How LATE do you think is TOO LATE for a Rapper to blow?

an older rapper will have more life experience hence more things to rap about but I can't see some 60 year old dude using today's slang to express himself

nowadays rap as we know it is being geared toward a younger audience so as a result rappers are coming out younger to be able to relate to that audience....there is no age requirement for a good rapper....but imagine how funny it would be to see a 30+ man doing the "dougie" or "jerkin" or some bullshit like that...i think your age would be something that would juz simply effect your target audience more than anything else

I love all the inspirational quotes everybody is posting but can anybody name a rapper that got signed post 30?

After 29 YOu should quit. They looking for young niggas now.

I'd say its never too late. Really depends on how you market yourself. If you come out at 40 and try to rap like Soulja Boy than it's obviously not going to work. Just rap your age and come from the right angle. Age is just a number.

Truth on the Internet.

Anything over 25 is too old for most people.

I know that most people will say that you can blow up at any age. That is a lie for pop/urban music. Blowing up implies being a part of pop culture and being on TV. Older musicians do not become successful in the mainstream sphere. Even older musicians that were pop stars get put on the backburner.

Smarten up.

Last edited:
Blow means what? - and blow AS WHAT needs some clarity.
Make an exact definition and then we can talk about it. Keep it vague and everyone is right.

You mean- be a (young teen) pop idol? Then obviously, once you image slides past that age group then yes, it is too late to be a teen pop idol when you are seen as being in your late 20s. Duh. Be marketed as a PEER to 17 year-olds when your look and image clearly says 30+? not gonna work. Duh.

Have the hottest record that EVERYONE IS PLAYING EVERYWHERE? You can do that at any age.
The top artists in rap RIGHT NOW- didn't blow in their teens. They rose in their late 20s and early 30s.
YOU just think of them as being younger than they are. There was a time not long ago where there wasn't a significant rapper below 30.
times change.

There are more examples of people having their turn AFTER the TEENAGE Years and being the most popular artist than there are examples of 'young people running things'.
It's obvious math we don't have to argue about. Your teen years is one of the shorter periods, where you have the least amount of control and need the most help and at the same time, you don't want it. Requires a look, a style and keeping on top of trends. Older slowly becomes about leadership and setting those things for other people. Who has a highly developed sense of style in their teens? Probably that teen idol's older stylist. lolz.

But who cares? The thing to remember is that *most artists [or an agent] spent a significant amount of time working before they emerged. Some have spent YEARS grinding in the background (some call that paying dues) before having their turn. So, to be of an advanced age and look at other rappers of advanced age and thinking "That's me, I got the same chance" is a bad way to go.
-------------------------

On the flip side, I do see it like athletics; you have a prime time when you PEAK and after that it's about continuing to build on your [previous] success.
Not saying that you don't get a second chance or that miracles happen, but being realistic and understanding that time is NOT on your side is important.
Someone said it best earlier. If you're older and thinking like you're younger, you are bound to fail.

Don't go announcing your age....

If anything just say 3hunna and keep it moving...that seems to work these days.

What age do you think a rapper needs to gain some sort of

I read in How to be a record producer that generally with the mainstream mainstream, females should blow by the latest 21 and males 25.

What are your thoughts on this?

Is there such a thing as too late?

It's too late when the artists says,"It's too late;" and believes it.

Last edited:
Back