How many sounds do YOU use to make a beat?

Villainaire

On average, how many different sounds do you use to make a beat? Count each percussion instrument and each synth. I'm wondering what's average.

Drums *3-6 elements*
instruments *3-6*
Synths *2-4*

Thats about average for me sometimes i just use 5 sounds total
Kick,snare,bass,instrument,instrument. Just depends.

What many producer do, well non-signed producers/ sound click producers do, is OVER-produced their beats (learned this on a hip hop sessions tutorial). If it feels good and it sounds smooth it's good.

Listen to hit songs, like 4 sounds besides the drums, not all these strings on top of synths with some horns wit another synth then tons of kicks. Just make it feel good, dont try to impress

Verbalvendetta said:
What many producer do, well non-signed producers/ sound click producers do, is OVER-produced their beats (learned this on a hip hop sessions tutorial). If it feels good and it sounds smooth it's good.

Listen to hit songs, like 4 sounds besides the drums, not all these strings on top of synths with some horns wit another synth then tons of kicks. Just make it feel good, dont try to impress

WORD..ESPECIALLY WHEN I C TUTORIALS..IM LIKE DAMN THAT SOUNDS SIK..THEN THEY ADD A EXTRA GUITAR OR SNARE..IT DONT MATTER AS LONG AS IT SOUNDS GOOD A 3 SOUND BEAT CAN SOUND BETTER THEN A 15 SOUND BEAT

Verbalvendetta said:

i agree. however many it takes to get that vibe goin. dont sacrifice the vibe of the beat, jus cuz you dont feel your using enough instruments.

The simplest beats are usually the best beats.
I would say,
Nice bangin drums
Nice bassline
Not more then 3-4 instruments (including synths) , may be 1-2 more if there is a bridge.

That is my typical for an R & b beat.

It also depends on the beat you are creating.

Some beat also have many instruments, but they are used to balance each other out.

For example, a 4 bar loop may have strings, some keys, horns and synths but they will never be layered together (so the strings may be layered with the horns at the start and then the synth comes in as strings are taken out, etc, etc)

How many different words do you use to make up a sentence? I mean on average.

I used to overproduce them, but recently its been nothing morethan 3-5 drum sounds, then 2-5 instruments. But my instruments normally compliment each other, meaning they don't all have differing melodies and rhythms, they might share a rhythm but have complementary melodies. You could call it 2 instruments, but 1 element.

In my own experience, people add sounds to compensate for the quality of their sounds. If you make quality sounds there is no need to keep adding and adding.

Verbalvendetta said:

Yeah I saw that too :D

<3 Hip Hop In Session <3

i dont really have a set number i put in wat i feel the beat needs

You just gotta remember that the beat is supposed to carry lyrics smoothly. Don't make the beat talk just make the beat give you ideas.

It all depends, but I usually keep it to a minimum. When I keep adding I like the way it is before I added in that extra sound.

Back