How to improve as a beginer beats producer?

Adr

i've recently got some equipment, the basics such as midi keyboard, pc, monitors, etc and i use Fl Studio 10 (demo, because i haven't earn money to buy producer's edition yet) so i carry out watchnig tutorials, practicing, analizing other's producers beats and i earned a lot of knoledge but the problem is that, when i imagine a great beat, i sit on my lil studio but i can't make a good beat, my beats sound like weird ci fi music..
i want to produce beats but also to produce my hip hop band

-What should i do to improve as a producer??

Thanks!

I hate to say it, but time - and of course A LOT OF will and sacrifice, watching tuts on youtube, reading FP.. all that stuff works for me, I only do it for maybe 6 months, but I started from real ZERO. So yeah, I feel like I moved from completely begginer to person that can find good sample and knows the basics.. right now it's only about sacrificing everything and practicing. And imagination of course.

What should i do to improve as a producer??

Learn & Apply. Only you know what you need to work on. Pinpoint what the weakest part of your production is, learn about it, then apply what you learned & of course practice even more. I know you hear the same shit all the time 'practice, practice, practice', but it's true. As long as you can find the right information. Google.

You need to put in a lot of hours. I'm a beginner like yourself but I don't even have a midi controller! Just keep working and you'll get there :)

1st you need to know how to create the sounds you hear in your head. And, no matter how good you get, instrumentals hardly come out the way you envision them in your head. As a matter fact, stop creating beats in your head. There's no need for that once you have gear. The music you make is an extension of you; therefore, spend the needed time getting to know your gear. Learn which sound sample are better than others and practice your timing within multiple BPM. Learn the different instruments associated with making multiple types of music and find their place in a song creation. Remain open to listen to all forms of music from all over the world.

There's a common misconception that beats are only good when they're made by people who have experience. Don't believe that BS. The best beats are made by people who know how to have fun during the music creation process. Remember that you can always send your music off for mixing an mastering, so there's no need to get technical in the beginning. Mixing and mastering does require experience, let the pros handle that until you can do so yourself. For now... just have fun with it.

The fastest way to improve for beginners is watching tutorials on youtube.

That'll only take you so far, but you'll get there pretty fast.

Dude I've been working with FL going on 6 years now and I still haven't masted this shit, let alone sell a beat. I don't try and promote my shit though, so I'm still growing daily.

The more you master the programs you use and the more sound libraries you gain, the easier it will be to get the beats that are in your head to traslate to the beat you create in your DAW. Also, learning how to create any sounds you can imagine using synths would be great to learn. Don't overload yourself with multiple programs for the same tasks, keep it simple and master the few programs you need, like maybe just MOTU BPM for drums, and just one or two synths etc. But don't skimp on sound libraries!

[h=1]Advice on making better beats[/h]
Advice on making better beats « Producer's Edge

Strangely enough, most of these thoughts DO NOT center on buying more equipment, better sounds or taking lessons.
I don’t believe you get better by making more beats either. I see advice like “Just keep making beetz and you’ll get better”
In the beginning, it’s mostly about technical concerns. How Do I…?
Eventually, it’s about Control. You want creative freedom to do what you want in the way you want to. You want what fits your style.
A better MIDI controller/keyboard/DAW. A Simpler work flow. A more organized system of production.
After control comes the quest to control your creativity. You want to understand WHY you get the results you do and even what went wrong when you don’t.
Is it tied to your mood? Your focus? Some cosmic…energy or synergy? Why were those last 4 beats usable, but today I just made okay stuff?
Let’s go back and answer some early questions and see what bubbles up......

Advice on making better beats « Producer's Edge

The best way I think you can start is just doing stuff you don't even know. For about the first 2 months you should just play around with your midi keyboard and FL. Then you learn a little bit more about scales, chords and piano, and if you already played your midi keyboard alot, you already know most of that. And don't expect to make hard beats right away, it will take a lot of time to create something decent. Also don't worry about your mix at this moment, once you start to make good melodies and beats, you'll learn it yourself.
By the way, maybe it may look like you don't, but you learn alot from these 'ci fi beats'. Right now I also still make worthless beats now and than, but sometimes I do learn some techniques or other stuff from them.
Other ways to learn stuff is from YouTube ofcourse, listen closely to other songs and maybe even try to recreate or play them.

