How much do I need to invest

Everythiing

Hi guys,

Do you think its realistic to make really good stuff with a budget of 1000 Euros(its also around 1000 dollars)?I am talking about making something good that can be on Drake level.Or in general just something of high quality.I hope you get what I mean.Could I compensate that with skills(I am not talking about music-engineering skills that you learn at university,rather talking about skills than can be learnt)?And what do you think would it cost to buy VST plug ins that allow me to produce very well?My english is not good enough yet to write in a more detailed way, im sorry, but I hope you get the idea of my thread

Short answer yes you could, just dont forget all big names (like drake) has team behind them, its not like he does it all, but you definitely can make good stuff with $1000 budget,
you only need a computer, DAW, studio headphones and other stuff is optional, about VSTs you can get Serum which is one of the best synths for $10 a month on Splice (Full price $249) Sylenth1 costs about $150 (i have it and i love it) Massive is good too costs about $150, but dont forget it takes times to get good at producing, learning your DAW, sound design, beatmaking, mastering, etc. I hope i helped you a bit good luck.

Last edited:
Ya, you can. You'll learn that an audio interface is a really important piece of your studio. But sure, you can make better music than the crap Justin Beiber sings on easily for way under $1000 (and with only a 3rd grade music education). :) No offense to the homies at Team Supreme...lol

It will no problem at all. Start with the DAW like minorkey said for around $100 and headphones, then start getting midi instruments (analog if you want to be a G), studio speakers, an interface, a mic, cables, etc. I also recommend either a.) stealing or b.) leasing a fancy car for the weekend so you can sit on it for music videos.

Last edited:
Only get what you plan to use and make music because you have a genuine interest in it and don't do it to fit in with a particular peer group. Unlike you Drake has a team behind his success so don't compare yourself to anyone who is popular or not-so-popular in this era.

Thanks for all your answers, things got more clear now ! I was not really talking about Drake, I was rather talking about the music in general , I am not a sound expert but I think songs like one dance are just made extremely well when it comes to the beat.What still confuses me, if its really possible to do really good music under 1000 euros for example, why do their basements look like spaceships then?:pointing:

You'll start to get more equipment as you go. Stick to it. In a few years you'll have a spaceship too.

I've made tracks people wouldn't shut up about in fruity edition. Did I mention the professional editions let you mess with musicxml or other shit to allow custom quantize settings and junk?
You really only need the essential versions but the max versions are the fun ones for most people who stick to music production for longer than a year There's tons of good freeware out there too as well as built in stuff as well so use hose also as they are actually AS GOOD AS MOST THIRDPARTY PLUGS.

Money doesn't make music. It's not about the cash you put into it, it's more about the time you invest and the skills you have and build up during that time.

Honestly, sometimes (most of the time) it isn't about the resources, but that resourcefulness. You could get a free software and start messing around from there. When I started I just downloaded an app on my phone for free and started there. Eventually I understood the basics of recording and moved to bigger things. Never let lack of things stop you from creating things.

Tracktion 5= free. You will not hit a wall, or find any limitations to speak of here. Only the midi editor is kind of uncomfortable if your using a really fluid one like FL.
T5 DAW | Free digital audio workstation - Tracktion
Free VST Plugins! - Bedroom Producers Blog

As far as sampling goes , I've been using Shortcircuit 1 since 2006, and have not found anything new, and expensive that merits me upgrading unless I buy a new computer, and find it no longer compatible.
The free alternatives really don't limit you much.

Last edited:
One of the pitfalls of buying software is that somewhere down the road you are going to want to upgrade and so if you are on a budget you don't want to buy a whole lot of plugins that are going to end up costing you a small fortune when you add up all the upgrade costs.

Kygo made the Ed Sheehan "I see fire" remix on a MacBook , cheap midi keyboard and a weird and cheap speaker and headphones.
Estimated value of his gear was under 1800 USD.
If you buy such gear used you should be able to get it around 1000 USD.

Sure you can.
PS! You do not need VSTs to produce very well as you state it. Use internal sound sources from your DAW.
The Beauty of the sounds lay in processing them correctly for what you are producing. aka delays, compressors, EQ and reverbs. Those are your main tools for making stock sounds sound great.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with using third party plugins, but I feel if you aren't going to be heavily invested in that plugin format then there wouldn't be much of a point.
These plugin formats exist also btw:
Vst/AU/RTAS/AAX/RE.

At the end of the day its about your ear, do you think "Skrillex" really needs an expensive production studio to make the stuff that he does

Well my friend $ 1000 is not much but i recon if you buy all your instrument 2nd hand you are probably gonna stay within the budget. Considering that a music production software like ableton is about $ 700 you'll probably need a little bit more something like $ 1500 . all the best to you :D

Back