How does this work in Pro Tools?

ProducerJC

IndieHost
What's your experience with Pro Tools, anyone here using it? I'll be sending out for a copy today, and should have it in me DAW soon enough. Pro Tools still seems to be a necessity in most studios around Houston, TX USA and Avid Everywhere for Audio looks compelling, especially after the release of the technology shown in the video below.

FP, do any of you have experience collaborating in this fashion?

Last edited:
Id go ask on the Avid forums at DUC.Avid.com.

You won't get a lot of good Pro Tools answers on this forum. I use it, but not the cloud collaboration you are needing answers about. As far as it still being a necessity in studios around your area; regardless of what these 'FL is the future' lovers say, that will still be the reality for a very long time.

edit-not sure if this is against the rules or not for promoting another forum, if it is delete it i suppose. Just noticed this a few minutes after posting it.

Last edited:
It's basically realtime dropbox with a facetime window.

Irony is, as much as pro tools is the alleged "industry standard", in order to use this function, all parties would have to use it as well(will never happen). As far as Pro Tools' "standard" of compatibility goes, you'll have guys with alternate plug ins, different versions, attempting realtime destructive edits, needing to run things out/in again, ect. It's a fun idea on a basic scale, but won't replace simply dropboxing a beat, having a performance added, dropboxing the song again to have it mixed, and finally just sending the finalized product to the client. All this can be done during a phone convo or facetime now in minutes.

Pro tools is far from a standard in this era of music. I'm sure as you visit these studios throughout Houston they have different versions, different effects, different builds with HD systems, ect. You may as well be using Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Digital Performer, ect and exporting OMF or stem files. All just as compatible.

Pretty sure Presonus has a similar function, but could be wrong, don't use it, just think I remember seeing something about that while checking out the copy that came with my interface.

I do agree checking out the avid forums will more than likely get you more in depth discussions.

Last edited:
Pro tools is far from a standard in this era of music. I'm sure as you visit these studios throughout Houston they have different versions, different effects, different builds with HD systems, ect. You may as well be using Cubase, Logic, Sonar, Digital Performer, ect and exporting OMF or stem files. All just as compatible.

I agree, I just gotta clear up now that I wasn't implying Pro Tools is the only thing used in studios. I just meant it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And will definitely be relevant in studio settings.

It's basically realtime dropbox with a facetime window.

Irony is, as much as pro tools is the alleged "industry standard", in order to use this function, all parties would have to use it as well(will never happen). As far as Pro Tools' "standard" of compatibility goes, you'll have guys with alternate plug ins, different versions, attempting realtime destructive edits, needing to run things out/in again, ect. It's a fun idea on a basic scale, but won't replace simply dropboxing a beat, having a performance added, dropboxing the song again to have it mixed, and finally just sending the finalized product to the client. All this can be done during a phone convo or facetime now in minutes.

Pretty sure Presonus has a similar function, but could be wrong, don't use it, just think I remember seeing something about that while checking out the copy that came with my interface.

I do agree checking out the avid forums will more than likely get you more in depth discussions.

I'll post in their forum eventually, for now I'll just wait for the NFR to show up as a download or whatever. I've decide to get it simply for the fact that people need help using it where I work. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have an addition network of people to collab with. As long as they're interested, I am. Honestly speaking though, I wouldn't get pro tool for my personal DAW. Having the NFR will allow me to help people learn to use the program, which is what make this feature interesting. You'd be amazed at how many people bring their computers into my store with this desperate look of creative frustration on their faces.

It pays to help in my line of work which is easier said than done. I can only help a few people at a time and just can't spend a ton of time with even one who want to beat my brain. At least this way I can easily help people who lack basic knowledge of recording. I would be nice to let my customers know that help is available so longs as they have internet access. Those who don't have internet, I leave to fend for themselves; standards need to be established somewhere, you know?

I agree, I just gotta clear up now that I wasn't implying Pro Tools is the only thing used in studios. I just meant it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. And will definitely be relevant in studio settings.

You're right, it's not the the only DAW anymore. I think they're looking for a way to be considered the best once again; something like reclaiming the title of Best Industry DAW or whatever. I dunno, maybe they will reclaim the title. If so, I'll already have a copy. If not, I'm over it. People will still need help with recording and such.

Back