Last edited:
If you don't have a strong base in music I would start reading some theory books. Learn some scales, progressions, etc. I wouldnt start out trying to make anything too complex yet either, keep it simple at first while you learn how to build songs.

Also, after you understand the basics of creating all parts of a beat, melody, drums, accompaniment, etc, then you could just focus on one area at a times and perfect it, like just start with drums and don't move on to another area until know that s*#t inside and out.

just focus on one area at a times and perfect it, like just start with drums and don't move on to another area until know that s*#t inside and out.

And

I wouldnt start out trying to make anything too complex yet either, keep it simple at first while you learn how to build songs.

Is that what you guys did?

That philosophy is something I've used in many things not just making beats. It's easier to focus on one thing at a time. Break it down. There's too much information you have to learn in this field to absorb everything all at once.

put in hours and hours! im still new too...just get on your computer and make whatever comes out, dont try to force anything at first until you really get comfortable, and most of all...accept the fact that your stuff isnt gonna sound amazing at first. but dont let that discourage you!! learn new things constantly, watch all kinds of tutorials, even ones that show u how to do things that maybe arent even geared towards waht u want to make, you can still learn from it. but of course most of all, never give up and dont get discouraged :) everyone is a beginner at some point and the only way they got better is to keep doing it. also listen closely to songs that u like, or stuff u listen to everyday...after i started making beats or learning to make EDM music, i would pick apart every song i heard, i would hear things i didnt hear before...to me, lyrics were almost non existent sometimes! but thats just me...lol everyone has their way of learning,just dont give up and keep learning everyday ;) youll get there, im in the same boat as you!

That philosophy is something I've used in many things not just making beats.

I understand that it's a philosophy. I asked you if you actually DID IT.

focus on one area at a times and perfect it, like just start with drums and don't move on to another area until know that s*#t inside and out.

Question: Did you Focus on one area and know it inside out and then move on to another?
It's pretty much a yes or no question.

If your answer is YES then I want to know what area you know inside and out. I also want to know what constitutes inside and out- like MASTERY? Like PERFECTION , like good enough?

And also how you do get to perfection and how you knew when you got whatever it was to perfection?

And, is one area of production harder or easier to perfect than another?

And also, does that mean that every successful producer/beatsmith has perfected all these areas?

Should I do anything serious with my music until I perfect these areas?
How many areas do I need to perfect before I should try to share/sell/make moves with my music?

Is there an average time I should spend working on each area? Suppose it's like 2 years perfecting drums- should I move on to another area or just keep practicing?

Sorry for all the questions, but these seem directly related to your advice.

Last edited:
I did answer the question won't do it again. By the way all your doing is being argumentative. Manipulating what I say to change it into some psychotic attempt at Godly perfection. Why would I choose to support an argument you gave me, I don't believe in anything that you say I do in that post.
Wow.

I firstly, calm down. This isn't an attack.
Secondly I quoted you speaking about perfection.
If you already answered then your answer is YES.
If that's the case, what's so wrong about asking you to elaborate on your experiences.

I find it strange that you would give someone advice about something and then get offended when you're asked about how following your own advice worked out for you. If the original poster asked you these same questions, would you refuse to answer or discuss it further?

That deserves the "wow".

Worse, I don't share you same approach, but how can anyone say it's wrong when it's worked for you and might work for him? What is there to argue about? Is there only ONE way to get better? Aren't you simply giving your opinion?

When you go to school do you go to math class, then geography, and so on and so forth or does every class teach everything? You have to learn things one at a time. That's why there's a difference between playing and practicing (i guess the phrase practice makes perfect doesn't make sense to you, because you take everything to the literall extreme, just to argue, if your not doing this on purpose then do you have asbergers? Common sense! Come on are you just f*#king with me??? You know I don't mean literally perfect. Everytime someone says something is perfect do you go off on this tangent, because nothing ever is perfect are you seriously thinking you have a valid argument on that front.
There is a difference between practicing and playing. Making a beat is playing, like playing a basketball game, it has it's merits, but your not going to truly get better until you practice, which involves ONE SKILL AT A TIME. I never said my way was the only way.
You do reallze you've created this entire argument based upon your disaproval of my word choices, when I'm sure we probably agree on all fronts on everything, really. How childish are you?

Last edited:
Back