How much does it cost to sample?

J

Jut

I know thats a very simple question but thats really the only way I know to put it. Is there a detailed explanation on how much it costs to sample things? 1 second of a beat? 15 seconds of a beat?

What are the rates?

Im sure it varies by the person / song your sampling but anyone have a general guideline?

thx

also it depends on the popularity of the original song

the amount for clearing a sample depends on a number of things like the artists involved as well as who holds the rights to whatever you sampled. More well known stuff from big artists tend to cost more, I heard Eric Sermon paid more than 100,000 to clear the Marvin Gaye sample in the song "Music". but somtimes it can cost more than just a clearance fee. Somtimes you also have to pay royalties of of the sales. Sometimes sample clearance can be so hard that it can change a song, just look at the song by kanye west "all falls down". On the album the hook is sung by salena johnson. But if you ever heard the original you know that the hook's she's singing on the album was a sample off of Lauren Hill's unplugged Album but the couldn't clear it.

Last edited:
Pase said:
Sometimes sample clearance can be so hard that it can change a song, just look at the song "all falls down". On the album the hook is sung by salena johnson. But if you ever heard the original you know that the hook's she's singing on the album was a sample off of Lauren Hill's unplugged Album but the couldn't clear it.

thank god. that verion is so wack. glad he got SJ to do the hook.

Back