How do I publish my own beats?

look up and study some information about publishing.... theres not just a simple answer

T-Vo Beats said:
How do I publish my own beats?

What are you really trying to ask?

To "publish" your beat, just can put it on a CD.

Are you asking how to start a publishing company?

dvyce said:
What are you really trying to ask?

To "publish" your beat, just can put it on a CD.

Are you asking how to start a publishing company?

I'm asking both really. I read little bit about publishing and printed some applications online but it asks for what radio stations it will be played on and stuff like that. A radio isn't just going to play a beat by itself. I guess I should've been more specific with my question(s).

I have a few questions:

1. How do I start my own publishing company?
2. Do I publish my beats before or after an artist adds lyrics and the song is complete?
3. How do I publish a beat by itself?

Bare with me because this stuff is kind of confusing to me and I might have more questions after I get more replies. Thanks.

You Have To Sign-up With One Of The Publishing Organizations. Ascap, Bmi, Seacap You Can Sign Up As Either A Songwriter/composer Or A Publishing Com. You Can Do Both. As Far As Publishing Goes You Have To Think Of A Song In %'s For Example If You Are The Only Person Involved In The Creation Of The Song. You Have 100%/200% It's 100 Or 200 Because Sometimes The Break Down Of The %'s Are No Evenly Divided. For Example: You Produced The Beat. Which Is(or Should Be 50% Of The Composition) Some More Or Less. It Depends On Your Deal With Whomever You Are Working With. Someone Writes The Hook 25% One Artist Writes The Lyrics 25%. = 100% As Far As When To Publish, It's On You. The Rule Of Thumb Is To Publish When You Are About To Release The Composition In The Media. Ie Radio. Internet. T.v.. You Can At Any Time Add/sell Any % Of The Work. Publishing Is A Must!!!! If You Can Keep It. Some Companys Try To Make It Hard For You To Retain The Rights. If You Don't Mention It!! They Won't Either. I Know A Couple Of People Personally That Lost Millions In Royalities. Don't Worry About The Radio Station Question. If A Song Might Be Released, It Needs To Be Published!!! I Hope I Answered What You Wanted. If Not, Get At Me!!!

So let's say I make a cd with 15 beats. I send that cd off for copyrights. Then I should be straight to sell them or lease I should say, right? What if I meet some random guy who raps and I give him a beat or two for x amount of dollars, he completes the song and wants to put it on the radio or perform it at a club, what should my next move be?

it depends!!! first of all, you may have to copyright each beat by itself on FORM SR, unless you do it as a collective work. NOW, LET'S WORK ON THE REAL TERMS. I DON'T WHO CAME UP WITH THIS "LEASE" NONSENSE!!! WHAT'S A LEASE. LEASE IS A FORM OF THE WORD LOAN, LENT. GET IT. NOW WHAT YOU WANNA DO IS DECIDE IF YOU ARE DOING EXCLUSIVE OR NON- EXCLUSIVE. THINK ABOUT IT. IF YOU WERE AN ARTIST AND BOUGHT TRACKS FROM SOMEONE (OR SHOULD I SAY LEASE) YOUR SONG IS HOT. YOU INVEST BLANK AMOUNT OF DOLLARS. YOU BOUGHT NON-EXCLUSIVE. NOW THE PRODUCER TAKES THAT TRACK AND SELLS IT AGAIN. YOU ARE STUCK. AS A PRODUCER, DECIDE ON THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND THE ARTIST. I DON'T SELL TRACKS UNLESS I KNOW IT'S ABOUT TO HIT HEAVY. BUT, WHEN I DO, I MAY CHARGE $2000 PLUS TWO POINTS. THAT'S SO I WON'T LOSE IN THE LONG RUN. MUST PEOPLE WON'T TELL YOU THIS. IF YOU SELL A TRACK, FOR LETS SAY, $10,000. YOU JUST OUT RIGHT SOLD IT. NO MENTION OF PUBLISHING OR POINTS FROM SALES. NOTHING!!!! THE ARTIST DROPS A SONG, GUESS WHAT? IT'S NUMBER 1. A CERTIFIED BANGA. HE MAKES LONG PAPER. AND WHAT DO YOU GET. NOTTA DAMN THING. YOU SOLD IT, REMEMBER. I LIKE WORKING WITH UP AND COMERS, BECAUSE YOU CAN PARTNER UP. FOR EXAMPLE JOE BLOW WANTS A TRACK. HIS CONCEPT IS HARD! HIS MONEY IS SHORT. I SAY, HEY JOE BLOW JUST GIVE ME $500 NOW. POINTS OFF THE SALE. AND HALF OF PUBLISHING. HE SAYS. WHY NOT? TEAM-UP AND GET PAID!! MOST OF US ON THIS SITE ARE JUST TRYING TO PAID RIGHT NOW. ME. I RATHER FOR LIFE. YA DIGGING THIS. IT'S QUICK MONEY vs. LONG MONEY. NOW WITH ESTABLISHED ARTISTS YOU GOTTA GET IN WHERE U FIT IN. I'M TALKING TO MUCH. MOST PEOPLE WON'T TELL YOU THIS!! BUT YOU FROM THE CRIB. THAT'S HOW I ROLL ONLY WITH TRUE THUGS (O.W.T.T.)

