my studio? I have no experience in charging people for studio time. Ive been making beats for a few years now and ive recently gotten into recording vocals and what not.

So any advice is welcome guys thanks!

For me, As of right now Im in my room, So Im charging 10bucks an hour. Then depending on the beat the artist wants I might charge them for that aswell. Do/can you mix?? Will you be doing any mixing? Do they want any mixing done? Im not an idiot I know thats for the "Pros" but I can get some dope mix's. Gotta that things like that into consideration as well.

Over all charge what you think they'll pay, and whats worth your time!!

I def feel you on the mixing aspect. Im no pro when it comes to mixing but I have the nessesery knowledge to mix down all of my tracks to a high quality production in the end. So as far as mixing a beat for a artist im sure they would put any of my productions straight to there mixtape or album. So yea was thinking something like 10 - 20 an hour myself

Yeah thats what Im saying, No offense at all or intended(Cuz Ive never heard anything of your thus far) Your not a pro in a "real" studio are you? If not aint nobody gonna wanna pay more than 50-60 bucks for ONE hour?? Maybe if your in cali or hook-ups on artist with doe to waste! 10buck 20bucks an hour is almost robbing the producer/Enignneer(SP) ya dig. You make money..... may not be much but if you get the repeater that come back your looking at making some decent loot homie!

lol yea my "studio" is in my home and nowhere near that of a professionals official studio. What I have simpley gets the job done for an up n coming artist that wants good production for there mix tapes and/or albums.

Preciate the advice though!

charge about $10 to $20 a hour...(includes adjustment mix for listening)
charge for $10 for CD or DVD with the track outs of the session audio waves
and if you have Pro Tools include the Pro Tools session as well

for mixing you can charge from $50 to $75 depends on your skill
you can also charge to store their session per week
join discmakers studio partnership
and try to get the artist get their disc through them and you get checks in the mail.
check it out here CD / DVD Duplication, CD / DVD Replication, CD / DVD Duplicators, CD / DVD Printers, Blank CDs and DVDs look through the website

Dont stress, Im working in my parents house in my room. Im in the same situation so I feel ya on the whole what gets the job done thats how Im working it!!

Anytime homie that why were here!!

I paid $300 for 4 songs, probably took 10 hours or so. Could you make a mix better than this? That's what I paid for

Depends on what gear you're using and how it's setup. if the room looks decent and not like a bedroom (Use a futon instead of a bed or whatever, then unfold it when there aren't clients over.) then charge more. You'd be surprised how much atmosphere effects people and their willingness to come back again.

If your booth looks like crap and is covered in bed foam, charge less. More if you've got a good sized area with professional acoustic foam. If you're using a U87, charge more. Less if it's a Studio Projects mic. So forth and so on.

Last edited:
I paid $300 for 4 songs, probably took 10 hours or so. Could you make a mix better than this? That's what I paid for
Better? I wouldn’t necessarily say better because everybody mixes differently. All I know is that I have a good ear for music and whatever I work on sounds very good especially for the type of equipment I have at the moment.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Depends on what gear you're using and how it's setup. if the room looks decent and not like a bedroom (Use a futon instead of a bed or whatever, then unfold it when there aren't clients over.) then charge more. You'd be surprised how much atmosphere effects people and their willingness to come back again.

If your booth looks like crap and is covered in bed foam, charge less. More if you've got a good sized area with professional acoustic foam. If you're using a U87, charge more. Less if it's a Studio Projects mic. So forth and so on.
That's actually some good advice thanks!

Back