How do you guys start making a trap/drill beat

Foran Beatz

Whats good its yuh boy foran lol jk. But foreal im wondering how yall start your trap/drill beats drums chords or melody first?

Before I start I gotta get in the trap mindset. So I usually go out and sell some coke and hold up a liquor store. Then I'm good to go

Last edited:
People who make tracks/songs/beats can only start from 3 directions.
drums first, melody first, or both at the same time.

I missed the other stuff one sec:
intervals
Those chord movements
scales
deciding on doing drums or melody first
deciding on both at the same time
Also forgot it depends on whether you doing something spontaneus or thought out before hand, like a theme or what happened at the moment

check out a few videos on youtube of ppl making trap beats in the software you use
such as
1.Trap beat in FL Studio
2.Trap beat in Reason
3.Trap beat in Abl. Live
4.etc....
you'll find all kinds of tips and ways of doing things
I always start off with drums

I used to begin with drums first, but at times it can be creatively stiffing if you're trying to create a great lead.

It's more of a fusion now. For example, first find your lead sound inspiration and begin creating your rhyhtm or melody off of that. Then, begin to mold a basic drum beat together with the lead so they work together. Then flesh them both out so they are full ideas.

The big mindset behind this is that your lead needs to be captivating, interesting and fresh. If you have a beat already in place, there may be less freedom to explore those grounds. That's why I typically explore leads first, and then when I find something inspiring, the rest falls into place much easier.

It depends. I normally play some chords like c minor to f minor with brass, strings or piano and then i add a melody over the chords with a bell or just a piano. After that i add my 808 bass, drums and extra things like a gated pad, arp or orchestra hits.

I start by choosing the scale i want to use to make the beat. Then i use a chord progression or melody as my base for the rest of the beat. I will usually build around that with my sounds, making sure the sounds all fit together. To stay on beat i add a simple clap, the metronome throw me off sometimes when making a trap beat (depends on the tempo). Then build your percussion around the entire beat, adding details to the hi-hats, open hats, chants, kick, 808, etc.
Eq, add effects, and mix at the end. Making sure my effects are not too over powerful and still fits with the rest of the song.

We think the melody should be the first thing you start with, so you can make the drums in the same direction. Make sure your melody is simple and "catchy" but not to repetitive!

Ive always thought that the snare drums in trap beats were awesome. How do you guys usually add those rolls in there? When you're working on the drums or after you've got the melody going?

Back