POPPA REAL said:
it depends!!! first of all, you may have to copyright each beat by itself on FORM SR, unless you do it as a collective work. NOW, LET'S WORK ON THE REAL TERMS. I DON'T WHO CAME UP WITH THIS "LEASE" NONSENSE!!! WHAT'S A LEASE. LEASE IS A FORM OF THE WORD LOAN, LENT. GET IT. NOW WHAT YOU WANNA DO IS DECIDE IF YOU ARE DOING EXCLUSIVE OR NON- EXCLUSIVE. THINK ABOUT IT. IF YOU WERE AN ARTIST AND BOUGHT TRACKS FROM SOMEONE (OR SHOULD I SAY LEASE) YOUR SONG IS HOT. YOU INVEST BLANK AMOUNT OF DOLLARS. YOU BOUGHT NON-EXCLUSIVE. NOW THE PRODUCER TAKES THAT TRACK AND SELLS IT AGAIN. YOU ARE STUCK. AS A PRODUCER, DECIDE ON THE TERMS OF AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU AND THE ARTIST. I DON'T SELL TRACKS UNLESS I KNOW IT'S ABOUT TO HIT HEAVY. BUT, WHEN I DO, I MAY CHARGE $2000 PLUS TWO POINTS. THAT'S SO I WON'T LOSE IN THE LONG RUN. MUST PEOPLE WON'T TELL YOU THIS. IF YOU SELL A TRACK, FOR LETS SAY, $10,000. YOU JUST OUT RIGHT SOLD IT. NO MENTION OF PUBLISHING OR POINTS FROM SALES. NOTHING!!!! THE ARTIST DROPS A SONG, GUESS WHAT? IT'S NUMBER 1. A CERTIFIED BANGA. HE MAKES LONG PAPER. AND WHAT DO YOU GET. NOTTA DAMN THING. YOU SOLD IT, REMEMBER. I LIKE WORKING WITH UP AND COMERS, BECAUSE YOU CAN PARTNER UP. FOR EXAMPLE JOE BLOW WANTS A TRACK. HIS CONCEPT IS HARD! HIS MONEY IS SHORT. I SAY, HEY JOE BLOW JUST GIVE ME $500 NOW. POINTS OFF THE SALE. AND HALF OF PUBLISHING. HE SAYS. WHY NOT? TEAM-UP AND GET PAID!! MOST OF US ON THIS SITE ARE JUST TRYING TO PAID RIGHT NOW. ME. I RATHER FOR LIFE. YA DIGGING THIS. IT'S QUICK MONEY vs. LONG MONEY. NOW WITH ESTABLISHED ARTISTS YOU GOTTA GET IN WHERE U FIT IN. I'M TALKING TO MUCH. MOST PEOPLE WON'T TELL YOU THIS!! BUT YOU FROM THE CRIB. THAT'S HOW I ROLL ONLY WITH TRUE THUGS (O.W.T.T.)

? pimp?

T-Vo Beats said:
I'm asking both really. I read little bit about publishing and printed some applications online but it asks for what radio stations it will be played on and stuff like that. A radio isn't just going to play a beat by itself. I guess I should've been more specific with my question(s).

I have a few questions:

1. How do I start my own publishing company?
2. Do I publish my beats before or after an artist adds lyrics and the song is complete?
3. How do I publish a beat by itself?

Bare with me because this stuff is kind of confusing to me and I might have more questions after I get more replies. Thanks.

*poof!* you have a publishing company!

As long as you have songs you wrote which you still hold the rights to, you essentially have a "publishing company"

...but that really means nothing.

What is a REAL "publishing company"? a company that holds the rights to a bunch of songs and is in the business of finding places to get those songs used is ways that will generate money (i.e., getting the songs licensed in TV, films, commercials, etc)

Without the connections and infrastructure to successfully exploit the music, you do not really have a publishing company... you may own some copyrights, but it is not really a "publishing company"

Owning the "publishing rights" to your works does not make you a "publishing company"...

just like printing up a CD does not really make you a "record company"...

and just like cooking a hamburger in your kitchen does not make you a restaurant owner.

You don't have to think in terms of "how do I publish a beat"...

You write a song.

You own the "publishing rights."

If that song is played on the radio or is recorded "publishing money" is generated.

If you hold the "publishing rights", you get that money.

If your music is being performed (i.e., played) on the radio or on TV, you would affiliate yourself with a performance rights society like ASCAP or BMI... they collect that money for you.

If you get a "publishing deal" (i.e., you are signed with a "publishing company") that means the publishing company you signed with will use their skills and connections to get your music used in as many places as possible... tv shows, movies, commercials, sheet music, covers, etc. In return for their doing this, they get some portion of the money generated by your music.

Help* Do I need to have my beat Published? How??

Hello everybody. My name is Mayhem from Charlotte NC. I got a problem yall! Im a producer and Im getting a buzz around town as the person to go to for beats. Ive been selling my beats for Non-exclusive and Exclusive rights with contract. Well one of the rappers That I sold a non-exclusive beat to is about to sign a contract with Sony Music. What can I do to protect myself? I know a little about publishing but not enough. I never published or even copyrighted a beat. I DO HAVE BMI and register my work there. Somebody please Help. Thanks and Make it a great day!!!

Back