How many of you guys PRACTICE.......

BigBrotherMotown

Grand Sage of Songwriting
ENGINEERING!!!!!

That's right.....

How many of you guys actually PRACTICE your RECORDING TECHNIQUES....

Just like with an instrument.....practice & technique are VERY important parts of it.....Gotta do a TON of reading too....

There are a lot of clients who come to my studio and remark that my SOUND is better than a lot of other peoples....but I dont have much gear....and I DONT HAVE PRO TOOLS.......

Most other studios have way more gear than me....

So......What's up
:rolleyes:

To me less is more...Knowing the equipment and using it to it's full potential is key to me. However we all learn things in life differently. Some people will study and learn from reading while others learn hands on be trail and error. Congrats that you are getting positive feedback from clients.

peace,
JBm

Last edited:
I would say its not called practice, I usually just call it trying different things. Like when im not working on music I'll think up some crazy ass way of twisting a sound a certain way, and then later on at some point I'll hit up my mini-studio and try it.

And I don't think Pro Tools affects your sound AT ALL. Unless you have a completely horrible program like audacity then most other DAWS are the same quality.

PS. dont mean to threadjack but this ? seemed relevant. Has anyone here got any samples of kick drums being struck while full of water? If not someone try that, I've always wanted to hear the result but dotn have a drum set to try it out.

I always practice Recording and Mixing on my SIAB for right now....What I really wanted is a Hardware Digital Mixer....Its Not really needed....I just love the Software & hardware Set-up...

Every Weekend I Freestyle to a Track and then try to mix and record the best way I can....Im reading different books on mixing and recording....It Important to Record much asa possible to gain that experience....Just Hop the in the Lab and record that shyt...then after years of recording & Mixing....You cant get nothing but better....So that why I try to make it a habit ....also while doing so Im practicing my rapping skills also....so really Im in a all gain situation.....Real Talk....Ill learn from both....Trial & Error and also Reading.....

BKster....."All Haters Die"....

Last edited by a moderator:
I def. practice...many of my songs are written/recorded just to have something to work on or try a new technique...in fact much of hte last few years have been geared at doing just this...not to mention i've recorded several bands and too many rappers to name for the same reason (for free when I was getting started)

Recording live bands keeps my ego in check...still have lots to learn!

people under estimate SPEED.

how long does it take you to fly a hook throughout the entire song on a 2track beat in a DAW thats not lined up to the grid or matched to the tempo?

as an engineer, not an artist/engineer, the game is entirely different because while you may know why its taking you so long to figure out the aux send configuration when your recording yourself, taking your sweet time while an artist is standing in a hot booth is the number one way to kill a vibe and murder a session.

whether its pro tools, logic, or cubase. know your quick keys and practice. when its time to get that check and your first real engineering gig comes around, you need to be quick. for real.

you know, i feel like a thread killer sometimes.

either FP isnt as active as it used to be,

or

whenever i drop knowledge people never respond and the thread just dies. how am i supposed to argue with noobs if they never respond?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back