How Do You Get Put On !!!???

Diverse12

What's up everybody?

I am trying to get some sort of answer for something we all want to know, as a producer .....how the hell do you get on?

I have been trying for years to get a major placement, with little luck
but then, when I hear the beats that get placed its like What the f**k ?

I am a PMP member, Soundclik member and for awhile, I was slangin beat cd's like nobodys business, but still nothing.

And not to be cocky, I know my stuff is good, just as good or better than the tracks that are getting picked up, and then you suddenly have the interview with the Arrogant Producer who has one hot beat.

Whats the trick folks, A&R's welcome to answer. Is there a gimmick ? Do I need to have my beats professionally mastered before submitting them?

Tell us folks, I know there is no definate answer, but a little direction would be VERY helpful

the best thing to do to get on is to have your own artist and produce them. Somebody will eventually pick up the project rather than pick up the beat. Everybody is making beats now. so you just makin beats isnt gonna help. cause then they start kissin ass. and just when you think you can match theyre beat making and ass kissing, they start suckin dick. thats where some people draw the line. so now you gotta find something to do to beat the competition. develope your own artist, or find a great manager that will do the ass kissing and dick sucking for you(for his 20% management fee of course). and this is just a metaphor dont take me seriously. But seriously, you gotta do something extra. Like write the hooks. good luck.

There is no particular formula for success. There are however, good things to keep in mind such as ...

1. Networking has got to be number one. If you are not to social or that is not apart of your personality, I say "get a new personality" ...at least for doing business.

2. If your music is not "sounding" right, and I am speaking of Mastered music versus Non-Mastered music, then you absolutely must take the time to get it sounding right. Now, I am not saying to go and spending thousands of dollars to go to the local studio and have them master your tracks like you are putting out an album, but when you do finally get to that "industry" person who is capable and willing to help you out, when they play your music, no matter how outstanding the sample is or the arrangement, or the lyrics (if you had them on the track)... if the mix is not right, it is going to turn off whoever is listening to it.

I tried to ignore it, and wondered why things never went anywhere when sending out instrumental disc after instrumental disc...

Finally, I got a hold of someone who knew what they were doing when it came to mixing and mastering, and the tracks were like day and night when comparing what I had and what he did afterwards.

3. if you sample, continue to sample, but do it a different way. If you are a new guy trying to get in the door, a lot of people do not know you and therefore may not want to break their neck for you, doing favors. The favor I speak of is... clearing samples.

There is a legal-loophole is the sampling world, and that is... replaying the sample. By doing so, (any legal advisors correct me if that law has changed) you bypass the need to get the sample cleared.

If you are not musically enabled right now to replay complex arrangements, there are numerous people who play piano, or keyboard, or if you are really fortunate, ...are instrumentalists.

You can usually hum out or simply let them hear the example song and where you want to go with it.

If you are not financially able to accomodate them, there are terms you can work out such as providing them with a percent of the sales that record does if/when purchased and published by someone. Research contracts and copywright (that is a whole other discussion)

4. If you live in Rapid City, South Dakota (ok, so I did a google maps search for somewhere out in the middle of nowhere) and you are trying to be heard, you will be struggling for sometime if you have not figured out a way to reach your target audience by the internet.

I am not saying pickup your belongings and move to L.A., but in a sense, I am saying, pickup your belongings and move to L.A.
(unless, you already live in it or near it).

You would be surprised who you will run into in that "tiny" city.

I will give you the example of Sean Kingston. I went and checked out Sean Kingston's profile on myspace some time back, and he had a video on there where he talked about details of his experience with success:

1. He had a myspace page that he put his music on.

2. He put himself out there and contacted known industry associated people. The person he chose to message the hell out of, was Jonathan "JR" Rotem [formerally under Dr.Dre as a Keyboardist in a similar fashion like Scott Storch].

3. He contacted him consistently everyday... just asking for him to check out his myspace page and to give him music a listen. Finally, after days to weeks of this, he was contacted like "alright, we will sit down and give your music a listen, just stop bombing our comments and filling our inbox with messages" [...had to paraphrase]

4. JR liked what he heard and invited him out to LA to meet with him in person.

5. Not only did he go to LA, he moved there to make sure he could be accessible and available for whatever came next.

6. Fastforward to the present... JR starts his own label with Sean Kingston as his first artist, produces the album, and "wah lah" success.

I am not saying it will happen just like that for you, ...I hope it does though, if possible.

Damn, looking at the time,this took like 40 minutes to write all this hahaha, I hope you get something from it.

In conclusion...

*looking for quotes*....

"The only way to fail, is to give up"

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"

"Little minds let little games burn big old dreams with little flames, and you don’t think I understand. Little holes in parachutes won’t leave you falling, if they do, it’s because you want to land."

Last edited:
I'm probably going to move out of salt lake city. There just isn't much of a way to get heard by industry people out here for hip hop

Notable said:
There is a legal-loophole is the sampling world, and that is... replaying the sample. By doing so, (any legal advisors correct me if that law has changed) you bypass the need to get the sample cleared.

That information is incorrect, let me try and clear this up:

When you are replaying the melody from a sample, you are doing an interpolation of the music, which means you are not using the SOUND RECORDING that the record label owns, you are replaying the melody that was written by the composer.

Most of the time, the label owns the masters, but the producer/writer will own the rights to the composition. So when you interpolate a song, you still have to clear the music, but you only deal with the person(s) who owns the composition, since you are not using the sound recording...

Darkstarr_ said:

When you are replaying the melody from a sample, you are doing an interpolation of the music, which means you are not using the SOUND RECORDING that the record label owns, you are replaying the melody that was written by the composer.

Most of the time, the label owns the masters, but the producer/writer will own the rights to the composition. So when you interpolate a song, you still have to clear the music, but you only deal with the person(s) who owns the composition, since you are not using the sound recording...

So in essence, you still have to get the interpolation cleared? Am I understanding this correctly?

DaLabRat said:
So in essence, you still have to get the interpolation cleared? Am I understanding this correctly?

Yea,

But if the composer/producer is the sole owner of the composition, then you don't have to deal with the label.

in other words:

if you sample a melody = you need to clear it with the owners of the composition and sound recording.

if you interpolate = you clear it with the owner(s) of the composition only.

Darkstarr_ said:

That is definitely good information, and I do appreciate you clarifying that.

I suppose the next thing to do is to suggest you do a variation of the melody to turn it into something unique that you can call yours.

After you have done that for a while, you are going to start to develop rhythms and melodys that are completely unique and original.

Anyway, good luck to all who read this and find value within the advise given.

Canei said:
the best thing to do to get on is to have your own artist and produce them. Somebody will eventually pick up the project rather than pick up the beat. Everybody is making beats now. so you just makin beats isnt gonna help. cause then they start kissin ass. and just when you think you can match theyre beat making and ass kissing, they start suckin dick. thats where some people draw the line. so now you gotta find something to do to beat the competition. develope your own artist, or find a great manager that will do the ass kissing and dick sucking for you(for his 20% management fee of course). and this is just a metaphor dont take me seriously. But seriously, you gotta do something extra. Like write the hooks. good luck.

hahahah damn your my guy

Back