Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you start off making beats?

Thanks

How did you start off making beats?

Sign in to disable this ad
    For me, I started on the Playstation 1. There was this program called MTV Music Generator. It had a wide variety of instruments and an easy to use sequencing interface. Only problem was having to make edits using the controller for the PS.

How did you guys start?

Thanks
    Junior year in high school (2004). I always wanted to make music, I went to Best Buy and bought a program called Music Maker. A bunch of years later, here I am

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSkellington View Post
    Junior year in high school (2004). I always wanted to make music, I went to Best Buy and bought a program called Music Maker. A bunch of years later, here I am
    I remember Music Maker. I also remember the early days of Acid and Fruity Loops.

Thanks
    I started back in maybe 2002 or so? Me and my friends decided we were gonna be the next Beastie Boys and I was the only one of us that had any clue about music in general so I got stuck with the task of producing beats. They were total garbage at the time but I fell in love with that creative feeling. You know that one you get when you finish a beat, you listen back, and you grin ear to ear because YOU created it?

Well after High School I lost the drive to work on music, mainly had other things to deal with, like a job, or secondary school, or whatever.

I didn't get back into Producing until about 3 years ago, when I was just playing around for fun and my wife and a friend heard what I came up with and gave good feedback. Then that familiar drive came back, and I mean REALLY came back. I haven't been more focussed on anything in my life than I have my music production these last few years, and I am starting to see great progress, in myself, my brand, and my confidence.
    Last edited by Cerberux; 01-10-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    [SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/CerberuxMusic[/SOUNDCLOUD][FONT=impact][FONT=century gothic][COLOR=#ff0000]
    [/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberux View Post
    I started back in maybe 2002 or so? Me and my friends decided we were gonna be the next Beastie Boys and I was the only one of us that had any clue about music in general so I got stuck with the task of producing beats. They were total garbage at the time but I fell in love with that creative feeling. You know that one you get when you finish a beat, you listen back, and you grin ear to ear because YOU created it?

Well after High School I lost the drive to work on music, mainly had other things to deal with, like a job, or secondary school, or whatever.

I didn't get back into Producing until about 3 years ago, when I was just playing around for fun and my wife and a friend heard what I came up with and gave good feedback. Then that familiar drive came back, and I mean REALLY came back. I haven't been more focussed on anything in my life than I have my music production these last few years, and I am starting to see great progress, in myself, my brand, and my confidence.
    I know the feeling. You probably had all of this creative bottled up until you started back up again. Talent and Passion shine through on all projects. Good to see you got back into it.. Never too late. I like the beat in your sig. Good shit.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Central Beats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    tried mixcraft in 08 one time and didn't mess with another one of those daws till 2010.
    flstudio 8-11 was a main daw till 2014.
    Got started with reason in 2012, stuck to it since.
    Replaced fl with studio one in 2014 because of how 12 looked at the time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberux View Post

The first paragraph is exactly how I feel at the moment

Thanks
    School project.
    Most sixth forms (age 15-17) let you do something called the extended project qualification, where you go off and do a load of research on a topic and then either make something or write a big essay on it.

I chose 'merging classical and electronic dance music' so ended up writing a couple tracks. Just carried on from there
    Last edited by scrapheaper; 01-15-2016 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Was always into music from a very young age.

1. Listened to pretty much everything growing up but mostly hiphop/rap/R&B/Pop/Rock/Indie.

2. Took Choir for 4 years in grade school.

3. Got into DJing in college. (Still doing it/pursuing)

4. DJing led to wanting to produce beats/music.

5. Dabbled with Garageband for about a month. Decided to demo other DAWs but did not like them either.

6. Gave Ableton a try and have NOT LOOKED BACK.

I have been messing around with Ableton for almost 8 months and now...Here I am on Future Producers trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can.
    Last edited by Chew_Bear; 01-15-2016 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks
    My first music production program was acid. I was like 14 years old then, it was interesting but I didn't understand a thing, also, English is not my main language so it was even harder, eventually i uninstalled the program. Later on i discovered Fl studio and little by little i started producing tracks, they were short, simple, nothing special but after lots of breaks something similar to a Song started to come out. I'm not calling myself real producer yet but I had 3 of my tracks played by radio and the feedback was positive. I don't have any expensive gear, just laptop, headphones and my fathers old speakers. Im really encouraged and inspired by the ideas of making future house, I like tchami and all the other cool guys who make it I like the intros and sharp drops but when i try to make something similar, nothing good happens. Anyways if anyone is interested it is easy to find my tracks in soundcloud just write in search Lukaszomusic, apparently I cant post links yet Have a nice day

Thread Information