How do I get my name out there as a Music Producer?

¡AMsterdam

I am a very knowledgable and skilled music producer. I have a lot of high end gear, and I know how to write and mix music; particularly hip-hop & pop. But when it comes to marketing and networking, i'm not so skilled and pretty clueless about it.

My goal is to be a successful music producer in the music industry, but I find myself "swimming in circles", so to speak, as I really don't know what to do from here.

I have some demos of some of my music on Soundcloud, Reverbnation, and Facebook.

But what I don't understand is, as an up and coming producer trying to get into the business, do you just reach out to local talent and write and record mixtapes and/or records for artists? Do I contact more well known artists as well and see if they would be interested in working together?

If that's the case, what if you don't have the proper set up for recording their vocals on your track(s)? Do they then need to record their vocals on your music AFTER you have finished writing and mixing your songs?

Please let me know any and all information you have.

Thank you,

-¡AMsterdam

You just put yourself out there. Reaching out to local artist.... does that seem smart to you? If it does do it, if not then don't.

Leave it up to them to record their own vocals, that shouldn't be any of your concern unless you plan on producing them vs supplying them with an instrumental and you actually like recording artists

do it all get at everyone you can
link up with other music professional
get a website of your own
add high-end content to that site
you can contact me through pm or through my site by clicking on the link in my sig
like Cyko said keep getting out there

look into other ways to make money from your money then getting into the "industry"

-Coach Antonio

like Cyko said you have to keep getting out th

Get off the internet, get out of your studio, and start finding talent. Too many people rely on the internet to do the promotion for them. Talent means nothing without footworking and networking. You gotta get in your local scene and get the streets talking about you. Don't you have any club dj's where you at? That's a start.

I am a very knowledgable and skilled music producer. I have a lot of high end gear, and I know how to write and mix music; particularly hip-hop & pop. But when it comes to marketing and networking, i'm not so skilled and pretty clueless about it.

Stop making music and learn how to market and network.

I find that people focus too much on technical skills. Those only matter for very precise jobs. The real job skills to have are financial, marketing, managing, legal, and networking. You can sell anything with those skills. Everything else can pretty much be contracted out for a fee.

There are millions of people working hard to become technically proficient at a task or a skill set. But most will never be successful because they do not know how to sell themselves. They get scared and frustrated by the fact that less talented people get more fame, glory, and money. Selling yourself > Talent.

Last edited:
I have though of that, Cyko. The only issue is, I don't really know about how to send a message to an artist without coming across as spam. I'll find myself sending a genuine message to someone, and can't help but reread it and think that they'll believe i'm just spam. And while they'll be right that i'm not sending a message to JUST them, but other artists as well, it makes getting responses from these artists a lot more difficult. Plus, the search engines on sites like ReverbNation and Soundcloud are all but user-friendly.

---------- Post added at 10:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM ----------

Responding to "fataltone", i'm definitely not expecting to make a living right off the bat, I care a lot more about good exposure and word of mouth right now. It's the process of doing that that has become problematic.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

To "DJ Nelson", I have thought to use YouTube, but as I don't have access to a video recorder, it doesn't make sense to JUST post audio clips on a video driven website, right? I mean, even if it is, how would I promote myself on YouTube without coming across like spam?

I wish there was a website that was easy to search for local and major artists so it was easier to contact them in a more simple format and setting.

You Can Get Camtaisia, Or You Can Even Use Windows Movie Maker. When You Export Your File, And Put A Picture Of An Artist You Can See On The Beat, Such As My Video Right Here --> Kid Ink/Tyga Type Beat [Light It Up](Produced By @TheTruDJNelson) - YouTube When I Posted This, Kid Ink Just Came Out With A Mixtape And I Swept Through Youtube With This Instrumental. Name The Title Correctly, And Promote As Needed. I Didn't Pay For Any Promotion. I Just Shared It On My Twitter And Facebook Page. I Also Put My Most ANNOYING Tag In It, So People Wouldn't Steal My Beat.

I'm a strong believer in building relationships with artists. Find artists online and locally that you truly like and respect. Your initial contact with them shouldn't be a sales pitch. Start by letting them know you like the music they are putting out or re-tweet something they are promoting. Get on their radar by helping them out or showing appreciation. Only be real with it, don't do it just to promote what you are doing. Build relationships with them and when the time is right offer what you have to them. Produce some tracks for them at no cost to build your production credits. Reaching out to someone you have a built a relationship with won't be spammy because you truly do appreciate what they do musically. It's not like mass mailing you music with the same email to multiple artists. You will get much better response reaching out to artists and building relationships than you will mass mailing to multiple artists at a time about what you are doing.

Ok I just posted 3 tracks up on YouTube so far and I added an annoying tag to the records.

Can you tell me how you got 70,000 views, DJ Nelson? I typed in a bunch of keywords to a bunch of different rapper's names, plus quite a few other tags, but what else can I do to get the most views without having to pay for promotion? Any other advice and info would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

-¡AMsterdam

I Posted The Beat At The Time Artists Would Be Looking For A "Kid Ink Type Beat" , I Posted Right After Kid Ink's Mixtape Came Out, I Went With The Hype. I Posted It Everyday On My Facebook And Made Video Responses With It. Don't Be Afraid To Comment On Other People's Beats, Chances Are They'll Check Yours Out. Also, Don't Be Afraid To Ask Your Friends To Share The Video, All It Does It Help. And Last But Not Least, Focus On The Quality, Not Quantity (Better Beats = Less Beats) .. I'd Rather Have 4 Quarters Than 100 Pennies

Getting out there on the internet: Make any account that you can to get to connect to people, youtube, soundcloud, twitter, facebook page, tumblr, etc bruh just go all out, Of course this will take time if you going to do it right.

Tags: The more tags you use, the more hits you will get on youtube videos or whatever lets you tag content.

Getting out there in the real world: Talk to people man, if you see a dude that looks like he rap in a store, be like "yo do you rap?" and sh*t socialize, ask people if they rap/ make beats/ shoot videos/ know of spots, studios etc you get the drift. That way you can smoothly throw in that you're a producer and ask them to check you out.

Back