How long does it take you to find the right drums for your track

DavidStarz

So I'm still pretty new to producing (little over a month) and was working on a song last night but got frustrated and gave up for the night because it took me over an hour to find the right drums that I had in mind for the track. I'm still learning and trying to get better at layering drums so that probably paid a big part in it but I was just curious to see how long it takes you guys to find the final drums for your tracks?

Everything from 10 secs (sampling a beat from vinyl/itunes) to days. What genre?
And working out great drum sounds from scratch takes time. Key words are layering, compression, EQ and never to forget; stereo effects or plain panning.

Keep it up.

If you have an idea just go with it don't waste time compressing and EQ'in,especially not kits you've downloaded.Just find a sound and go with it,later on after you've got into the groove of the track you can layer or replace the drums.Same goes with vsti's,just get the track started.

Peace

So I'm still pretty new to producing (little over a month) and was working on a song last night but got frustrated and gave up for the night because it took me over an hour to find the right drums that I had in mind for the track. I'm still learning and trying to get better at layering drums so that probably paid a big part in it but I was just curious to see how long it takes you guys to find the final drums for your tracks?

Starting out it took hours because didn't know very much and i had a huge collection of drums. The more i made music the easier it became. After you do this for a while you'll start to have "go to" sounds

finding drums is easy.making your own is medium.

equalizing any drum to fit a track is hard mode.

some people prefer drum be in sync,same note as melody in backround.
Some do not care matter of this be.Some people put random tribal noise in track,
chant chant chant.make you choice.high quality mic also good idea.

Lately I've been sampling water bottles to my drum set.
Yeah, looks creepy in the
beginning, but i kinda like the sound. :berzerk:

Not long initially, I'll pick whatever kind of drums to just get my ideas down and then when the track is done I go back and replace the ones I added with whatever sounds good.

too long to be honest, I'm very critical of my own work, I never think anything sounds just right. I've stopped wasting so much time and just selecting something that sounds ok and then layering it and trying to get something that sounds good

me it takes minutes.. i go through my personal drumkit of dope percussion and choose what pleases my ear... since your new, your prolly using boring stock sounds... go download some drumkits...

Sometimes it will come within a minute, sometimes not. Sometimes if I'm taking to long I will have an idea of what I want, and will just throw, say a kick or snare where they need to be, and simply just replace it when I find what I really wanted.

You can't get frustrated. Good music takes time.

Its something that I can spend too much time on doing. The melody has to be good, but if the drums just dont blend in it ruins the whole beat.

2 things I'll say to help:

1. Get familiar with your sounds.

2. Go through your sounds and get rid of doubles. I just downloaded a Lex Luger drumkit and half the sounds were new, the rest were stock FL sounds.

It doesn't help having all of these extra useless sounds to have to sift through when you're trying to capture something.

your post inspired me to finally create a free drumkit... enjoy > Download @CocaineAudio Drumkit.zip | Limelinx

Respect for the drum kit, but the thing people don't understand is even if you purchase drum kits, you still need to work on your drum game and still need to put some time into. I download drum kits for everyone, super star O for example...but I still layer my snares and do work on them, I've never used a snare or kick sound I didn't have to tweak. Experience is everything at the end of the day

Back