How to make a bass line for Drum and Bass? =/

Hey so I've been mixing DnB for almost 4 months now
I have definetly gotten better but my problem is that "Good part" of the song
I dont focus to much on the bass line and the melody I tend to over work alot of the time
Basically and straight to the point
How do I make a good bass line or melody?
As in how would I start is there a good guide line or something
And I noticed that in some songs they dont even have a complicated melody
Like the good part of the song will be some awesome bass line
I have never done that before
I always mash a bunch of short notes together for a melody
Maybe I am even using the wrong word "Bass line"
sounds about right though
Here is an example of what Im talking about if you have the time
You'll notice that the good part of the song is not some complicated melody its a sick line of bass
State of Mind - Sun King - YouTube

Thanks for helping a nooby out

There are many ways to create a bass line:
  • take the root of each chord and play it with some rhythm that usually syncs up with the kick drum
  • take the notes of each chord and play through them like the bass in rock around the clock (arpeggio bass 1-3-5-3)
  • take the notes of the chord and play them with joining scale runs or leaps to notes outside the chord and then fall back into the chord note (e.g. 1-4-3-2-3-4-5)
  • take the notes of each chord and construct a line that moves up or down smoothly, effectively mimicking scale runs but with chromatic (out of key) notes where needed; this is generally called a walking bass line as it walks from chord to chord. You can also jump out of a note to another chord tone to push the flow of the line if needed
  • create a melody that pays attention the chords but is not tied to using the root of any one chord, creating a line that flows

many more besides.

So the short answer is that you need to learn:
  • chords and chord spellings
  • scales
  • melodic devices
  • chromatic notes (non-scale tones) and when they should be used

Chords and chord spellings

Keyboard fingering charts - a collection of different chords

Scales

Melodic Devices

There are many ways to create a bass line:
  • take the root of each chord and play it with some rhythm that usually syncs up with the kick drum
  • take the notes of each chord and play through them like the bass in rock around the clock (arpeggio bass 1-3-5-3)
  • take the notes of the chord and play them with joining scale runs or leaps to notes outside the chord and then fall back into the chord note (e.g. 1-4-3-2-3-4-5)
  • take the notes of each chord and construct a line that moves up or down smoothly, effectively mimicking scale runs but with chromatic (out of key) notes where needed; this is generally called a walking bass line as it walks from chord to chord. You can also jump out of a note to another chord tone to push the flow of the line if needed
  • create a melody that pays attention the chords but is not tied to using the root of any one chord, creating a line that flows

many more besides.

So the short answer is that you need to learn:
  • chords and chord spellings
  • scales
  • melodic devices
  • chromatic notes (non-scale tones) and when they should be used

Chords and chord spellings

Keyboard fingering charts - a collection of different chords

Scales

Melodic Devices
Wow thanks excellent answer
Im gonna look up tutorials for that chord stuff you mentioned