how many bars per verse?

mr producer

i was just wondering how many bars you guys use per verse, i know it depends on the beat, and how many choruses you want, but i made a beat with 32 bars for each off the 2 verses, and i'm thinking about changeing it to 24 bars per verse!

so how long are your verses 16,24,or32 ?

just one more quick question (don't laugh)
what does the term 'bridge' mean? i 've never beeb told?

thankx!!!!!

Standard Hip-Hop

Verse--16 bars if the song is 3 verses......24 if the song is 2 verses.

Hook (Chorus)-- 8 bars

Intro-- 4-8 bars

Outro--4-8 bars

Bridge--4-8 bars

I think in a R&B verse, it's just 8 bars, because singin takes up more "time" than rapping........

depends on the lyrics. but i have worked with singers who use the same format as above as well.

Bridge is technically not something you would put at the end. Allthough in hip hop related music, anything goes...

Definition of bridge (The correct one)
A part usually placed after the first or second chorus which implements a change of melody through 8 bars (usually in contemporary music).
It sometimes changes the whole structure/theme of the song, only to return to the main theme/structure at the end. Hence...bridging a gap between the melodies. Also referred to by many as the middle eight.
Point of it would be to lead out of or into something, at though it may change the leading key it always return to the correct one in a musical manner. I wouldn't worry to much about that when it came to beats actually, it's rarely used correctly anyways. Just do an intro and an outro with some change ups. No need to complicate things :)

Number of bars in a verse:

RnB is usually around 10-16.

16 is the standard number for Hip Hop.

There are many exceptions, 2 of the most notable in Hip Hop:
Biggie used to rap 20s and sometimes more.
2PAC was really different. For instance, "So Many Tears" had 4 verse if I remember correctly, each one different in length from the preceding one.
"My Block" had an equally uneven structure:

1st - 22
chorus (6)
2nd - 18
chorus (6)
3rd - 18
chorus (6)
4th - 16
chorus (6)

Last edited by a moderator:
SampleCore said:
Number of bars in a verse:

1st - 22
chorus (6)
2nd - 18
chorus (6)
3rd - 18
chorus (6)
4th - 16
chorus (6)

I've never heard of 6 bar choruses. Is this true...?

Listen to "Zion Train" by Bob Marley. He even says in his lyrics "...to the bridge..." and then proceeds to the bridge. You can't miss it.

Yeah it's usually right before the last chorus or verse. The key should change also and there's usually some kind of "breakdown" sometimes with a big drum-fill leading back into the next chous/verse. I don't know if I've heard of too many bridges in hip-hop. Usually its involved with complex songwriting associated with rock/western/contemporary music.

Back